Cara Thompson - MBACP (Charis Counselling)
07756 905 451
If you are reading this, you (or your child) are most likely facing difficult life situations, feeling in pain or are distressed. Or maybe there are issues and areas in your life that you wish to change and develop. Seeking counselling takes courage, but it can be one of the greatest gifts you can give yourself and can make a positive, lasting difference to your life.
As a qualified person-centred counsellor and registered member of the BACP (British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy), I can offer you a warm, relaxed, confidential space where we can feel safe to explore whatever thoughts and feelings you choose to, all at your own pace and without fear of judgement.
I work in a person-centred way because I believe it to be the most human and holistic counselling approach. We all experience things differently and have our very own unique personal history. That's why I work empathically, putting myself in your shoes to understand and feel from your perspective. This allows us to explore together, so you can gain further insight into your situation, choices and sense of self and can find the way forward that is best for you.
I have experience of working with adults and teenagers (in relation to a wide range of issues) and am passionate about what I do. Given the right therapeutic conditions, I have seen people survive and overcome their personal difficulties, begin to cultivate a strong, resilient sense of self and improve their well-being. It is an absolute privilege to be part of that journey.
I have flexible appointment times which include early evening and weekend appointments to suit individual needs. My private, ground floor counselling room is situated in a tranquil location within the village of Wollaston and there is ample free parking available outside. It is not far from the A14 and A45, offering easy access from Wellingborough, Rushden, Kettering, Northampton and surrounding areas.
Training, qualifications & experience
Qualifications relevant to Counselling:
- CPCAB (Counselling & Psychotherapy Central Awarding Body) Level 2 Award in Introduction to Counselling Skills
- CACHE Level 2 Certificate in Awareness of Mental Health Problems
- CPCAB Level 2 Certificate in Counselling Skills
- CPCAB Level 3 Certificate in Counselling Studies
- CPCAB Level 4 Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling
- BACP (British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy) Certificate of Proficiency
Continuing Professional Development (CPD) areas:
- Protective Behaviours
- Sexual Abuse and Trauma
- Children and Young People
- Suicide ASIST training
- Terminal Illness and Bereavement
- Narcissistic and Borderline Presentations
- MindEd training on a range of issues
- Counsellor in agency settings (Northamptonshire and Leicestershire).
- School Counsellor (working with clients aged between 11-18yrs).
- I have worked in educational settings (mainstream and special needs) for over 20 years in various teaching,pastoral and mental health intervention roles. I have also worked as a counselling lecturer (teaching counselling skills) at a local college in Northamptonshire.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Attachment disorder in children
- Behaviour problems
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Childhood bereavement
- Childhood bullying
- Children’s learning difficulties
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Depression and anxiety in children
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
Photos & videos
- £40 per session
- Concessions available
Research suggests that the therapeutic relationship is key to successful therapy. Feeling that you can trust and share your inner-most thoughts and feelings with your counsellor is extremely important, so to help you decide whether you would like to work with me (and if my approach it right for you), I offer a free initial session with no obligation to start ongoing counselling.
Please feel free to contact me by mobile or email if you have any queries or concerns. I will do my best to get back to you as soon as possible.
I am a Registered Member of the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) and work in accordance with their 'Ethical Framework for the Counselling Professions'. This is a document (which can be found on their website:www.bacp.co.uk) that provides a secure base for our work together.
I have been checked by the Disclosure and Barring Service and hold an enhanced DBS certificate to work with children and vulnerable adults. I am also covered by full professional indemnity insurance.
In line with General Data Regulation (GDPR), any personal details and/or information that you send via this website, will only be used in order for me to contact you.Your personal details and/or information will not be retained for any other purpose, nor will they be shared with any other individual or organisation.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Types of client