Bernice Sumray MBACP (Accred) - Online Counselling Available
* During these unprecedented and uncertain times, I will be offering counselling via a video meeting platform called Zoom or by FaceTime if preferred as well as by telephone if you do not comfortable with face to face work *
I am a Person-Centred Counsellor who works with young people, adults, couples and families. I am an accredited member of the BACP.
- Have you recently experienced something that has made you feel anxious, sad, angry or confused or have you been battling thoughts and feelings from your past for a long time and now feel ready to talk about it?
- Are you going through a difficult patch in your relationship or recently separated or divorced and would like some help to talk through those difficult emotions ?
- Do you feel you need help within your family, whether that be with a child(ren), parent, sibling etc, and feel coming to therapy will help resolve your issues?
If so, I will welcome you with warmth, care and compassion and listen to you with empathy, acceptance and without any judgement.
What to expect.
- We will sit down together for one hour and talk about what has brought you to counselling at this point.
- I will guide you at the beginning of each session in deciding what you want to discuss and ensure that each session flows at a pace that suits you.
- I work on either a short or long term basis; short term work normally consists of six to twelve sessions. Long term work can last for as long as you would like.
- I offer a free 15 minute, phone consultation and if you feel we will work well together, We can arrange a day and time that suits you.
- Please be assured that I will help you to feel as comfortable as possible so that you will be able to raise any problems or unwanted feelings you wish to work through.
Taking the first step may feel daunting but the process can be life changing and life enhancing.
- As a therapist, I will work with you collaboratively, listening carefully to you so we can find a way of unpicking and changing patterns of behaviour that you feel have kept you stuck.
- The changes I see in the clients I have/ or are working with has shown that their self esteem has improved and that they have hope and a sense of purpose for the future. Most importantly, they have a sense of self worth and start to listen to their needs.
Please click on the link to my website to find out more about me and the service I provide, thank you.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Introduction to Counselling
- Certificate in Counselling
- Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling
- Advanced Post Diploma Certificate in Person-Centred Couples therapy.
- BACP Accreditation
- Training with addiction, domestic violence, bereavement and safeguarding plus a variety of workshops.
- I have an enhanced DBS certificate
I trained initially at the Redbridge Institute of Further Education and went on to the City Lit in Covent Garden to complete the Certificate in Counselling Skills and the Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling.
I hold an Advanced Post Diploma Certificate in Person-Centred couples therapy which I gained from the Counselling Works In Milton Keynes.
Through the years, I have worked with people from ten years and upwards.
I have worked in a service with people who were alcohol dependent and a charity where I saw female survivors of domestic abuse.
My work has also taken me into primary and secondary schools and I worked for a few years with a bereavement charity. Alongside my private practice, I work for a charity which offers counselling to adults from eighteen years old; low cost therapy is available if they are unable to pay the full rate.
I attend workshops to enhance my practice; these have included, anxiety and panic attacks, learning about psychopaths and narcissistic personalities, drug and alcohol misuse.
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
This list above is a guide to show you areas I have worked with.
Please contact me if you would like to discuss a matter before committing to an initial appointment.
Face to Face Sessions:
My charges for individual therapy is £50 per session.
Couples and family therapy is £60 per session.
Each session lasts for one hour.
Individual therapy is £45 per session.
Couples and family therapy is £55 per session.
Each session lasts for one hour.
Half hour sessions are £25 (plus an extra £5 for couples and families)
I am able to provide a few, lower priced places; this will be dependent on individual circumstances.
I have a 24 hour cancellation policy.
* Update: As we are in a state of uncertainty due to the Coronavirus, I am aware that anxieties will be heightened. Therefore, I would like to offer two people, six free, sessions to anyone working for the NHS or a key worker. Due to the crisis, these sessions will have to be conducted over the phone or using Zoom or Facetime*
Concessions offered for
Most common questions that I have been asked:
- " What do you specialise in?"
Bereavement, Abuse, Anxiety and Depression, Couples/Family/Relationship work; general wellbeing.
We are all different and unique and so are our problems, but common themes brought to sessions are anxiety, low self-esteem and feelings of not being heard.
- " Do I need counselling?"
I would say that anyone is suitable to have counselling if they feel they need to talk to someone other than their friends or family. I am trained to listen carefully and will support and counsel you without judging you or your circumstances.
- " What will I find to talk about?"
Anything and everything! An hour may feel daunting at first but my experience shows that the time flies and you may find you want to go on. You may come with one issue in mind but find other aspects arise as you explore and make sense of your thoughts and feelings.