Barbara Riddell (MBACP), Therapeutic Counsellor
Are you feeling anxious? Depressed? Having problems with your relationship? Getting angry too often? Drinking too much?
I know that thinking about counselling is a big step. It can be daunting to think that you're going to reveal your innermost thoughts to a stranger. I am an experienced counsellor, and registered member of the BACP (British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy). I will listen to you and try to understand your worries and fears, in a non-judgemental and caring way so that you can live a happier life.
How I work - I trained as an integrative counsellor, which means I can draw on different counselling models to specifically each person with their unique problems.
What happens in counselling? - Counselling can help explain why we think and behave in the ways we do – often repeating patterns that don’t help us. A counsellor does not give advice, instead, they help you to untangle your problems so that you can change unhelpful thoughts and behaviours. You can find out more by visiting the Counselling Directory’s Frequently Asked Questions: https://www.counselling-directory.org.uk/importantinfo.html
Where I work - I work in Chessington & Surbiton:
Chessington: The Surrey Centre for Natural Health, 9a Mansfield Rd, Chessington KT9 2PJ. Day, evening & weekend appointments are all available.
Surbiton: 96 Ditton Road, Surbiton, KT6 6RH. Appointments only available on Tuesday mornings (8am to 10am) and Wednesday evenings (5pm to 7pm).
Training, qualifications & experience
Training & qualifications
- Level 5 Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling
- Level 3 Certificate in Counselling Skills
- NVQ Level 3 in Health & Social Care (specialising in Substance Misuse)
- Level 2 Certificate in Counselling Skills
- Master's Degree in Cultural Studies
- First Class BA (Hons) Degree in Contemporary Cultural Studie
- I am an experienced Counsellor and a registered member of the BACP (British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy). Find out more here: https://www.bacp.co.uk/
- I have counselled people struggling with addictions – alcohol, drugs, online gambling – as well as their partners
- I have worked as a counsellor with ASCA (Addiction, Support and Care Agency) in Surbiton
- I have counselled young adults struggling with anxiety.
- I have worked as an in-house counsellor at alcohol/drug rehab service in Surrey.
- I have knowledge and understanding of Twelve Step Fellowship programmes (eg AA)
- I have experience of working with women who are questioning their sexuality, wondering if they are gay or lesbian, and what that might mean for their lives
- I have extensive experience of supporting people with mental health issues – eg depression, bipolar disorder, borderline personality disorder and dissociative disorder (formerly called multiple personality disorder).
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anger management
- Attachment disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Career counselling
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Emotional abuse
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Sex addiction
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Addiction to alcohol/drugs/online gambling
Anger management for men
Photos & videos
I charge £50.00 per session.
You can pay by debit/credit card, or in cash.
I am an approved practitioner with Vitality Health Insurance
I also offer concessionary rates for people on low incomes (please contact me to discuss your situation)
How do I book an appointment?
Email me email@example.com or phone/text me on 07906 576167. Don't forget to leave your first name and a phone number, and check your Junk Mail for my email reply. I know how frustrating it can be when you want help NOW but just get a voicemail message, but I will get back to you within 24 hours.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Day, evening & weekends
Types of client