Charlotte Leyburn Humanistic Psychotherapeutic Counsellor MBACP
9a Princes Street
The Palmeira Practice
2a Church Road
I am a BACP registered counsellor offering a confidential and supportive space to talk about whatever you want to bring. That may be something specific, such as anxiety, depression or relationship issues, or a more general feeling that things aren't right that you can't quite put your finger on.
Seeking support can be difficult and you may feel anxious about meeting for the first time. I offer an initial reduced cost session for us to talk about what is troubling you and how you would like things to be different. Feel free to bring any questions you may have about counselling or about my approach. I offer both short term counselling, usually between 6 - 12 sessions, or more open-ended counselling.
I work in comfortable dedicated therapy rooms in Brighton and Hove which are easily accessible by public transport.
More about me and how I work
I am a qualified humanistic counsellor and my practice draws on Person Centred, Existential and Gestalt theory. This means that counselling with you will not follow a one size fits all approach. Instead I aim to work in a way that will be of most help to you. I work in a warm and supportive way and seek to understand what you want to gain from counselling and your unique way of experiencing the world. I will support you in developing greater awareness of how you relate to yourself and others which will then give you more choice in how to respond to the challenges that life inevitably throws at us.
My experience includes counselling for a wide range of issues including depression, anxiety, bereavement and loss, living with long term health issues, social anxiety, anger issues and transitioning to parenthood. I have worked for both East Sussex NHS Trust and Brighton NHS Trust offering counselling and support to parents and parents to be. I also work for a local community counselling service.
I believe that finding the right counsellor is important which is why I offer an initial exploratory session for £20 so that you can meet me and discuss your needs.
If you have any questions please do not hesitate to get in touch.
Training, qualifications & experience
Professional & academic qualifications
- Postgraduate Diploma in Humanistic Psychotherapeutic Counselling from Brighton University
- NCFE Award in Counselling Skills and Theory Level 3
- CPCAB Award in Counselling Skills Level 2
- MA Environment, Policy & Society
- BA hons European studies with languages
I attend regular ongoing professional training and development including recent training in: suicide prevention, trauma, LGBTQ awareness, relationships, breast feeding and bonding with newborns
Counselling experience & memberships
- Counsellor for As You Are - an affordable community counselling service in Southwick
- Volunteer Counsellor for Afterthoughts, an East Sussex NHS Trust service for new parents and parents to be around postnatal depression and anxiety, transitioning to parenthood, difficulties conceiving and miscarriage.
- Parent Supporter for Brighton NHS Trust around bonding with newborns and breast and bottle feeding.
- Registered with the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) and abide by their code of ethics.
- I hold an enhanced DBS certificate.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Asperger's syndrome
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Physical abuse
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Difficulty adjusting to parenthood including postnatal anxiety and depression
£20 for an initial exploratory session.
£40 per 50 minute session thereafter.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
If you require wheelchair access please contact me as I may be able to arrange an accessible location
I currently have availability Monday-Friday 10-2
Types of client