Dr Canan Koc
Counselling Psychologist (MBPsS) & CBT therapist (BABCP)
Every professional displayed on Counselling Directory has been independently
verified by our team to ensure they have suitable credentials to practise.
Every professional displayed on Counselling Directory has been independently verified by our team to ensure they have suitable credentials to practise.
When upset we seek interpersonal relationship; someone to talk to. We have lost our internal calibration and we need the help of someone to mirror our emotions so we can make sense of and reorganise our internal world.
As a Counselling Psychologists I am a chartered member of the British Psychological Society (BPS), and registered with the Health Care Professional Council (HCPC). I also hold accreditation in CBT, recognised by the British Association of Behavioural & Cognitive Psychotherapists (BABCP).
I have experience of working with complex mood and anxiety disorders, mental health difficulties due to experiences of trauma, personality disorders and eating disorders.
My approach to therapy is governed by my clients needs so I draw on several therapeutic approach in my practice:
~ Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT)
~ Compassion Focused Therapy (CFT)
~ Cognitive Analytic Therapy (CAT)
~ Person Centred Psychotherapy
~ Systemic Therapy
Training, qualifications & experience
- DPsych Professional Doctorate in Counselling Psychology - City University
- Post-Graduate Diploma in Cognitive Behaviour Therapy - Royal Holloway university
- Post Graduate certificate in Primary care mental health - London South Bank University
- BSc Psychology - University of Westminster
- I have experience in treating Depression and complex mood and personality disorders in the NHS and in private practice.
- I have experience of working with post-traumatic stress disorder and difficulties arising from developmental traumas and childhood abuse.
- I have experience of working with OCD in adults and in children.
- I have experience in treating phobias, social anxiety and panic attacks
- 6 + years experience in working in Eating Disorders services in the NHS - working with young people and adults.
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
British Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies (BABCP)
The BABCP is the lead organisation for Cognitive Behavioural Therapy in the UK.
Membership is open to anyone with an interest in the practice, theory or development of CBT. BABCP also provides accreditation for CBT therapists.
BABCP accredited members adhere to the Standards of Conduct, Performance and Ethics in the Practice of Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies, and are willing to be scrutinised in this adherence as required.
Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC)
The HCPC are an independent, UK-wide health regulator. They set standards of professional training, performance and conduct for 16 professions.
They keep a register of health professionals who meet their standards, and they take action if registered health professionals fall below those standards. They were created by a piece of legislation called the Health Professions Order 2001.
Registration means that a health professional meets national standards for their professional training, performance and conduct.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
I am able to offer therapy in Turkish
Please contact me for information regarding fees and availability.
When I work