Catherine Cowie M.Sc. (Counselling), B.Sc., MBACP
It would be a privilage to welcome you to my person-centred counselling practice in Alloway, South Ayrshire.
Making the decision to begin a counselling relationship is a very personal process. Before committing yourself, you're likely to want to find out if counselling feels right for you, and to decide whether or not the counsellor you're considering seems like someone you'd be comfortable working with. You're most welcome to make preliminary contact with me, without any obligation, so we can explore together whether I'd be the counsellor for you. You can get in touch with me through my website (www.catherinecowiecounselling.co.uk), by phoning (voicemail inbox), by sending a text or by e-mailing me.
Again and again I see changes unfolding in my clients. My way of working with clients is based on the fundamental understandings at the heart of the person-centred approach. These include the viewpoint that since each person's set of experiences is unique to them, so too is each person's way of perceiving and responding to the world. It would be my job as your counsellor to learn from you what it's like to lead your life.
It has been demonstrated repeatedly that just being in the type of relationship where you are warmly accepted and accurately understood can be healing and can release the creative, developmental tendency that every person is born with. You too can move forward from the place you're in now with my help. As an experienced and skilled person-centred counsellor, I'd be committed to understanding you and offering you a genuine, non-judgmental and confidential relationship in a physically and emotionally safe place. If this sounds like something you'd like to try, why not get in touch?
- I work with adults (aged 18 years or over) and young adults (aged 14 years -17 years) on an individual basis. I do not work with couples or groups.
- I have particular experience of working with students.
- Appointments are available on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays, daytime and early evening. I may also be able to offer appointments at other times by arrangement.
- Session last around 50 minutes though a first session may take 75 - 90 minutes (to allow for necessary administrative tasks).
- Normally I'll see clients weekly, though if circumstances require (e.g. to fit with irregular work patterns) appointments can be more or less frequent than this.
- When clients can't get to me regularly, we can work via Skype.
- Personal change goes at its own pace so it's difficult to estimate how many sessions an individual will need. Many clients feel insufficiently ready to end in fewer than six sessions, but it's important that clients feel in control in the counselling relationship - the decision to end is always in the client's hands.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Master of Science (M.Sc.) in Counselling (University of Strathclyde)
- Postgraduate Certificate in Adult Educational Guidance (University of Strathclyde)
- Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) in Physics and Mathematics (University of Edinburgh)
- Accredited register membership of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP)
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Carer support
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Gender dysphoria
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Separation and divorce
- Sexual abuse
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Person-centred therapists do not work within a framework of specific treatments for specific disorders or issues. Instead, person-centred therapy (PCT) takes a holistic approach to working with clients and the impact their life issues have had on them. The 'areas of counselling' listed above indicate my experience of working with clients who understand the issues listed to be their area(s) of concern.
My fees for professional services are:
- £40 per session
- It matters to me that counselling be available to everybody, irrespective of income. I therefore have a few reduced-cost places available to low waged or unwaged clients.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
The access path to the premises has a gentle downhill gradient, and there are two steps to the front door. Clients are welcome to use the WC adjacent to the consulting room.
Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. Daytime and early evening appointments. Appointments may be available at other times by arrangement.
Types of client