Charlotte Leyburn Humanistic Psychotherapeutic Counsellor MBACP
9a Princes Street
69 Church Rd
I know that seeking support is not always easy, yet it is an important first step towards change when you are finding life difficult or feeling stuck.
I am a professional and qualified counsellor offering a confidential and supportive space to talk about whatever you want to bring. That may be something specific, such as a loss or bereavement, or a more general feeling of anxiety, low mood or depression.
I work in comfortable dedicated therapy rooms in Brighton and Hove which are easily accessible by public transport.
If you would like to meet to see whether counselling with me feels right for you please get in touch for an initial exploratory session.
More about me and how I work
I am a qualified humanistic counsellor and my practice draws on Person Centred, Existential and Gestalt theory. This means that counselling with you will not follow a one size fits all approach. I work in a warm and supportive way and seek to understand what you want to gain from counselling and your unique way of experiencing the world. I will support you in developing awareness of how you relate to yourself and others. I believe that the possibility for change comes through greater awareness, human connection and self-acceptance.
My experience includes counselling for a wide range of issues including depression, anxiety, bereavement and loss, living with long term health issues, social anxiety, anger issues and transitioning to parenthood. I have worked for both East Sussex NHS Trust and Brighton NHS Trust offering counselling and support to parents and parents to be. I also work for a local low cost counselling service.
I believe that finding the right counsellor is important which is why I offer a 30 minute exploratory session for £20 so that you can meet me and decide whether counselling with me feels right for you.
Training, qualifications & experience
Professional & academic qualifications
- Postgraduate Diploma in Humanistic Psychotherapeutic Counselling from Brighton University
- NCFE Award in Counselling Skills and Theory Level 3
- CPCAB Award in Counselling Skills Level 2
- MA Environment, Policy & Society
- BA hons European studies with languages
I attend regular ongoing professional training and development including recent training in: suicide prevention, trauma, LGBTQ awareness, relationship training, breast feeding and bonding with newborns
Counselling experience & memberships
- Counsellor for As You Are - an affordable community counselling service in Southwick
- Volunteer Counsellor for Afterthoughts, an East Sussex NHS Trust service for new parents and parents to be around postnatal depression and anxiety, transitioning to parenthood, difficulties conceiving and miscarriage.
- Parent Supporter for Brighton NHS Trust around bonding with newborns and breast and bottle feeding.
- Registered with the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) and abide by their code of ethics.
- I hold an enhanced DBS certificate.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Asperger's syndrome
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Difficulty adjusting to parenthood including postnatal anxiety and depression
£20 for an initial 30 minute exploratory session.
£45 per 50 minute session thereafter.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
If you require wheelchair access please contact me as I may be able to arrange an accessible location
Please contact me for availability during weekdays. Currently unavailable in the evenings.
Types of client