Avraam Karagiannis MBACP(Snr. Accred), MA, Cert. Supervision.
From my own therapy I know too well how it feels to express your innermost and often deeply buried feelings, thoughts and emotions to a complete stranger. I will do my best to make you feel comfortable by providing a supportive environment where you can explore the issues you are facing safely and without fear of being judged or criticised.
We often hear words such as anxious, depressed or stressed being used to describe how someone feels but the circumstances which have caused the anxiety, depression or stress are unique to our own life. Exploring this in therapy can help to understand the underlying factors causing these feelings and how they are impacting on us and on our relationships with others.
My work aims to help you untangle your thoughts and feelings, to help you make more sense of who you are as a person so that you are better able to address the issues which are troubling you.
I work with all ages from 18 upwards and also provide couples counselling. I am experienced in working with people with a broad range of issues including anxiety, depression, relationship issues, low self-confidence and stress including work related stress.
I practice from a private rural location in Mid - Suffolk, IP14. I have adapted my practice to ensure social distancing is respected at all times but am also experienced in offering counselling or supervision using ZOOM and skype. More details about COVID19 below.
If you want to discuss anything or explore how we might be able to work together please drop me a line.
Safe Distancing and Covid-19
I have taken steps to ensure that safe distancing is in place when working face-to-face.
- You will park at your allocated space which is not close to any other cars
- I will meet you by your car and together (keeping a safe distance) we will walk to the counselling room which is detached from any other building.
- In the counselling room we will be sitting at a safe distance from each other.
- The counselling room has its own toilet which will be cleaned after each use and also has a number of windows which will be opened during the session (if the weather allows us to do so). If not, I will open the windows after each client. I will leave a minimum of 30 minutes gap between each client in order to ventilate the room.
- In order to avoid the exchange of money you can pay with a credit card or bank transfer. If you need to pay by cash, I would ask that you leave the money on the table.
- All surfaces will be cleaned after each client.
- Further information on COVID updates on the following sites:
I am an Online and Telephone Counselling Certified Counsellor with Counselling Tutor.
If we were to decide to work online here are some of the things you need to be aware of before we start. I will also send you a more detailed information sheet about how to prepare for our online therapy session.
- My preferred video conferencing platform, also recommended by the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy, is ZOOM, (free service). Please register before we start. More information here: ZOOM.
- Once we have agreed a date and time I will send you an invite by email. At our allocated time I will be waiting for you in our virtual room. All you need to do to join is log on using the Personal Meeting ID and password, which I will email to you.
- If you prefer to use a different video conferencing platform please let me know and we can explore that together.
- It is advisable to use headphones.
- If you are new to online video calls perhaps try to practice with a friend or a family member beforehand.
If we were to decide to work together, in my contract I will outline how I will process the data I will hold on you, what I will do with that data, and your rights under the GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation).
Training, qualifications & experience
I am a qualified, BACP Senior Accredited Counsellor/Psychotherapist and have been working clinically with individuals and couples in my private practice since 2010. I am also a qualified supervisor.
I recently spent 12 months working in the Staff Counselling Service at Cambridge University but am now focussed entirely on my private practice.
- MA Counselling from the University of East Anglia.
- MA Professional Development (Health Psychology & Counselling).
- BA Psychology
- Postgraduate Certificate Focusing-Oriented Psychotherapy.
- Postgraduate Certificate in Health Psychology.
- Postgraduate Certificate in Learning and Teaching (Higher Education)
- Accredited Mediator, Alternative Dispute Resolution.
- Clinical supervision
MBACP (Senior Accredited): of British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
WORK RELATED STRESS
I have considerable experience supporting clients presenting with work related issues including 12 months working in the Staff Counselling Service at Cambridge University. Below are some of the issues that I have worked with:
Overload, caused by unrealistic deadlines and expectations
Unhealthy Working relationships, including dealing with an aggressive management style, feeling isolated, bullied, harassed, poor relationships with colleagues, others taking credit for your own achievements.
Fear of Job insecurity, caused by having temporary/fixed term contracts, fear of redundancy, covid19 related issues
Feeling under resourced, due to lack of appropriate training to do the job.
Poor Work-life balance, because of the impact of the demands of the job on personal and home life, unsocial hours, excessive travel and over demanding work schedules.
Pay and benefits, such as feeling under rewarded for the job you are doing
Sense of Lack of Control, feeling left out of decision making or lack of time to complete a task
According to research:
- Around half a million people in the UK experience work-related stress
- up to 5 million people in the UK feel ‘very’ or ‘extremely’ stressed by their job
- stress-related illness is responsible for the loss of 6.5 million working days each year
Individual Psychotherapy (50 minutes) £50.00
Couples counselling (1 hour) £60.00
METHODS OF PAYMENT
Cash, credit card, online banking transfer, paypal, ApplePay or by cheque.
- Monday 09:00-18:00
- Tuesday 09:00-18:00
- Wednesday 09:00-18:00
- Thursday 09:00-18:00
- Friday 09:00-17:00
We now live in a digital world so please consider looking at my digital policy: