Cinzia Altobelli (MSc RGN UKCP reg Psychotherapist/Counsellor & Supervisor)
I am a UKCP registered Integrative psychotherapist/counsellor, supervisor and trainer with additional expertise in families and addiction.
I have 20 years' experience working therapeutically in settings including the NHS, the charity & private sector, helping individuals, couples and families with a wide range of moderate to complex problems.I work with anxiety,depression,trauma,relationships,bereavement and family issues.
I believe the relationship you have with yourself and others is 'key' and I work to get a better understanding of how this, together with beliefs, feelings and repetitive patterns of behaviours, can get in the way of communication and realizing your full potential.
I use different theories to understand and support clients with different issues, to provide a more tailored approach and greater range of options. I like to work collaboratively and offer short term or long term sessions according to needs and personal preference.
I am based in Shaftesbury, North Dorset within close reach of Wiltshire and Somerset.
In the present circumstances I am only available to work online (via telephone/ skype/zoom/facetime) . Clients report that "online sessions may take a little while to get used to, but that the benefits outweigh the possible downside in the absence of a safe alternative".
Please contact me by email or phone: 07487 752465
- "Cinzia Altobelli is an exceptional psychotherapist. Her expertise guided me through a difficult period and I came to know myself better.
In particular Cinzia's expertise in understanding family patterns and her knowledge of addiction were ground breaking for me.I met many other therapists before finding Cinzia,I worked with her for a year and she is without equal, in my experience."
- "When I first started seeing Cinzia I was going through a really tough period in my life; the stress levels at work was the main reason for my unhappiness, but behind all this was a life-long feeling of low self-esteem and perfectionism, of never being good enough and not ever living up to anyone's expectations. All I wanted was to be like everyone else, blend in, be accepted. The alternative was hiding from the world and running away. Thanks to Cinzia I have over the last 6 months learned to accept myself as the person I am, set myself reasonable goals and give myself credit for reaching them. Cinzia has taught me how to identify negative thoughts, how to break the pattern of negative thoughts and stay focused in difficult situations. I have learned how to be my own coach and friend, and I have learned to take control over my thoughts and most of all how important it is to take care of myself. Thanks to Cinzia I have achieved much more both personally and professionally than I ever thought I would."
- "The work that we did together has made me so strong from the inside out, and although I know there are tough times ahead, I am in the best place I have ever been to date, to deal with this".
Training, qualifications & experience
I have been a UKCP registered psychotherapist since 2005 and a qualified psychodynamic counsellor since 1992. I have been working as a clinical supervisor since 2007.
Experience & skills
- Clinical Assessment, risk management, treatment planning
- Knowledge & ability to use a wide range of therapeutic models to meet a variety of complex presentations( trauma, depression, anxiety,relationships & family issues)
- Individual, Couples, families & group facilitation skills
- Addiction families' specialist
- Experienced clinical supervisor (individuals & groups)
- Experienced trainer
Relevant training & Qualifications
- MSc in integrative Psychotherapy
- Diploma in integrative Psychotherapy
- Certificate in Supervision
- Certificate Mentalization based Treatment(MBT) for families
- Certificate in counselling skills with children
- Certificate in Motivational Interviewing with Families
- Diploma in Psychodynamic Counselling
- Diploma as a Registered General Nurse
Specialist Trauma Training: 'Because words are not enough'
Sensorimotor Psychotherapy Training for the treatment of trauma: Affect disregulation Survival responses,and Trauma memory.
Sensorimotor Psychotherapy Training Level 2:Affect regulation attachment and Trauma.
This is a more gentle & effective way of working with trauma through the body's responses. Grounding techniques and ways to regulate automatic responses to traumatic events are explored so that you have more control and can make sense of your experience.
In addition to my experience as a psychotherapist I have attended a diploma coaching training and can offer some helpful tools and a different perspective to benefit clients and supervisees.
Please contact me by email or phone:07487 752465
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
UK Council for Psychotherapy
The UK Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP) is a leading professional body for the education, training and regulation of psychotherapists and psychotherapeutic counsellors. Its register is accredited by the government's Professional Standards Authority.
As part of its commitment to protect the public, it works to improve access to psychotherapy, to support and disseminate research, to improve standards and to respond effectively to complaints against its members.
UKCP standards cover the range of different psychotherapies. Registration is obtained by training or accrediting with one of its member organisations, or by holding a European Certificate in Psychotherapy. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Adult, children and young people affected by the addiction of another either currently or historically.
£50 x 1 hr session (individuals)
£60 x 1 hr session (Couples)
£65 x 1 hr session (Families)
Concessions negotiable depending on individual circumstances.
I offer an initial free telephone consultation prior to making an online appointment so that I can find out a little more about you and answer any questions you may have. There is no obligation to book an appointment after that. If I am not able to help I will do my best to signpost you in the right direction.
Concessions offered for
Families & Addiction
I have worked in the field of addiction for the charity For Families, Action on Addiction (formerly Clouds) for 15 years and was the Leader of Therapeutic services from 2007-2015. In my role I managed a team of counsellors, helped individuals, couples, families & children to make sense of their experience living with the effects (current or historic) of another’s addiction and recovery.
Adults, children and young people living in families affected by addiction can suffer from unrecognised emotional and psychological scars which affect how they view and experience themselves, relationships and the world around them. As all the focus is often on helping the person suffering from addiction, people living with its effects can often be overlooked. I feel passionate about the need for them to access therapeutic support so that the far reaching effects of living with such an experience can be undone.
I am on the list of UKCP accredited supervisors and have been providing supervision to individuals and teams since 2007 in a variety of projects and contexts.
Training developed & delivered
I have developed several CPD training programmes accredited by Bath University around the effects of addiction on families since 2007. I was also commissioned many others short training day/s. Topics included: the Hidden Harm, Supervision, Systemic Thinking, Domestic abuse & substance misuse.
More recent training
I have been commissioned to write a Clinical Supervision for Healthcare professionals online training by Relias ( published August 2018)
I have co-designed and co-delivered a training commissioned by Tower Hamlets aimed at parents in recovery.
Altobelli, C Payne, C (2014) ‘Noticing the Hidden Harm’ Children &Young People BACP Journal
Altobelli, C (2014 ) ’The good enough supervisor’ Children &Young People BACP, 38-41 Journal CP,07-08.
Altobelli, C (2011) Gender difference, Families Upfront Adfam Sept-Nov Issue 2, 16-17.
Altobelli, C Rawlinson, M (2011) 'Thinking beyond the individual 'a diary of a training week. DDN magazine
Please contact me by email or phone:07487 752465