Barbara Mitchels PhD, FBACP (Snr Accred), BACP Registered
Watershed Counselling Service provides:
- Counselling & psychotherapy
- Professional support, mentoring
- Professional consultancy ( including discussion of ethical dilemmas and legal issues)
- CPD Workshops (can be designed for your organisation's needs)
For a list of Professional Development (CPD) workshops see www.therapylaw.co.uk and email to make enquiries or bookings.
For publications and training Resources please email for detail
Barbara has twenty-nine years post qual experience in counselling and psychotherapy, working in a wide range of settings including private and GP practice, a university counselling service, professional staff support for hospital and emergency services, employee assistance programmes. Following qualification in supervision at UEA, she has been providing professional mentoring and supervision for therapists and others in the caring professions for many years.
Barbara qualified as a Law Society accredited Family Mediator, with experience in community mediation (now retired from this role).
Barbara has published widely - her research and publications are relevant to counselling, ethical practice and the law, and her books include confidentiality and record keeping, legal issues in the counselling professions, traumatic stress, child law, and safeguarding vulnerable adults and children. For a recent publications list, see www.therapylaw.co.uk.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Counselling and Psychotherapy; Professional Supervision, Mentoring and Consultancy Support
Dr Barbara Mitchels is a BACP Registered Practitioner (Senior Accredited) and Fellow of BACP, with twenty-nine years post qualification experience in counselling and psychotherapy, working in a wide variety of settings including private and GP practice, a university counselling service, healthcare and emergency services support, and work based employee assistance programmes.
Professional qualifications include:
- Diploma in counselling and psychotherapy
- Adv Cert Counselling Supervision University of East Anglia
- Post-qualification training in a variety of therapeutic modalities, including the principles of CBT, and specialist treatments for trauma.
- Barbara has experience in the UK and abroad working for the Emergency services, UNICEF, Red Cross, Save the Children, and other organisations. Her PhD research explored the relationship of post traumatic stress and conflict, during long-term post-war peace-building work in the Balkans. Her books and journal papers are mainly on topics related to therapy and the law, ethics, post-traumatic stress, and supporting vulnerable witnesses.
(For more details, see the supervision section)
Publications, CPD Workshops and Courses
Available all around the UK: interactive, discussive workshops, using scenarios & case studies.
Workshop topics are relevant to therapy and the law, ethics and best practice, mediation, working with trauma and supporting vulnerable witnesses in the court process :
- confidentiality and record keeping
- maintaining best practice
- legal issues for therapists and supervisors
- supporting children and vulnerable adults in the court process
- traumatic stress
- forensic and safeguarding issues
For lists of current workshops and publications please see www.therapylaw.co.uk
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Professional Consultancy (e.g. ethical and legal issues)
Mentoring and Professional Support
Problem solving and decision making
Work and career planning
Adjustment and loss
Please feel free to contact me to discuss your needs and circumstances. Special rates are available.
Fees are negotiable for:
- Counselling and Psychotherapy
- Counselling and Psychotherapy Supervision
- Mentoring and Professional Support
- Professional Consultancy
Watershed undertakes private and publicly funded work.
Concessions offered for
Information for referrals
I am happy to offer telephone, online, or face to face assessments for:
- Self-referred private clients
- Client referred by their GP or psychiatrist
- Colleagues seeking supervision
- Professionals seeking mentoring or support
- Professionals seeking consultancy
Referrals may be made by GPs, local authorities, agencies and organisations, and with client agreement, work can be undertaken in liaison with other professionals in the provision of commissioned therapy or consultancy work.
- The Ethical Framework for the Counselling Professions of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy, applies to all Watershed and TherapyLaw work. see www.bacp.co.uk.
- Enhanced DBA check certificate held.
- GDPA compliant and ICO registration applies.