Charlotte Thomas, BACP Accredited Counsellor/Psychotherapist & Supervisor
I am a qualified, BACP accredited, person-centred counsellor and psychotherapist based in Worthing. I work with individuals and couples. I am also a supervisor.
Take a moment to read about Katie's first counselling session:
We are at the very beginning of our first counselling session and Katie looks straight at me as if she is looking in my face for the answer. She says:
‘I have a comfortable home, two beautiful children and a partner who loves me – so why do I feel like this?
She goes on:
‘I don’t deserve counselling, you should be seeing someone with real problems. I am just being silly ………’.
Her tears begin to flow and she squeezes a damp tissue tightly in her fist and says:
‘….. I should not be here’
But she shows no signs of leaving and we begin.
This confusion is not uncommon. Many clients like Katie do not understand why they feel so sad and depressed and come to counselling for the first time feeling unworthy and undeserving. They have come for help because, despite all the good things in their lives, they are unhappy and are struggling to cope.
Sometimes people and couples need a little support and talking things through, with somebody who will listen and not make judgements, really seems to help.
You may be able to name what is bothering you and you may need a little help to get your thoughts clear and regain control. You may be dealing with a difficult transition such as older age, separation, adjusting to a new family or coping with a difficult relationship. It may be bereavement, loneliness, relationship difficulties, poor health or issues at work. The current economic situation, growing levels of unemployment, the fear of losing a job and getting into debt are all leaving people more vulnerable. Whatever the reasons for your sadness or depression you may benefit from therapy.
What To Expect
Sessions are in my own private counselling rooms and there is parking outside.
I offer sessions during the day time and early evening and I also have sessions at the weekend.
We can work together on the issues you bring, such as depression, stress and anxiety, the loss of a loved one, relationships at home and at work and any other changes that you want to make in your life.
I believe every person is individual, and together we can find, develop and release your unique qualities and strengths. I also work with couples on issues arising in the relationship and in the family.
I offer a warm welcome to clients who are Lesbian, Gay and Bisexual and I offer a trans-affirmative practice. I am delighted to work with a diversity of clients including those with issues around their gender identity.
My practice is informed by my own reading, research and writing and my approaches are designed to allow clients to achieve their greatest potential using therapy tailored to meet individual needs. I am a fully qualified person-centred counsellor with experience of Cognitive Behavioural Techniques and other approaches.
Training, qualifications & experience
I have come to counselling later on in life after a career in Human Resource Management.
I have the following qualifications:
- I am an individual accredited member of the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP)
- I have joined the BACP register accredited by the Professional Standards Authority
- Essential Supervision Skills - British Psychological Society (BPS) approved certificate in clinical supervision
- Higher Diploma in Psychotherapeutic Counselling
- Advance Diploma in Counselling and Psychotherapy (with Distinction)
- Diploma in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
- TA 101 and I also studied Transactional Analysis for two years at Wealdon Colleage in Crowborough
- I am a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD)
- I am a coach accredited by the Institute of Human Development
- I am also an accredited Facilitator and Mediator
- Master degree in Politics and Public Administration
- First degree in Philosophy
From time-to-time, and when there is demand, I run small therapy groups often on a particular theme such as stress, anxiety, grief, loss and depression. Please contact me if you would be interested in joining a therapy group meeting fortnightly in Worthing.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Schizoid personality disorder
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Photos & videos
All initial assessments are free of charge for all clients
I charge £40 for a one-hour session for individual counselling
I charge £60 for couples and this is usually for a 90 minute session
I will consider concessions in all cases of real hardship
I also offer supervision
From time to time I organise therapy groups and the charge is £15 per session. Let me know if you are interested in joining a group or working with me to set up a group
- The sudden death of granny Heather
- Some perspectives on improving access to psychological therapies (IAPT)
- Exploring how Prejudice can Impact on Therapy with Older Adults
- The relationship triangle of Pusscat, Tiger and Paul
- How well does bereavement counselling provide for the particular needs of trans people
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I am available for appointments during the week and at weekends. Also offering supervision.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|