Charlotte Leyburn Humanistic Psychotherapeutic Counsellor MBACP
I am a BACP registered counsellor with experience supporting people with anxiety, depression, self-esteem, bereavement, relationship issues, separation and divorce, fertility, postnatal depression, miscarriage and other issues.
I offer a confidential and supportive space to talk about whatever you want to bring whether that is something specific or a more general feeling that things aren't right that you can't quite put your finger on.
Seeking support can be difficult and you may feel anxious about meeting for the first time. I offer an initial reduced cost session for us to talk about what is troubling you and how you would like things to be different. Alternatively we can arrange a phone call to discuss your needs. Feel free to bring any questions you may have about counselling or about my approach. I offer both short term counselling, usually between 4 - 12 sessions, or more open-ended counselling.
I work in comfortable dedicated therapy rooms in Brighton, Hove & Hurstpierpoint.
More about me and how I work
I am a qualified humanistic psychotherapeutic counsellor, with a postgraduate diploma from the University of Brighton. My training was in Person Centred, Existential and Gestalt theory. In practice this means that counselling with you will not follow a one size fits all approach. Instead I will seek to understand what you want to gain from counselling and your unique way of experiencing the world. Together we will explore your thoughts, feelings and ways of coping with your difficulties with the aim of achieving the changes that you want to make in your life.
I have worked for both East Sussex NHS Trust and Brighton NHS Trust offering counselling and support to parents and parents to be. I also work for a local community counselling service and in private practice.
I believe that finding the right counsellor is important which is why I offer an initial exploratory session for £20 so that you can meet me and discuss your needs.
If you have any questions please do not hesitate to get in touch.
Training, qualifications & experience
Professional & academic qualifications
- Postgraduate Diploma in Humanistic Psychotherapeutic Counselling from Brighton University
- NCFE Award in Counselling Skills and Theory Level 3
- CPCAB Award in Counselling Skills Level 2
- MA Environment, Policy & Society
- BA hons European studies with languages
Further training: I attend regular ongoing professional training and development including recent training in:
- suicide prevention
- LGBTQ awareness
- creative therapies
- NHS safeguarding
- NHS perinatal mental health
- NHS infant feeding and bonding with newborns
Counselling experience & memberships
- Counsellor for As You Are - an affordable community counselling service in Southwick
- Volunteer Counsellor for Afterthoughts, an East Sussex NHS Trust service for new parents and parents to be around postnatal depression and anxiety, transitioning to parenthood, family issues, difficulties conceiving and miscarriage.
- Parent Supporter for Brighton NHS Trust around bonding with newborns and breast and bottle feeding.
- Registered with the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) and abide by their code of ethics.
- I hold an enhanced DBS certificate.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Asperger's syndrome
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Physical abuse
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Difficulty adjusting to parenthood including postnatal anxiety and depression
£20 for an initial exploratory session.
£40 - 45 per 50 minute session thereafter.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
If you require wheelchair access please contact me as I may be able to arrange an accessible location
I currently have weekday availability. Please contact me for more details.
Types of client