• Home
  • >Barbara Riddell

About me

If you feel your childhood wasn't as happy as other people's, if you've experienced childhood abuse (sexual, emotional, physical) then this can have a profound effect on you as an adult and leave you traumatised.  But, you may think, was it 'that bad'?  If you're not living life to the fullest, then yes, maybe it was 'that bad'.  

The word 'trauma' describes something so overwhelming, frightening, life threatening even, that it affects your everyday functioning.  You could also experience flashbacks to the event/events, insomnia, terrifying feelings, etc.  

I work with adults who are finding their past is affecting their present.  So what does this look like?  Anxiety, depression, drinking too much, taking drugs, problems with relationships and work,  thinking that what happened to you wasn't "that bad", feeling alone, frightened, unable to make decisions - these are just a few examples.  Research shows that children exposed to traumatic events have a heightened response to stress.  

How can counselling help you?  Counselling offers you a place to explore and manage your experiences and emotions.  You can't change what happened to you - but you can learn to deal with it so that you are in control of your life now.  Nor is it about 'blame'; caregivers may have had their own issues too.  

I believe that those who experienced trauma in childhood are 'survivors' and counselling can empower you to move beyond your past.  

I work online and charge £55 per session.

What happens in counselling? Counselling can help explain why we think and behave in the ways we do – often repeating patterns that don’t help us. A counsellor does not give advice, instead, they help you to untangle your problems so that you can live a happier life.

About me: I am an experienced counsellor and a Registered Member of the BACP (British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy).  I trained as an integrative counsellor, which means I can draw on different counselling models to help people.

Training, qualifications & experience

Training & qualifications

  • Level 5 Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling
  • Level 3 Certificate in Counselling Skills
  • NVQ Level 3 in Health & Social Care (specialising in Substance Misuse)
  • Level 2 Certificate in Counselling Skills
  • Master's Degree in Cultural Studies
  • First Class BA (Hons) Degree in Contemporary Cultural Studies
  • Registered member of the BACP (British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy). Find out more here: https://www.bacp.co.uk/


  • Addictions - alcohol, drugs, online gambling
  • Young people struggling with anxiety and low self-esteem
  • Knowledge & understanding of Twelve Step Fellowships
  • People questioning their sexuality, wondering if they are LGBT
  • Supporting people with severe & enduring mental health issues - eg bipolar disorder, borderline personality disorder.

Member organisations


British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy

BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.

Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.

All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.

Accredited register membership

British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy

Accredited Register Scheme

The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).

This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.

Other areas of counselling I deal with

  • Addiction to alcohol/drugs/online gambling
  • Anger management for men

Therapies offered

  • Integrative

Photos & videos


£55.00 per session
Free initial telephone session

Concessions offered for

  • Low income
  • OAPs
  • Trainee counsellors
  • Unemployed

EAP/Health Insurance Providers

  • Vitality

Additional information

I charge £55.00 per session, concessions are £40.00.  If that is still too much, contact me and let's see what I can offer for you.

Payment is via BACS

I work as a counsellor with EAP Provider, Spill.

I am an approved practitioner with Vitality Health Insurance


Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday

I work online using Zoom

Further information

How do I book an appointment?
Email me (b.riddell@hotmail.co.uk) or phone/text me on 07906 576167.  I know how frustrating it can be when you want help NOW but just get a voicemail message, but I will get back to you within 24 hours.


Type of session


Types of client

Young people
Older adults
Employee Assistance Programme

Online platforms



Barbara Riddell

Barbara Riddell