Barbro Magnusson MBACP (Accred) individual and couples counsellor
Are you ready for a confident, richer and more fulfilling life?
With 20 years experience of working successfully with individuals and couples, I offer a safe, confidential environment where you can explore the origin of your difficulties so that insight, growth and healing can take place.
How I work
Engaging and caring
I am warm and gentle but I won’t just sit and listen to you I will actively engage in the relationship between us and provide feedback. During our initial sessions we will explore what’s not working in your life and what you most long for. While working together we may touch into places of sadness, anxiety or stress at times but we may also find ourselves laughing - humour can be an important part of the healing process. As one of my clients recently said “I never expected the experience to be so positive or to feel so happy.”
Resources and insight
I will help you to discover tools and resources deep within that may have been forgotten or lost along the way. I will also help you to create new internal resources to enrich your life. Throughout our work together, I will be accepting and open. I will always seek to understand – and help you to understand – what is really going on for you, enriching your insight into your own inner world and your outer life.
Healing inner and outer relationships
If it’s appropriate for you, we may work with your ‘inner parent’ and ‘inner child’, helping you to connect with him or her in a way that will release you from old patterns, false beliefs and fears and get you in touch with your sense of joy, playfulness and deep confidence.
Finding deeper love
For couples my focus is always to support and encourage a positive outcome for both people and to find a deeper love and understanding for yourself and others.
For healing and growth
I have supported people to feel more positive and empowered in many aspects of life. This has often included helping them to shift negative and self-limiting beliefs about themselves and their situations as part of the process of healing and growth and in some cases, they have come to know joy for the first time. Clients have also said I have helped them to discover new ways of thinking and being which have opened up radical life opportunities. They have discovered new vocations and careers; moved to a new town or country; become free of bulimia or self-harm or found the artist that was dormant within them.
My work with individuals, as well as couples, almost always touches on relationships. For people who have wanted to work on this area of their lives I have helped many to create and sustain healthy new relationships, release unhealthy old ones and to restore the love and connection in stale partnerships. As one client said, “My marriage is now stronger than it has been for many years and I have once again fallen in love with my wife”
What’s the next step?
Make an appointment so that you can find out if I’m the right person to help you successfully create the changes you want to achieve. Contact me on 0117 299 3223 or 07988 516845 (Stroud and Bristol) or you can make an appointment directly with The Wellbeing Centre, Coexist, Hamilton House by calling Reception on: 0117 9249599 between 9 a.m. – 9 p.m.
In the words of my clients…
I can't thank Barbro enough. In such a short space of time she had a massive influence on my life, how I saw things, how I saw myself and how others perceived me. A life changing experience. Tom, Bristol (2014)
“Barbro helped me work through terrible pain I was feeling as a result of childhood trauma and neglect. Her style is remarkable; she was completely in tune with me. I emerged feeling a sense of peace, freedom and hope for the future. Work with her if you are looking for a counsellor who is truly from the heart and eminently professional.” Michelle F, Communications Consultant (2013)
I met with Barbro because I realised my marriage was virtually non-existent. She helped me regain my confidence and self-esteem, which in turn provided me with a strong sense of purpose and a determination not to let my relationship of more than 35 years fail. My marriage is now stronger than it has been for many years and I have once again fallen in love with my wife. Without Barbro’s heart felt approach, professionalism and insight this would not have happened. Peter S, Bristol. (2013)
This is why therapy rocks …….. with Barbro!
Because its not always enough to talk things through with friends or family members
Because its helpful to have an impartial witness to your discoveries.
Because our heads & hearts are jigsaw puzzles & sometimes you need help putting them back together.
Because the past is the sad me grew up in, & its right now that matters!
Because healing our hurts means we don’t pass it on.
Because healing our hurts also makes room for new possibilities & a new life.
Because saying it out load, no matter how silly it seems, is better than pushing it back down.
Because its changed my life – I now have a new life & I’m excited about the future. Thank you,
Training, qualifications & experience
- MBACP (Accred)
- UKRCP Registered
- BCPC Approved
- Certificate Person Centred Counselling
- Diploma Person Centred Counselling
- Certificate Couples Training (PAIRS programme
- Certificate in Sexual Assault, Domestic Violence, Adoption, Family Preservation, Child Abuse Intervention, Prevention & Treatment
- Parenting and Leadershirp Training
- Bereavement and Facilitation Training
- Family Constellation Professional Training
- Certificate in Relational Couples Therapy
- Diploma in Relational Couples Therapy
- I have worked for 20 years as a counsellor in private practice: in Bristol, Stroud and previously London.
- I am an accredited member of BACP, (British Association for Counsellors and Psychotherapists) and adhere to its code of practice and ethics. I have full professional indemnity insurance. I am a member of CCYP, Counselling Children and Young People.
- I grew up in Sweden. In my early career I trained as a business economist and have worked in a number of corporate organisations in Sweden and the UK.
- As well as my private practice, I have also been a telephone counsellor, case manager and critical incident coordinator for Employment Assistance Programmes. I set up and ran the Swedish branch of an Employee Assistance Programme which offered a 24 hour help-line service.
- I am experienced as a rape crisis advocate for children and adults in the USA, while in the UK, in my private practice, I continue to work with adults who have experienced the trauma of childhood sexual abuse or neglect.
- I have worked for an international school as a special needs teacher and ran Second Step (an anger management, conflict resolution and empathy skills programme for 13 year olds).
- Although the focus of my counselling and psychotherapy practice has been on working with adults and couples, I draw on my experience of working with children to support inner child work with adults. I have worked on a voluntary basis as a student and staff counsellor and mentoring 12 year old children.
- I am committed to my ongoing personal and professional development and my particular field of interest is the relationship with self and with others.
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Sessions (50 minutes) £50
Initial session (1 hour) £50
Sessions (1 hour) £75 - £65
Stroud only: Twelve Week Intensive Inner Child Healing: £100 per session. (This programme is only suitable for people who have already done extensive internal work.)
I work in Bristol and Stroud, Gloucestershire.
I work with people in 6-week blocks and on an on-going, long-term basis, depending on the needs of the individual or couple. Skype sessions are available upon request and charged at the same rate.