Counsellor/Psychotherapist, Trainer, and Clinical Supervisor MBACP
Every professional displayed on Counselling Directory has been independently
verified by our team to ensure they have suitable credentials to practise.
Every professional displayed on Counselling Directory has been independently verified by our team to ensure they have suitable credentials to practise.
Approachable and experienced counsellor providing short-term counselling and longer-term psychotherapy. Based in New Mills, High Peak. Accessible by car, bus, train from Stockport, Buxton and all surrounding areas. I offer weekday appointments. I also provide training to organisations and individuals, and clinical supervision to other counsellors and trainees.
Are you finding life difficult at the moment? If so you are not alone.
Whatever you are going through may leave you feeling depressed, angry, frustrated, or sad. You may even feel as if you are going mad, and wondering how things will ever get better. Believe me – they will! Please be reassured that in most cases we can work through things together in a respectful, supportive, confidential and safe manner to bring a sense of fulfilment back into your life.
I am proud of my trusted background as a qualified and experienced Registered General Nurse of 20+ years, having worked both in private practice and in the NHS. Alongside my private psychotherapy practice, I also work as a volunteer counsellor for a nationally recognised Queens award-winning national charity.
I am registered with the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy and I work according to BACP and UKCP Ethical Frameworks. I have full professional indemnity insurance and an enhanced disclosure certificate (DBS). I support my practice with regular self-development work including Personal Therapy and mandatory Clinical Supervision (both 1-2-1 and Group). This means you can be assured that you will always be safe and well protected throughout our work together.
Training, qualifications & experience
- PTLLS - Practice to Teach in the Life Long Sector (2020)
- Transactional Analysis from an Integrative Perspective / Advanced Transactional Analysis Psychotherapy (Post-Graduate Diploma Level 7 - Manchester Institute for Psychotherapy 2018)
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (Diploma - International Alliance of Holistic Therapists 2015)
- CBT (Petruzzi Centre of Excellence 2015)
- Drug and Alcohol Counselling (Diploma - SNHS 2006)
- Advanced Stress Management (SNHS 2006)
- Hypnotherapy (Diploma - SNHS 2004)
- Professional Relaxation Therapy (SNHS 2004)
- Professional Studies in Nursing (Diploma - Manchester University 1995)
- Online Therapy Training: Telehealth for Mental Health Professionals (2020)
- Couples Therapy - Introduction to Imago therapy and ACT matrix (2019)
- Relational & Integrative Psychotherapy 5 day Experiential Workshop (Erskine, PhD, 2017)
- Neuro-Linguistic Programming (training towards Diploma is ongoing)
- Suicide Prevention (Stockport MBC 2017)
- Anger and Rage - history, manifestation, and management (2016)
- The Psychology of Suicide and Self-Harm (2015 & 2016)
- Survivors of Trauma (Masterclass - Beacon Counselling) (2015)
- Understanding and working with Obesity (2015)
- Cognitive Behavioural Approach to Condition Management (UFP Ltd 2009)
Individual and couples private practice psychotherapy (home-based practice and Manchester Institute for Psychotherapy - 2014-2018)
Individual counselling (volunteer - Beacon Counselling, Stockport 2016-2018)
Condition Management Consultant using CBT approach for depression and anxiety (Government Return to Work Programme 2009-2011)
Over 20 years experience as a Registered General Nurse (RGN - (NHS and private)
- 2011 - Rehabilitation Case Manager of the Year (Rehab First Awards)
- 2013 - Case Manager of the Year (CMSUK)
- BACP - British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy
- NMC - Nursing and Midwifery Council
- UKATA - United Kingdom Association for Transactional Analysis
- ITAA - International Transactional Analysis Association
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy (BACP)
BACP is one of the UK’s leading professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy with around 60,000 members. The Association has several different categories of membership, including Student Member, Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP, Registered Accredited Member MBACP (Accred) and Senior Registered Accredited Member MBACP (Snr Acccred).
Registered and accredited members are listed on the BACP Register, which shows that they have demonstrated BACP’s recommended standards for training, proficiency and ethical practice. The BACP Register was the first register of psychological therapists to be accredited by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
Accredited and senior accredited membership are voluntary categories for members who choose to undertake a rigorous application and assessment process to demonstrate additional standards around practice, training and supervision.
Individual members will have completed an appropriate counselling or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but they won’t appear on the BACP Register until they've demonstrated that they meet the standards for registration. Student members are still in the process of completing their training.
All members are bound by the BACP Ethical Framework and a Professional Conduct Procedure.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Service Duration Fee
Introductory telephone contact 15 minutes Free
Introductory face to face session 30 minutes £25
Individual Therapy Session 50 minutes £50
Couples Therapy Session 60 minutes £75
Couples Therapy Session (extended) 90 minutes £100
Life and Career Coaching 60 minutes £75
Supervision 60 minutes £65
Supervision (extended) 90 minutes £90
Training (max group size of 8 people) Half Day £250
When I work
I am available weekdays 9-5
During the Coronavirus pandemic the Government has advised everyone to reduce all face to face contact to reduce the spread of COVID-19.
Wherever possible I will encourage clients to access therapy sessions online or over the telephone at this time. I will provide support to download any necessary IT software.
Sorry for this inconvenience and please be reassured this is to protect you and your family and me and mine during this unprecedented time.
NOTE: After attending online sessions my clients feedback is that it is very helpful and no too dissimilar to face to face counselling.