Carolyn Marsh BA (Hons), Dip Psych, UKCP
I am an integrative psychotherapist and counsellor which means that I am trained in the various models of psychotherapeutic understanding. There can be more than one approach in order to gain insight into an issue. It could involve looking back to the past to find the cause, starting in the present to explore the impact of an issue and ways to resolve it and looking towards the future with the changes in place. My focus is on the client, where they would like to begin and what issues they want to address.
I specialise in Trauma, either single incident Post Traumatic Stress Disorder(PTSD) or Complex Developmental Trauma. I am an eye movement desensitisation reprocessing(EMDR) trained therapist and an attachment focused EMDR trained therapist. EMDR involves accessing a memory in the present which holds a level of distress, a belief about myself combined with strong feelings. Stimulating the memory using bi-lateral stimulation such as eye movements can reduce a clients distress and strengthen adaptive beliefs related to the traumatic event. It can enable the brain to process a traumatic event in a natural way. EMDR is evidence based and recognised by the NHS.
I also specialise in bereavement, bereavement by suicide, anxiety, panic attacks, depression and addiction.
As a psychotherapist I offer a confidential, non-judgemental space in which to work alongside a client exploring issues in order to gain understanding and insights, better ways to cope, changes to behaviour and the discovery, acceptance and integration of disowned aspects of who we are which results in a more authentic way of being.
I have been seeing clients since 2011 in Buckinghamshire and London. My work can include visualisations and dream exploration. I can also integrate cognitive behavioural techniques into the work if necessary.
I work with individuals and offer daytime and evening appointments in Beaconsfield, Bucks and London W2. I am accredited with the United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP) and abide by the UKCP code of ethics.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Diploma in Integrative and Humanistic Counselling and Psychotherapy- Centre for Counselling and Psychotherapy Education. Validated by the University of Northampton. Four year course (2011-2014)
- Counselling Foundation Course- Bucks Adult Education National Open College Network. One year course (2010)
- EMDR Trained Therapist (2019)
- Attachment Focused EMDR Trained Therapist (2020)
- Dealing with Distress: Working with Self-Harm and Suicide workshop (2018)
- Systemic/ Family Constellation Therapy workshop (2018)
- Attachment Summit: Working with Trauma Attachment and Resilience (2018)
- Working with Dissociative Disorders in Clinical Practice workshop (2017)
- Healing Complex Trauma workshop (2017)
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy workshop (2017)
- Mindfulness and EMDR workshop (2017)
- Internal Family Systems workshop (2017)
- Working with Addiction from a Transpersonal Perspective workshop (2016)
- Riverside ECHG. Supported housing for homeless men and woman. I provided psychotherapy for clients starting in 2013 and continue with this work which now includes group supervision for staff members in three Riverside locations.
- FreshStart. Low cost counselling and psychotherapy for clients of all age groups and backgrounds in London. (2013-2016)
- Psychiatric Observational Placement at the Tindal Centre, Aylesbury Bucks. A mental health hospital for Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire mental health NHS. (2012)
- Buckinghamshire Mind. I provided befriending support for clients. (2011)
- BA (Hons) History, Leeds University. (1978)
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
UK Council for Psychotherapy
The UK Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP) is a leading professional body for the education, training and regulation of psychotherapists and psychotherapeutic counsellors. Its register is accredited by the government's Professional Standards Authority.
As part of its commitment to protect the public, it works to improve access to psychotherapy, to support and disseminate research, to improve standards and to respond effectively to complaints against its members.
UKCP standards cover the range of different psychotherapies. Registration is obtained by training or accrediting with one of its member organisations, or by holding a European Certificate in Psychotherapy. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Bereavement by Suicide
From £50.00 to £65.00
Free initial in-person, telephone or online session
Concessions offered for
It is important to find a psychotherapist you are comfortable working with. I offer a no fee thirty minute consultation in order for you to make that decision.
Monday to Thursday, daytime and evening appointments. Friday, London W2 daytime and evening appointments.
Parking is available on the driveway of my home in Beaconsfield Bucks. I am within easy walking distance from public transport.