Ayhan Alman - Counsellor & Psychotherapist - Stress Management & EMDR
Hi, I am Ayhan, an experienced Counsellor, Psychotherapist, EMDR and Trauma-informed Therapist, helping my clients to overcome a range of mental health and emotional challenges.
In my private practice, I work with many aspects of the human experience. Difficulties in relationships, loss, bereavement and stress. My aim is to create a safe and accepting space for exploration. My approach to counselling is based on the gestalt approach, mindfulness, trauma-informed therapy and eye movement desensitisation and reprocessing (known as EMDR). Change often happens naturally and effortlessly when we find ways to accept ourselves as we are.
If you are going through a difficult time I suggest you contact me via email or phone and we arrange a brief telephone call to discuss whether I can help you. We can then arrange the first session after that.
Many clients who seek my help experience various degrees of stress from overwhelming past experiences that still impact on them even though the event has passed. These type of problems are often addressed as trauma, which may sound like a big word, but all it means is literally “wound“. As with physical wounds, there can be small and big ones. While small wounds can be patched up easily, the big ones can become resistant to heal and keep hurting.
As a practitioner, I am aware that your experiences will be different from mine. Even if we might share similarities, my aim is not to assume what it is like to be you. Working with diversity and difference means to me a capacity to connect in spite of differences in background, orientation, ethnicity, and belief systems. It doesn’t mean that our differences don’t matter, quite the contrary – that recognition and awareness of differences is essential for meaningful contact.
How can I help?
Many circumstances can cause a great deal of suffering, such as the loss of a loved one, adversity in childhood or later in life, events that cause high levels of stress, or work arrangements that are not aligned with our needs. Over the years of my practice, I learnt that a holistic approach to therapy where mind, body and relationships are considered as a whole is effective and helped many clients to feel better about themselves.
Getting in touch...
Taking the first step and reaching out for support can be difficult. It is normal to feel uncertain and worry about finding the right therapist, with whom you may go on to share some deeply personal experiences. My aim is to create a safe and accepting space for exploration. Change often happens naturally when we learn to accept ourselves as we are.
Please call or text me on 07470 036032 or click here to send me an email.
Training, qualifications & experience
With more than 15 years experience as a researcher, facilitator and creative collaborator, I found myself drawn to the relational challenges we face. My own personal experience of being able to change and grow, and the joy of seeing others change and grow prompted my interest in counselling & psychotherapy.
My training enables me to support clients effectively. I draw from a wide set of tools to design each engagement based on client needs and preferences. I am experienced with short-term counselling and long-term psychotherapy and worked for various services including the NHS.
- MSc Gestalt Psychotherapy – Middlesex University, London
- Clinical Diploma Gestalt Psychotherapy – Metanoia, London
- Post-Graduate Diploma Contemporary Trauma Practice – Relational Change, Oxford
- Diploma in Gestalt Psychotherapeutic Counselling – Metanoia, London
- MA Digital Arts – University of the Arts, London
Continuous Professional Development:
- Part 1, 2 & 3 (ongoing) EMDR Europe Standard Accredited Training – EMDR Academy, Roehampton/Online
- Couples Counselling / Attachment (ongoing) – PESI UK
- Gender, Sex & Relationship Diversity (ongoing) – Pink Therapy, UK
- Delivering Psychotherapy & EMDR Online – EMDR Academy, EMDR Association & Online Therapy Institute
- Practitioner Diploma in Executive Coaching – AoEC, London
- Certificate in Humanistic Counselling – Gestalt Centre, London
- Foundation in Performance/Acting – Arts Ed, London
- UK Council for Psychotherapy – Accredited
- European Association for Gestalt Therapy – Accredited
- UK Association for Gestalt Practitioners – Accredited
- Asociación Española de Terapia Gestalt – Member
- EMDR Association UK & Ireland – Member
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
UK Council for Psychotherapy
The UK Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP) is a leading professional body for the education, training and regulation of psychotherapists and psychotherapeutic counsellors. Its register is accredited by the government's Professional Standards Authority.
As part of its commitment to protect the public, it works to improve access to psychotherapy, to support and disseminate research, to improve standards and to respond effectively to complaints against its members.
UKCP standards cover the range of different psychotherapies. Registration is obtained by training or accrediting with one of its member organisations, or by holding a European Certificate in Psychotherapy. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Fees for Counselling, Psychotherapy & EMDR
- Weekly Fee: £70 (50 min) / Concession: £60*
- Extended Sessions (e.g for EMDR): £100 (80 min) / Concession: £90*
* Concessions are available when fees are paid monthly in advance