Caroline Donaldson MSc (Psych); CTA; UKCP; MBACP, MA (Cantab); SW13.
Finding the right therapist can be confusing and daunting. It's worth the effort to speak to a few who look like they might be suitable, in the right place and at the right cost for you. Please send me your enquiry and we can arrange to talk for up to 20 minutes over the phone free of charge about the basic details. If we seem like a good match we can meet for an initial assessment session. It is vital that clients feel happy and confident that we can talk together to make the process work best.
I am a counsellor and psychotherapist with eight years clinical experience working with people suffering from mental distress and disorder. I have worked as a psychotherapeutic assessor for the Metanoia Institute, and I am CRB checked and registered with the ICO. I have also had intensive couples training, working with the highly regarded marital therapist, Andrew G Marshall.
When you're feeling overwhelmed, sad and anxious, talking to someone outside your family or circle of friends is useful, not just because of the relief it offers but also the fresh perspectives it brings. Talking therapists are trained to help you think clearly about yourself, the real nature of your needs and how to help you find your own answers.
The warm, supportive relationship I aim to build with individuals and couples is a vital element offering time and focus as we reflect on thoughts and feelings in confidence and safety. Then you can think more clearly about how and when these thoughts and feelings combine to affect your behaviour negatively leading to insight, relief and the chance for you to lead a more satisfying life.
I work with clients on a wide range of issues including:
- Anxiety and depression
- Relationship and family problems
- Low self-esteem
- Communication problems
- Work related problems
- Bereavement and loss
- Childhood neglect and problems
- Marital problems
- Loss of purpose in life
What will happen in our first session?
We will explore your expectations for therapy and think about your goals. It is sometimes possible to arrange longer sessions subsequently should you wish to do this. Otherwise, all our sessions will be 50 minutes long on the same day and at the same place each week.
How can I help?
- Counselling: You may be looking for the opportunity to explore your thoughts, feelings and behaviour, how you are functioning currently. In the context of health, ‘counselling’ is used to describe relatively brief treatment (typically 6 – 12 sessions). They will focus on a problematic situation or a specific symptom.
- Psychotherapy: This is usually a longer-term treatment that focuses on gaining insight into long term physical and emotional problems. The aim is to effect lasting change. Psychotherapy aims to explore the deeper unconscious processes in the personality that influence the way we relate to ourselves and others. People can choose psychotherapy to discover more about themselves, and to live their lives in a more rewarding and satisfying way.
I am a psychotherapist and counsellor in Transactional Analysis (TA), qualified as a Certified Transactional Analyst (CTA) with an MSc in TA Psychotherapy. I base my work on Relational TA, informed by humanistic bio-psycho-social approaches.
TA is a theory of personality and a method of psychotherapy for personal growth and change. One of the strengths of TA is the way in which client and therapist take equal responsibility for setting and achieving the goals of therapy together. Whilst your concerns are serious, you can also expect to find humour alongside the ‘Aha!’ moments. It is my practice to review things regularly to monitor progress; invite you to give me feedback on our work and this process in itself is one of the most valuable aspects of therapy.
As I work ‘relationally’, I will think about the dynamics of our relationship. This gives us an opportunity to address your thoughts, feelings and behaviour patterns as they emerge ‘live’ in our sessions. It is not just a cliche that many of us are damaged in relationship and can be healed in relationship too.
I recognise the challenge of finding the 'right' therapist for you so I welcome your call, however tentative, to find out more about me and the process.
Training, qualifications & experience
Originally, I worked in the commercial sector after graduating with a liberal arts degree. After raising a family and following a post-graduate foundation year at Birkbeck College, London University, I began training and completed the four year training as a psychotherapist at the Metanoia Institute, a highly regarded training and counselling organisation in West London. I understand and have experience of the personal and professional pressures which people face. Plus, I have undertaken different forms of psychotherapy myself which has been critical to my development as a person and a therapist. I also draw on my experience working in different clinical settings both as a counsellor, psychotherapist and as a psychotherapeutic assessor. My training included an internship at an NHS mental health facility for patients suffering from serious personality disorders and the most severe difficulties.
- MSc in Psychotherapy (with distinction)
- Diploma in Relational Transactional Analysis Psychotherapy
- Diploma in Psychotherapeutic Counselling (with Distinction)
- I am a Certified Transactional Analyst, commissioned by the European Association of Transactional Analysis.
- MA Cantab 1984.
- BA (Hons) Cantab 1978.
- Metanoia Counselling and Psychotherapy Service (MCPS), 2012 - 2013
- Ealing Abbey Counselling Service 2013 to December 2018
- Psychotherapeutic Assessor at MCPS 2015 - 2017.
Mental Health Familiarisation Placement at NHS Cassel Hospital for Personality Disorders Summer 2016.
Couples' counselling at Andrew G. Marshall Marital Therapy, London EC1, 2017 - 2018.
- BACP, (British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy).
- EATA, (European Association of Transactional Analysis).
- IARTA, (International Association of Relational Tranactional Analysis).
- Metanoia Institute.
- I adhere to the ethical principles of these bodies. In keeping with this I am regularly supervised by highly qualified supervisors in all my areas of work, and I also attend regular developmental training and CPD.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Career counselling
- Dependent personality disorder
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Schizoid personality disorder
- Separation and divorce
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Loss of purpose in life
Photos & videos
Fees per session:
Individual sessions, daytime: £50; evening: £60 (after 6pm)
Couples' sessions, daytime: £60; evening: £70 (after 6pm)
Couples' sessions in London EC1: £75 (Currently unavailable)
Each session is 50 minutes' duration starting and finishing punctually. We meet at the same time and in the same place weekly. Clients pay in cash at the start of the session. My cancellation policy is 48 hours' notice.
My private practice is on the Barnes/Putney borders on a private road with easy, free parking. There is good public transport with rail links to Barnes station 7 minutes walk away, and the 22 bus stop on Putney Common, 5 minutes walk away. We are two minutes walk from the Upper Richmond Road with its regular bus services.
* Please note that my therapy room is on the first floor with no lift, so would not be suitable for those with mobility issues.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Due to the need to climb stairs, my practice would not suit clients with mobility problems.
Weekdays, Monday to Thursday. My availability currently is only on Monday 5- 50pm and Tuesday at 4.30pm.
Types of client