Brian O'Gorman, Chartered Counselling Psychologist and Accredited CBT Therapist
33 Iffley Road
01865 203738 / 07941 523157
I am a Chartered Counselling Psychologist and Registered Psychotherapist with over 25 years experience of working in the helping professions and over 12 years experience of working as psychological therapist in a variety of settings (NHS, Private Practice, Education and Workplace/EAP). My aim is to provide a warm, friendly, caring, thoughtful and helpful therapy experience for my clients. I make use of my wide range of training and experience to adapt the approach that I use to the particular difficulties you have and the way that you would like me to work with you. I provide short and longer term therapy for individuals and couples.
Approaching a therapist for help can feel daunting. If you would like to know more about my practice I would encourage you to contact me so I can discuss your situation with you and help you to decide if the therapy I have to offer would help. I am happy to speak to you on the phone or answer any questions you might have by e-mail if you prefer.
Training, qualifications & experience
I am a chartered Counselling Psychologist with the British Psychological Society (BPS) membership no: 237989) and fully accredited as a Cognitive Behavioural Psychotherapist with the British Association of Behavioural & Cognitive Psychotherapy (BABCP) (membership no: 90437). I am also a Registered Applied Psychology Practice Supervisor and Associate Fellow of the British Psychological Society.
Main Clinical Training
- Qualification in Counselling Psychology (British Psychological Society)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Psychotherapy and Counselling (City University/Regents College)
- Advanced Diploma in Existential Psychotherapy (Regents College/Society for Existential Analysis)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Evidenced Based Practice (University of Reading, BABCP accredited Cognitive Behavioural Therapy course)
- Postgraduate Practitioner Diploma in Cognitive Analytic Therapy (CAT) (Warneford Hospital/University of Sheffield/Association of Cognitive Analytic Therapy)
- Certificate in Family Mediation (Association of Family Mediation)
- Certificate in Counselling Theory and Skills (CSCT)
- Certificate in End of Life Care
- Supervision training with University of Reading, British Psychological Society and Oxford Health NHS Trust
Other Clinical Training
I have attended courses in Supervision, Mindfulness, Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT), Brief Solution Focused Therapy, EMDR, Short term Psychodynamic Therapy and Interpersonal Therapy as well as many continuing professional training courses in my accredited trainings.
- BSc (Hons) in Psychology (First Class) Open University
- MSc in Psychology (Open University)
- MSc in Social Research Methods (Open University)
- MSc in Applied Social Studies/Diploma in Social Work (Oxford University)
- MA in Philosophy (University College, London)
- BA (Joint Honours) in Philosophy & Theology (Kings College, London)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Law (Conversion Course) & Postgraduate Diploma in Legal Practice (University of Westminster)
- Postgraduate Certificate in End-of-Life Care (Open University)
Other Professional Qualifications
- Practitioner Psychologist (Health and Care Professions Council - PYL 31999)
- Solicitor of the Supreme Court (now non-practicing)
- Social Worker (now non-practicing)
I have over 25 years of experience of working in helping professions. I have worked as a social worker working in residential and community settings, a lawyer in a high street practice and a senior manager in a company that provided counselling and trauma responses to employees in the workplace (an Employee Assistance Programme). In the last 13 years I have been working as a Counsellor, Psychotherapist and CBT Therapist I have worked in the voluntary, higher education, corporate and NHS sectors. I have 10 years experience of working as a CBT Therapist providing individual and group based therapy for people suffering from anxiety and depression.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Carer support
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Physical abuse
Other areas of counselling I deal with
- Acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT)
- Behavioural therapy
- Cognitive analytic therapy (CAT)
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Cognitive therapy
- Compassion-Focused Therapy
- Couples counselling
- Existential therapy
- Humanistic therapies
Photos & videos
My fees for individual therapy and supervision are £70 per session.
I can offer some concessions for both therapy and supervision work for people on low incomes or students on counselling/therapy courses on request.
I work about 1 mile from the centre of Oxford. Parking is available and I am close to a main bus route.
I have 20 years experience as a trainer and lecturer for university and corporate training. More recently I have been providing counselling training for 10 years and I currently work as a Clinical Supervisor for the Charlie Waller Institute at Reading University for postgraduate courses in CBT. I also teach on degree programmes in counselling and psychology for the Open University.
I am also registered as a Psychotherapist with AXA PPP Healthcare
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Evenings and during the day in the week.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training
I have been providing clinical supervision for over five years in a variety of settings (NHS, Private and University).View supervision profile