Holistic Psychotherapist specialising in Trauma Therapy…. Experienced in working with Childhood Abuse, Complex PTSD, Sudden Bereavement, Flashbacks, Nightmares, Anxiety and Panic Attacks, Low Self Esteem.
My love of, and connection with, nature and animals has led me to bring the healing spirit of nature into my counselling work.
My interest in the latest research in neuroscience and the understanding of working with PTSD and other complex trauma symptoms has helped me develop an integrative way of working, not just working with the mind but incorporating your whole being i.e mind, body and spirit as I believe they are all connected and to enable healing to take place we need to concentrate on all aspects. Our sessions will be tailored to you as an individual person.
Working with the whole person I will try and help you find a balance where you can feel a sense of peace and stillness in the hustle and bustle of everyday life.
This is not just a talking therapy, we may work with mindfulness, the creative arts, sand tray, body/somatic response therapy or even outside amongst nature; whatever you feel comfortable doing and what you feel is helpful to you.
I cover South Devon, Torbay and the South hams and work from a beautiful peaceful room in Torbay.
Training, qualifications & experience
I started my training in 2009 at the Iron Mill Institute where I passed my Foundation in Counselling. I then went on to complete my Advanced Diploma in Counselling at the Dartmoor Centre for Counselling and Psychotherapy where I also achieved a Diploma in Sand Tray Therapy. I have completed my advanced trauma training and gained the ESTSS certificate in Psychotraumatology. I am a BACP Accredited Counsellor/Psychotherapist.
I am passionate about learning and keeping myself up to date with current thinking around neuroscience and trauma.
CPD to date:
National Institute for the Clinical Application of Behavioral Medicine (nicabm): Why the Vagal System Holds the Key to the Treatment of Trauma - Stephen Porges
PODS (1 day workshop) - Working with Shame
National Institute for the Clinical Application of Behavioral Medicine (nicabm)
Treating Trauma Master Series:
Ruth Buczynski Pat Ogden Peter Levine Bessel van der Kolk
Ruth Lanius Dan Siegel Stephen Porges Allan Schore
· The Neurobiology of Trauma
· The Neurobiology of Attachment
· How to work with Traumatic Memory that is embedded in the Nervous System
· How to help clients tolerate dysregulation and come back from Hypoarousal:
· How to Work with the limbic system to reverse the physiological imprint of trauma:
· How Trauma Impacts the Major Brain Networks
· How to work with emotional and procedural memory in the case of preverbal trauma
· How to help clients who are stuck in a Trauma Response
London Trauma Specialists: Dr Georgina Clifford ( 1 day workshop)
Facilitating a Trauma-focused Therapy Group Intervention for Complex PTSD
ISC International: ( 3 day conference): Attachment & Trauma Conference:
Relationships, Consciousness & the Developing Self:
· Marco Iacoboni: “What we talk about when we talk about bottom up and top down brain processes: Like a thought that is also a feeling.
· Orit Badouk Epstein: The Development of the self in the presence of a Scaregiver
· Bruce Ecker: Complex Attachment Trauma meets memory reconsolidation
· Daniel P Brown: The Attachment Project
· Stephen W Porges: The Emergence of a Polyvagal-Informed Therapy
· Dr Marilyn Glenville: The Role Nutrition Plays in Healing from Trauma
· Alessandro Carmelita/Marina Cirio: Mindful Interbeing Mirror Therapy
· Ruth Lanius: Healing the Traumatized Self
· Onno van der Hart: Severe Attachment Trauma manifesting in complex dissociation
October 2018: Healing the Fragmented Selves of Trauma Survivors- Janina Fisher ( 2 days)
May 2018: Sleep Haven Technique - supporting people with nightmares and sleep disturbance
October 2017 - Compassionate Mind Foundation Conference:
- DBT-PTSD An evidence based CFT informed approach to treat Complex PTSD 1 day workshop
- Compassion Integrating Therapies - 2 Day Conference
June 2017 PODS - Child Sexual Abuse - Hope for Healing
2017 Annual General Conference UKPTS Belfast - Trauma Conflict and Resolution
- The development & Facilitation of an Emotion and Memory Group Programme for the treatment of complex PTSD
- Coordinated response for psychological care of survivors of terrorist attacks
November 2016: The Trauma Counsellors Toolbox - Christianne Sanderson
June 2016: Resilience, Secondary Trauma and Post Traumatic Growth - BPS
April 2016: UKPTS Annual General Conference Edinburgh
Dec 2016: UKPTS Annual General Regional Conference Cardiff ESTSS Certificate in Psychotraumatology modules:
Resilience, Secondary Trauma and Post Trauma Growth
Treatment of Traumatic Stress Reactions in Children
Psychological Therapy for PTSD & Comorbid drug/alcohol misus
EMDR Anger, Resentment & Revenge Protocol
Child and Adolescent Trauma
Aug/Sept 2015 British Mindfulness Institute
8 week online Mindfulness & Meditation Course
20/21st April 2015 Annual Regional ConferenceUKPTS London
1/2/3rd Dec 2014 Oxford Cognitive Therapy Centre
PTSD Assessment, Formulation & Integrating Theory with Practice
Working with Trauma Memories – using Enhanced Reliving & Other Narrative approaches to Work with Trauma Memories within the Context of Adult PTSD
Cognitive Therapy for PTSD – working with unhelpful Appraisals and Images
20/21st October 2015 Oxford Cognitive Therapy Centre
Concept of Trauma – beyond PTSD
Trauma, Trauma Memory and the Brain
12/13th July 2014 Annette Schwalbe Bristol - Body Mapping Intensive
17th May 2014 PODS Exeter - Living and Working with Dissociation
26/27/28 February 2014 Dr Mary Welford Exeter -
Intro to Theory and Practice of Compassion Focused Therapy
20th November 2013 Compass Therapy Centre - Intro Compassion Focused Therapy
Aug/Sept 2013 Rowcroft Hospice, - Bereavement & Befriending Volunteer Training
31st May 2013 BACP - BACP Certificate of Proficiency
18th May 2013 Limbus Devon - Language and Trauma – Valerie Sinason
22/23rd September 2012 Lila Institute , Devon - The Role of Play in Awakening Being
25th May 2012 Isle of Avalon Foundation - An Intro to Spiritual Counselling
27th May 2011 CAHMS Torbay - Intro to Autism and ADHD
20th Oct 2010 – CAHMS Torbay - Stress and Trauma Resolution
I am currently working as a specialist Trauma psychotherapist with Assist Trauma Care as well as running my own private counselling/psychotherapy practice.
I am part of the EAP programme for Rowcroft the local hospice in Torbay providing counselling support to their staff.
I provide a bi monthly wellbeing supervision group for Rowcroft Community Staff
I work for Torbay and South Devon NHS Trust as part of their Carers Support Programme providing counselling support to carers in the bay.
I run Nature and Wilderness Outdoor Group Therapy Sessions in the beautiful Devon Countryside.
I have worked in a variety of settings including:
- In conjunction with the Devon Partnership NHS Trust STEP team (Specialist Team for Early Psychosis)
- As part of the volunteer counselling team at The Jatis Project in Torquay which provides support to men and women 18+ who are affected by substance abuse
- As part of the EOTAS team with children suffering from emotional and behavioural problems.
- Within Torbay Care Trust's Carers Support Service as part of the Brixham Carer's Support Team.
- As a member of the PAT (Pets as Therapy) organisation over a number of years I have visited Dame Hannah Rogers School in Ivybridge and The Rowcroft Hospice in Torquay with my PAT dog Bumble.
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Trauma - Violence, Accident, Abuse
Relationship, and Family issues
Chronic pain such as ME, Fibromyalgia, Nerve pain
Dealing with a diagnosis
Depression/post natal depression
Low Self Esteem
Seasonal Affective Disorder
I offer short, medium or longer term sessions in a safe comfortable environment at a variety of locations within Torbay.
I am a member of The British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy and as such work within their codes of ethics.
My hourly rate is £50. I may offer concessions .
If you would like to meet for an initial discussion free of charge please contact me on:
01803 414021 or 07760 439760.
Please visit my website for more information:
Early morning or early evening appointments may also be possible -
I also run Creative Workshops for anyone, including counselling and psychology students, wishing to enhance their own understanding, healing and growth around feelings and emotions through the creativity of Art. (more information can be found on my website www.natureswaycounselling.co.uk)
I currently run Nature and Wildness Therapy Groups at various locations in South Devon.