I am an experienced and fully qualified integrative counsellor who works with all ages but specialises in working with children and young people and their parents/carers. Many young people today experience overwhelming and confusing feelings that leave them feeling vulnerable and unable to cope with life. I offer support in the form of both long-term and short-term more solution based therapy from the Silver Street Clinic in Maldon and also in Chelmsford Essex.
How I work
My approach is person/child centred which means that through the use of the play and creative materials I provide, children and adolescents may find a way to access, express and work through their feelings however deeply buried they may be. A child centred session is led by the child or young adult, flowing at their pace and tailored to their individual needs and ability. My therapeutic model is based around the use of play and the creative arts. A person-centred approach that incorporates CBT therapeutic techniques alongside mindfulness, psychodynamic thinking and psycho education.
What can I help with?
Children and young people today have a lot of challenges and issues to contend with as they journey towards self discovery, independence and adulthood. Some children/adolescents feel like square pegs trying to fit into round holes and navigating the school system can feel impossibly difficult.
They may experience family issues, divorce, parental separation, trauma, abuse, bereavement/loss, school issues, school refusal, bullying friendship problems, parental illness, gender curiosity, transitions, exam stress, drink/drug abuse, sex issues, loneliness.
Their frustration may be communicated through expressions of sadness, anger, depression, anxiety, panic, low self-esteem and confidence, self hatred, lack of resilience and assertiveness, attachment difficulties, self-harm, disordered eating, phobias, behaviour problems, addiction, OCD, suicidal thoughts...... and much more.
I am specifically trained to work with children and young adults with all of these issues and more, including looked after children and children and families/siblings of children with ASD.
I offer a warm, safe, calm, comfortable, confidential and non-judgemental space to talk, play and create, whatever each child or young adult feels comfortable doing and expressing.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Post Graduate Certificate in Adult Counselling
- Post Graduate Diploma in Child and Adolescent integrative Counselling
- Certificate in Parent and Child Therapy
- HNC Childhood Studies
- Providing therapy sessions to primary and secondary aged children in schools and privately
- One-on-one and group work
- Short and long term counselling
- Working with parents and their children to improve relational connection through a range of presenting issues.
My work in secondary schools has been particularly focused around issues arising from alcohol abuse and addictions in families.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Attachment disorder in children
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Behaviour problems
- Binge-eating disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Childhood bereavement
- Childhood bullying
- Children’s learning difficulties
- Dependent personality disorder
- Depression and anxiety in children
- Domestic violence
- Drug addiction
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Health anxiety
- Hearing voices
- Internet addiction
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic attacks
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Separation and divorce
- Separation anxiety
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Tourette's syndrome
- Work-related stress
- Young carers
- Behavioural therapy
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Cognitive therapy
- Dialectical Behavioural Therapy (DBT)
My fees are £50 per 50 minute session. The initial parental assessment session is charged at the same rate, as are the six weekly parental review meetings that continue for the duration of the work.
Concessions are available upon discussion.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Types of client