Dr Charlotte Mawbey BSc (Hons)., MSc., DClinPsy., CPsychol., HCPCReg.
Dr Charlotte Mawbey
2A Prebend Street
I am a Consultant Clinical Psychologist and Neuropsychologist working both privately and in the NHS. This means that I have expertise in assessing and treating a range of psychological difficulties including depression/low mood, anxiety/generalised anxiety disorder, panic, OCD, agoraphobia, body dysmorphic disorder, PTSD and so on.
I provide gold standard talking therapies, that are flexibly tailored to the individual so that you can get the most out of every session. I believe that the client is the expert on themselves and the Psychologist the expert on the psychology, and that in working together, therapy can successfully assist in helping even complex and longstanding difficulties.
No problem is too small, however it is the impact that it has that can feel unmanageable. I also believe that every therapist and therapy varies and that it's worth finding a good fit for you, even if sessions have not been helpful previously. In fact, many of my clients come to be saying "CBT hasn't worked before" but there may have been a range of factors affecting the work that they did, so please get in touch for a chat to figure out if we can tackle the issue in a different way.
I tailor therapy so that the individual gets the most out of their sessions, as one type of therapy doesn't necessarily suit everybody. I practice exclusively using evidence-based therapies that have been found, through extensive research and clinical trials, to successfully target whatever the difficulty may be. These are the gold standard frontline talking therapies that are recommended by the National Institute of Clinical Excellence (NICE). You can view the recommended guidelines for different types of difficulty here: https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/conditions-and-diseases/mental-health-and-behavioural-conditions
You will also notice I do not cater for a long shopping list of difficulties and do not offer a confusing list of twenty different therapy types. This is because my training has been specialist and specific - I prefer not to "dabble" in lots of different approaches, ensuring that I deliver high quality services in the areas in which I have full competence and expertise.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Professional Doctorate in Clinical Psychology (DClinPsy)
- Masters degree in Cognitive Neuroscience and Cognitive Neuropsychology (MSc)
- First Class Bachelor of Science degree in Psychology, with Honours (BSc Hons)
- Applied Behavioural Analysis (ABA) therapist.
I have over 10 years of experience working privately and in the NHS with clients from all walks of life who are experiencing emotional and psychological changes. This work includes managing teams, supervising other Clinical Psychologists up to band 8A level.
Memberships and accreditation
- I am a Chartered Clinical Psychologist (CPsychol) with the British Psychological Society (BPS)
- I am also a member of two BPS specialist divisions: the Division of Clinical Psychology and the Division of Neuropsychology
- I am also a registered Practitioner Psychological with the Health Care Professionals Council (HCPC)
- I am also a member of the Society of Sports Neuropsychology.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anger management
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Emotional abuse
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
Please contact me in order to discuss current fees.
I specialise in the NHS as a Consultant Clinical Neuropsychologist and also offer neuropsychological and psychological assessment, therapy and rehabilitation for physical health and neurological conditions, including (but not limited to):
- Acquired disorders: traumatic brain injury, concussion, stroke, epilepsy, brain tumours and brain cancer, spinal cord injuries
- Neurodegenerative disorders e.g. Parkinson's disease and multiple sclerosis
- Memory disorders e.g. Alzheimer's disease and vascular dementia
- Physical health conditions: diabetes, cardiac, pain etc.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I provide home visits in the local and surrounding areas for health and neurology clients who are unable to access a first floor clinic room. Please contact me for further details.
Appointments are provided flexibly in order to suit the schedules of clients as best as possible. Please do contact me to discuss what works best.
Types of client