**All therapy is offered via Zoom video call/online**
Welcome! I’m Ben, an experienced and professional Cognitive Behavioural Psychotherapist & Counsellor, registered and accredited by the British Association of Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies (BABCP).
Life can often leave us feeling overwhelmed, exhausted and lost. Equally, persistent difficult thoughts and feelings can often get in the way of us moving towards doing what matters most to us in our lives.
Therapy can help. It provides a safe and supportive environment that cultivates personal growth, wellbeing and development. Therapy is an investment; an investment into yourself.
Therapy is a unique experience for every one of us. For some people its an opportunity to talk through things in a safe environment, process emotions and feel listened to and understood. For others it is about being able to do things that they couldn’t previously do because of the difficult thoughts and feelings they were having. Previous clients who have shared their feedback on therapy have said that therapy:
“helped me get my life back”
“it was really invaluable & helped me through a difficult time to come out stronger, with more self belief and compassion for myself”
“I have gone from a place of […] really not being happy in my own head to a place of acceptance, understanding & liking & being at peace with myself”
“your approach enabled me to be open about my difficulties without fear of judgement”
“taught me skills which I will use for the rest of my life”
“enabled me to see and understand my past as never before”
“I now have the confidence to do many things that were once impossible”
“I feel better for getting all the worries off my chest and having someone to talk to about them”
“I feel I can go on & live the life I have always wanted to live”
Emotional difficulties and fluctuating mental health can affect us all. Over the last 10+ years I have worked with adults from many different backgrounds. Together, each client and I have used and integrated Cognitive Behavioural Therapies (CBT), Acceptance & Commitment Therapy (ACT) and Humanistic, Person Centred Counselling skills to help them understand their difficulties and take action, moving them towards a better quality of life.
I support people experiencing the following common difficulties:
- Persistent depressed/low mood, a lack of motivation and interest in activities previously enjoyed. Low energy, sleep difficulties and negative thoughts and beliefs about self and the future
- Persistent worry; when we finds our selves worrying about anything and everything
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD). OCD can take many forms but the most common examples include; problems with intrusive thoughts and images, checking, contamination, mental contamination, cleaning, repetition, order/symmetry and intrusive doubt
- Negative body image
- Low Self Esteem
- Anxiety in social situations
- Panic attacks; where physical sensations are experienced that feel so intense we believe something terrible is going to happen to us
- Post traumatic stress; where we can find ourselves experiencing nightmares, intrusive memories and flashbacks of a traumatic event. This can all leave us feeling a strong sense of threat long after the traumatic event.
- When a string of life events have resulted in a loss of life direction or loss of connection from our life goals and our values
- Where we recognise that thoughts and emotions are getting in the way of us being able to do something that we know would improve our quality of life or move us closer to our life goals.
Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions and/or would like to arrange a brief, informal discussion about the service I provide.
Training, qualifications & experience
- BABCP registered and accredited professional
- PGDip in Cognitive Behaviour Therapies
- PGCert in Primary Mental Health Care
- BSc (Hons) in Psychology
- Regular engagement in continuing professional development (CPD) Enhanced DBS clearance and professional indemnity insurance
10 years clinical experience working with clients both individually and in groups; predominantly through a variety of settings in the National Health Service and emerging private practice. Experience as a clinical supervisor. Experience developing psychological therapy groups and psycho-educational courses. Experience in clinical research.
Publications & Research
Masterson, C., Ekers, D., Gilbody, S., Richards, D., Toner-Clewes, B., & D. McMillan. 2014. Sudden gains in behavioural activation for depression. Behaviour Research and Therapy 60: 34-38.
British Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies
The BABCP is the lead organisation for Cognitive Behavioural Therapy in the UK.
Membership is open to anyone with an interest in the practice, theory or development of CBT. BABCP also provides accreditation for CBT therapists.
BABCP accredited members adhere to the Standards of Conduct, Performance and Ethics in the Practice of Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies, and are willing to be scrutinised in this adherence as required.
Areas of counselling I deal with
The fee for a 50 minute online therapy session is £60 - payable by bank transfer on the day of each appointment.
The fee for a 50 minute face to face therapy session is £60 - payable by cash or bank transfer on the day of each appointment.
For further details of my registered and accredited status, please see the BABCP website.