Ann-Marie James MA Psychotherapist & Health Coach
I have a unique combination of training in psychology, relationship therapy, nutrition and health. My specialist interest is in using physiology to treat anxiety & depression. I am also an experienced couples therapist.
I work with clients helps to maximise their wellbeing through psychotherapy, often combined with evidence-based health coaching. I have recently trained in breathwork coaching for anxiety & depression. This is a scientific physiological intervention to regulate stress response and reduce anxiety or to boost mood and reduce depression.
I have over 15 years’ experience as a psychotherapist and co-direct Reading's largest centre for psychotherapy & counselling. I believe in the power of self-understanding, self-exploration and effective communication as tools for developing ourselves. Therapy can assist in the development of all of these.
I frequently work with clients with anxiety, depression, history or symptoms of eating disorders, mental health concerns, sports performance concerns, health anxiety or recurring health problems and those wishing to optimise their emotional wellbeing.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Master of Arts, Pastoral Counselling, New York, USA, 2000
- BA(Hons) Counselling Psychology, Illinois, USA, 1998
- BACP Accredited since 2009
- Certified Health Coach (CHC) with the National Society of Health Coaches, USA, 2019
- Certified Nutrition Coach (Pn1) with Precision Nutrition, 2019
- Member of the UK Health Coaches Association
- Advanced Certificate in Emotion Focused Therapy for Couples, London, UK
- Certificate in Multi-Systemic Family Therapy, Maine, USA 2002
- Over 15 years experience in counselling & psychotherapy
- Co-Director, Mind Garden Therapy Ltd since 2010, Reading's largest centre for psychotherapy & counselling
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
- Health coaching
- Physiology coaching for anxiety, depression & stress
- £60 for individual psychotherapy (50 minutes)
- £40 for health or nutrition coaching (45 minutes)
- Other packages for breathwork coaching, health coaching & therapy available on request.
All services available online or in person.
Concessions offered for
- Nutrition, fitness & physiology for emotional health
- Long term relationships
- Relationship difficulties including adjustment to divorce, separation, changes in primary relationships
- Mental illness & the impact on family
- Adult autism / Asperger's and its impact on family
- Family therapy for adult relationships in families (adult siblings / parents & grown children, etc.)