Caroline Donaldson, MA Cantab; BA (Hons) Cantab; MBACP, Barnes SW13.
I am a fully qualified, post-graduate psychotherapeutic counsellor with six years clinical experience working with people suffering from mental distress and disorder. I am CRB checked and registered with the ICO. I have also had intensive couples training with renowned marital therapist, Andrew G Marshall. Please see my limited offer for couples below!
Are you suffering from anxiety, depression or relationship problems? Perhaps you have experienced a loss, or a change which feels traumatic? Or do you feel there's something wrong but you're not clear what it is? If so, talking to a highly-trained counsellor, someone outside your family or circle of friends might help. I offer face-to-face therapy to individuals and couples seeking help with a wide range of problems including stress, low self-esteem, communication and behaviour problems.
I am happy to talk to you initially over the telephone for 20 minutes free of charge to help us work out if I am the right counsellor for your needs. If not, I will do my best to find a suitable alternative for you.
Whatever the nature of your problem, my aim is to encourage a warm, supportive environment. Here, you would have the time to reflect on your thoughts, feelings and behaviour confidentially and safely, leading to insight, relief and the chance for you to lead a more satisfying life.
I have worked with clients on a wide range of issues including:
- Anxiety and depression
- Relationship and family problems
- Low self-esteem
- Communication problems
- Work related problems
- Bereavement and loss
- Childhood neglect and problems
- Marital problems
- Loss of purpose in life
What will happen in our first session?
If we decide to proceed following your free telephone consultation, your initial session is 50 minutes in which you describe your reasons for seeking therapy. I will ask questions about you, your background and family, work and medical history before we attend to the reasons which are bringing you to seek help. We will explore your expectations for therapy and think about your goals. It is sometimes possible to arrange longer sessions subsequently should you wish to do this. Otherwise, all our sessions will be 50 minutes long on the same day and at the same place each week.
How can I help?
- Counselling: You may be looking for the opportunity to explore your thoughts, feelings and behaviour, how you are functioning currently. In the context of health, ‘counselling’ is used to describe relatively brief treatment (typically 6 – 12 sessions). They will focus on a problematic situation or a specific symptom.
- Psychotherapy: This is usually a longer-term treatment that focuses on gaining insight into long term physical and emotional problems. The aim is to effect lasting change. Psychotherapy aims to explore the deeper unconscious processes in the personality that influence the way we relate to ourselves and others. People can choose psychotherapy to discover more about themselves, and to live their lives in a more rewarding and satisfying way.
I am a qualified psychotherapeutic counsellor in Transactional Analysis (TA), and in the final stages of qualifying as a Certified Transactional Analyst (CTA) and an MSc in TA Psychotherapy. I base my work on TA informed by current research on neuro-biology, attachment and regulation theories.
TA is a theory of personality and a method of psychotherapy for personal growth and change. One of the strengths of TA is the way in which client and therapist take equal responsibility for setting and achieving the goals of therapy together. Whilst your concerns are serious, you can also expect to find humour alongside the ‘Aha!’ moments. It is my practice to review things regularly to monitor progress and ensure you’re happy.
As I work ‘relationally’, I will think about the dynamics of our relationship. This gives us an opportunity to address your thoughts, feelings and behaviour patterns as they emerge ‘live’ in our sessions. I believe strongly that many of us are damaged in relationship and can be healed in relationship too.
I recognise the challenge of finding the 'right' therapist for you so I welcome your call, however tentative, to find out more about me and the process.
SPECIAL OFFER! I am offering a course of up to 8 sessions to a limited number of couples at only £30 per couple per session. So you can judge if the work feels right for you, and you feel no obligation to continue, I am making the first 2 sessions free. (My fees per 50 minute session for couples range from £60- £70 in Barnes to £75 in London EC1, so this is a significant saving for clients.)
With your permission, I will audio-record the work (all of which is protected for anonymity and confidentiality). Short extracts may be used for supervision and examination work for my advanced studies. The small number of senior psychotherapists privy to the recordings are bound by the ethical codes of our psychotherapeutic governing bodies (UKCP, BACP et al) and the ICO.
Please email me for details as soon as possible as this offer is time limited to finish by the 1st May 2018.
Training, qualifications & experience
I worked in the commercial sector after graduating with a liberal arts degree. After raising a family and following a post-graduate foundation year at Birkbeck College, London University, I began training and completed the four year post-graduate training as a psychotherapist at the Metanoia Institute, a highly regarded training and counselling organisation in West London. I understand and have experience of the personal and professional pressures which people face. Plus, I have undertaken different forms of psychotherapy myself which has been critical to my development as a person and a therapist. I also draw on my experience working in different clinical settings both as a counsellor and as a psychotherapeutic assessor. My training included an internship at an NHS mental health facility for patients suffering from serious personality disorders and the most severe difficulties.
- Counsellor registered with BACP.
- Diploma (with Distinction)in Psychotherapeutic Counselling in Transactional Analysis, Metanoia Institute.
- I am in the final stages of completing an MSc in Transactional Analysis Psychotherapy, Metanoia Institute, awarded by Middlesex University.
- Similarly, I am in the final stages of completing the Certificate in Transactional Analysis.
- MA Cantab 1984.
- BA (Hons) Cantab 1978.
Volunteer counselling at the Metanoia Counselling and Psychotherapy Service (MCPS), 2012 - 2013 and at Ealing Abbey Counselling Service ongoing since 2013.
Psychotherapeutic Assessor at MCPS 2015 - 2017.
Mental Health Familiarisation Placement at NHS Cassel Hospital for Personality Disorders 2016.
Couples' counselling and intensive couples training at Andrew G. Marshall Marital Therapy, London EC1, 2017 ongoing.
- BACP, (British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy).
- EATA, (European Association of Transactional Analysis).
- IARTA, (International Association of Relational Tranactional Analysis).
- Metanoia Institute.
- I adhere to the ethical principles of these bodies. In keeping with this I am regularly supervised by highly qualified supervisors in all my areas of work, and I also attend regular developmental training and CPD.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Dependent personality disorder
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Loss of purpose in life
Fees per session:
Individual sessions, daytime: £50; evening: £60 (after 6pm)
Couples' sessions, daytime: £60; evening: £70 (after 6pm)
Some availability for couples' sessions in London EC1: £75
Each session is 50 minutes' duration starting and finishing punctually. We meet at the same time and in the same place weekly. Clients pay in cash at the start of the session. My cancellation policy is 48 hours' notice.
Please see the limited offer for couples counselling above!
My private practice is on the Barnes/Putney borders on a private road with easy, free parking. There is good public transport with rail links to Barnes station 7 minutes walk away, and the 22 bus stop on Putney Common, 5 minutes walk away. We are two minutes walk from the Upper Richmond Road with its regular bus services.
* Please note that my therapy room is on the first floor with no lift, so would not be suitable for those with mobility issues.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Weekdays, Monday to Friday. Please call for current availability.
Types of client