Cathryn Smith (Counsellor & Psychotherapist)
Until I trained to be a counsellor/psychotherapist I ran my own small business while bringing up 3 children with all the pleasure/stress that brought.
I feel I am non judgmental, warm and accepting of difference and diversity. I originally trained to work with individual people. When I joined Relate 6 years ago, I trained to work with couples and families. Since then I have become a non contact, psychosexual and sex addiction/compulsivity therapist. I particularly like this work and I hope to work more with sexual identity/trans/bdsm/gay/lesbian clients.
Many people and couples struggle at times with their intimate sex lives. Some sessions can bring about a change that makes individuals and couples feel more fulfilled and therefor happy. We live in a society that gives very mixed messages around sex, and being in a safe place where these things can be discussed with a professional can be very liberating.
I currently offer assessments at half price to enable people to experience counselling to see if it is for them. Please call me on: 07773535351 or click here to send me an email.
I offer small group talks on my work as a sex therapist so if anyone would like to get a group of friends and acquaintances together I am happy to give an hour's informal free talk. Petrol cost only.
Individual therapy allows the time and space to talk and explore issues that affect people’s quality of life. Talking to a professional who is interested in you and has your holistic welfare as their main priority can start someone on a life long journey of understanding and valuing themselves. A lot of people to not have the experience of good listening and have a person to witness their life so far. I offer clear insight, compassion and solid clinical knowledge in a very understandable form in a relaxed atmosphere.
Family Therapy (Relate Trained)
All families have problems. Each family is unique in what they find difficult. Arguments are inevitable. However over a long period arguments cause stress for everyone. Sometimes the family system goes off kilter. Family counselling gives everyone a chance to make their views and wishes heard, to look at what family stories are being privileged above other equally valuable stories. Whether in an original or blended family, 5 or 50 everyone is valued in Family Therapy. Why not give family therapy a try?
Relationship/Couple Therapy (Relate Trained)
- Do all your relationship end with a similar pattern?
- Do you shut down because you feel you can never get it right?
- Do you put a lid on your feelings in the hope it will stop the arguing from boiling over?
- Do you over react (up the anti) in the hope you will get a response from your non responsive partner?
- Do you feel scared when you are unsure of your connection to the person you love?
- Has their been an affair or are you tempted to have an affair?
- When any of these happen, do you tumble into a spiral of insecurity and isolation that you feel could be overwhelming?
If you are heading for, or are in a constant repetitive cycle with a significant ‘other’ it could be that relationship counselling could help.
Psychosexual Therapy (Relate Trained)
I an told I am warm, able to put people at ease, and very empathic where there are sexual problems either with an individual or in the couple relationship. I am happy to work with all genders. Sexual difficulties respond well to psychosexual therapy, as does general malaise in a sexual relationship. Specific targeted problems include:
- Vaginismus: Muscle spasms making sexual intercourse painful.
- Inhibited Orgasm: either never having experienced orgasm or cannot under certain circumstances.
- Arousal disorder: has desire but has difficulty in becoming aroused or has very little/no desire.
- Sexual phobias or aversions.
- Erectile dysfunction: rapid or delayed or not strong enough for penetration.
There is no age limit to improving a sexual relationship. Even if it’s a sexual relationship with ourselves. This in turn has a very positive impact on the whole relationship, our quality of life and self esteem.
There are set tasks to practice at home with lots of laughter and positivity in the counselling room. Most find this a highly rewarding experience. In psychosexual therapy things that that would be embarrassing to tell a friend can be shared.
It is possible for passionate sex to last/re blossom in the longest relationship and to reconcile the domestic and the erotic.
Sexual Addiction (ATSAC trained)
Sexual compulsion (or sex addiction). Family, friends, hobbies and other physical needs are neglected in pursuit of excitement and relief. Bouts of abstinence do not last as the brain has been re programmed. Unlike drugs and alcohol, which can be given up unconditionally, sex is a basic drive and part of who we are, so a specialist is needed to steer you through the painful withdrawal to a new way of being a sexual person.
The newest and most challenging mental health problem in this area is pornography. Real intimacy suffers as a relationship on a computer has none of the challenges of real life and is available 24/7 at the click of the mouse.
Cybersex, chat rooms, stalking, using prostitutes are also increasing due to technology. The addict is on a vicious circle of stress, isolation and alienation, whilst their actions violate all their values.
Love addiction drives people to consistently choose unsuitable and often abusive partners. The need for constant attention and 'love' is often a symptom of challenging childhood relationships alongside undervaluing themselves as deserving better.
PARTNERS of sexually compulsive people can be supported and understood through the heart/life shattering realisation that a partner has possibly been acting out through some of the most important moments of their relationship. Families, friends, hobbies, finances/work and other physical needs are all neglected once compulsive use takes hold Partners of sexually compulsive people feel that their world, as they believed it to be, is completely shattered and that their trust has been betrayed. Support and professional help is available for all the above.
Please call me on: 07773535351 or click here to send me an email.
Training, qualifications & experience
- British Association of Counselling Practitioners (BACP) accredited. 615552.
- Professional Development Certificate in Counselling Skills 2010.
- Place2Be Volunteer Training Programme, 2007.
- Advanced Certificate in Systemic Practice with Families and Couples 2011.
- UKRCP Registered Independent Counsellor/Psychotherapist. 2011
- Working with Couples. Relate Institute 2011.
- HABC level 3. Preparing to Teach. 2013
- Psychosexual Therapy Post Graduate Diploma. 2014
- Association for the Treatment of Sexual Addiction and Compulsivity. (ATSAC) 2014
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Attachment disorder
- Domestic violence
- Family issues
- Gender dysphoria
- Hearing voices
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Personality disorders
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
Other areas of counselling I deal with
- Sexual compulsivity and addiction.
- Love addiction.
- Obsessive compulsive disorder
- Women’s life stages
- Sexual identity.
My fee is £60 per session.
I offer half price assessments £30.
I am able to work from Chelmsford and Southend. Please enquire as to cost.
I believe everyone should be able to access therapy if they need it. So if the price is prohibitive, I hope people feel they can talk to me about this.
Please see my website for further information on the services I offer.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I work Monday to Friday from 7am ( for early risers) till 7pm. Occasionally I work on Saturdays. I am available to take phone calls up till 9pm and respond to voicemails as soon as possible.
Types of client