Big Brown Horse
We are a therapy service with a difference..
Trained to PhD level in Clinical Psychology and integrating a range of Equine Assisted Psychotherapy approaches means we are in the unique position to offer the best of both worlds.....
Evidence based psychological therapy....enhanced by a horse!
Equine therapy and learning is used extensively worldwide, but is relatively new to the UK. Interacting with horses captivates and holds attention. This allows faster therapeutic progress.
What we provide…
- Equine Enhanced Therapy and development services
- Traditional office based counselling and psychotherapy
- A corporate leadership and staff development service to businesses and organisations
We are different from other equine therapy providers. Here are the reasons why….
- We are an HCPC registered, Chartered Clinical Psychology and Counseling Service
- We integrate a range of evidence based therapies creating a service that is uniquely tailored to each client
- Horses can make therapy less threatening and more effective than talking based therapy alone
- We provide assessment prior to any therapy to allow us to decide which approach is most appropriate
- We can provide our range of services at various locations throughout Scotland
Why these unique features are important….
- You are reassured that we provide professionally regulated interventions
- Our therapy approaches have a scientific evidence base
- Clients can mix office based and Equine Enhanced sessions according to clinical need
- Clients learn faster by doing as well as talking
- Our service is more accessible as we can travel to you
We do NOT offer…
- Spiritual healing or any non scientifically evidenced based therapy approaches
- Horse riding
- Horse whispering or any psychic activities
- A single therapy model or approach focusing exclusively on horses
Please see our website for more information
Training, qualifications & experience
- Dr Marie Holmes is a Chartered Consultant Clinical Psychologist, registered with the HCPC.
- Hannah Turrell is an Equine Assisted Psychotherapist and Researcher.
- Both bring extensive lifelong equestrian experience to Big Brown Horse.
- They are fully professionally insured to integrate horses into a psychotherapy intervention.
All therapy work will be carried out with Hannah and Marie
Member organisations *
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
Health and Care Professions Council
The HCPC are an independent, UK-wide health regulator. They set standards of professional training, performance and conduct for 16 professions.
They keep a register of health professionals who meet their standards, and they take action if registered health professionals fall below those standards. They were created by a piece of legislation called the Health Professions Order 2001.
Registration means that a health professional meets national standards for their professional training, performance and conduct.
Areas of counselling we deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Dialectical Behaviour Therapy
Office based and Equine Enhanced sessions available....
Prices from £50 - £120 per hour
Please enquire for further details
We have a range of therapy offices and equestrian venues in Ayrshire, Glasgow and Stirling.
Please contact us if you are out with these areas as we are able to travel to various locations in Scotland.