Annie Burton MBACP (Accred) Counsellor for Adolescents
ADOLESCENT WELLBEING - nurturing young minds
Are you a parent or carer looking for help and support for your child who is going through a difficult time? Are you a young adult who has lost their way in life and struggling to cope?
Many young people experience difficult and challenging times and often try to deal with these on their own. Whether this is generalised anxiety, panic attacks, low mood or feeling angry most of the time, it is never easy dealing with these every day. After a time many begin to feel overwhelmed and struggle to know what to do. As a parent it’s heartbreaking to see your child going through a difficult time, you may also struggle to know what to do. As a young adult it can also be very overwhelming and hard to know who to turn to.
Seeking professional support from Adolescent Wellbeing can help young people to explore their difficulties, find ways to cope and help to reach their full potential.
What Adolescent Wellbeing can offer:
- A professional and confidential service
- A warm and friendly welcome
- A safe and comfortable space
- A gentle approach working at the pace of the young person
- Acceptance, honesty and non-judgemental approach
- Reliability and competency
- Knowledge about mental health difficulties and much more
- One to one sessions to fit in around school, college and university hours
- Extensive experience of working with young people
- Location near to Derby city centre - bus routes easily accessible
- Free parking
- Wheelchair access
Some of the benefits of help and support from Adolescent Wellbeing are:
- help to think through choices and make better decisions
- build confidence and self-esteem
- help manage the pressures of school, college or university life
- discover ways to react in a more positive way in certain situations
- help to take control of life and become more assertive
- reduce stress and angry outbursts
- improve school, college or university attendance
- understand and work through the pain of grief
For a FREE initial session, please get in touch. Please also feel free to either email or call with any questions. There is immediate availability, so no waiting time.
For more detailed information on my counselling service, please visit my website - www.adolescentwellbeing.co.uk
Training, qualifications & experience
- ABC Level 2 Certificate in Counselling Concepts
- CPCAB Level 2 Certificate in Counselling Skills
- CPCAB Level 3 Certificate in Counselling Studies
- CPCAB Level 4 Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling
- BACP Register of Proficiency
- BACP Accreditation
- BACP - Self & Identity: Breaking down barriers to inclusion
- BACP - Working with children in their world, a practitioners response
- BACP - Working with risk
- Derby Safeguarding Board - Everybody’s business
- Derby Safeguarding Board - Child protection conferences & core groups
- Derby Early Years - The Fragmented self: attachment theory
- PODS - Dealing with suicide and self-harm
- ICS Learn - Diploma in Child Psychology
- National Children’s Bureau - Gender Matters: gender identity, gender equality and trans inclusion for secondary schools
- Anna Freud Centre for Families - Peer support for children & young people’s mental health
- Mindfuless in Schools Project - Mindfulness programme
- Online Academies - Cognitive Behaviour Therapy
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anger management
- Attachment disorder
- Attachment disorder in children
- Behaviour problems
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Child related issues
- Childhood bereavement
- Childhood bullying
- Children’s learning difficulties
- Depression and anxiety in children
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic attacks
- Physical abuse
- Relationship problems
- Separation and divorce
- Separation anxiety
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
Other areas of counselling I deal with
I am particularly keen to welcome young people from the LGBT community. Having worked in a secondary school, I know how homophobia, biphobia and transphobia can be damaging. I have worked closely with Stonewall to educate students and staff to create an inclusive environment.
Photos & videos
Counselling sessions are 50 minutes
Each session is £45
Payment can be made either by cash or bank transfer and must be paid either in advance or on the day
Sessions can be booked around school, college and university hours. Evening appointments are available.
During the first session, I invite parents and careers to attend for the first 20 minutes of the session with the young person’s permission. The remainder of the session is for the young person only. The first session is free of charge.
Here's what some young people say about their experience:
"Thank you. I can't put into words how much you have changed my life. Thank you for listening to me, thank you for not judging me, thank you for being someone I trust and supporting me through my bad days and good days. Because of you I can finally be happy, confident and be the person you saw me to be"
"Thanks to you I can now look in the mirror and not feel ashamed. I can work through panic attacks. I can accept and look at situations in a more positive way, but most importantly, I can now accept myself for who I am"
"I really can't thank you enough for listening, caring and supporting me. You've been my lighthouse in what seemed like a very dark sea and I don't know where I'd be without you"
"Thank you so much. If it wasn't for the counselling sessions, I would have given up ages ago but I kept going. You made me realise that I can do anything, I am good enough. Thank you so much for supporting me and being such an amazing counsellor"
"Thank you so much. You have helped me so much and things are finally getting better. It has meant a lot and it has been a tough journey but it has been so much better having you by my side"
"It has really helped me get through a lot of stress and upset. I've felt better knowing I have someone I can talk to. I've really appreciated everything you have done for me"
"Thank you for your faith in me. I promise to 'be kind to myself' as you always reminded me to be"
"Thank you for everything you have done for me, you have been so supportive and I can't thank you enough"
"Thank you for the inspiration and always believing in me even when sometimes, I didn't believe in myself. I have all you have taught me stored safely in my mind and heart"
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Sessions to fit around school, college and university hours. Evening sessions are available. No waiting time, immediate availability.
Types of client