Andy McFadyen. PG DIP, BA (Hons) Counselling & Psychotherapy
Hi, my name is Andy and I offer counselling and psychotherapy in the Preston area.
Although things are improving, unfortunately there’s still a lot of stigma for people around seeking support for their mental health. I feel it’s important people are able to access professional mental health support regardless of who they are. Many people are struggling with something in life, a lot more than you may think, and sometimes knowing you aren’t alone can bring a sense of comfort. Recently, a lot of celebrities have raised awareness by speaking out about their own struggles (look at Stormzy, Robbie Williams and Ariana Grande for example) which has encouraged others to do the same. My aim is to offer a space where talking about your struggles is a completely acceptable and normal thing to do.
How do I work?
- I use an integrative approach which means drawing from a number of approaches to meet a clients needs.
- Approaches I use are emotion focused, psychodynamic, cognitive behavioural and solution focused therapies.
- I can work both short and long term.
- Where necessary and appropriate, I may offer suggestions or bring in some of my own experiences in order to help the therapeutic process.
- I offer a safe, non-judgmental space where you are able to work through your thoughts, feelings and experiences.
- I have worked with people with a variety of problems such as stress, anxiety, depression and relationship problems.
- I also have a particular interest in working with depression and anxiety disorders using an integrative perspective.
- I use a specific and tailored approach to help manage the depression or anxiety as well as addressing and dealing with the root causes.
- Sessions will be done at your own pace and will be reviewed every three to six sessions to make sure you are happy with the way we’re working, and you are getting what you need from the therapy.
Training, qualifications & experience
- BA (Hons) Communication (Uclan)
- Postgraduate Certificate Advanced Counselling skills for practice
- PG Diploma Integrative Psychotherapy.
Additional training & Continual Professional Development Workshops
- Focusing as a life skill- an introduction to focusing (2016)
- Mindfulness & Neuro Linguistic Programming (NLP) (2017)
- Existential Counselling & Psychotherapy (2017)
- Working at Relational Depth in Counselling & Psychotherapy (2018)
- A Day On Meaning (2018)
- Safeguarding in Schools (2019)
I have experience of working with people with mild to severe mental health needs, ranging from:
- Bipolar disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
Other issues I have worked with include and are not limited to:
- Relationship problems
- Drug and Alcohol misuse
- People caring for those with long term health conditions.
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- I offer a free, 15 minute no obligation consultation.
- Individual 50 minute (face-to-face) session £40 per hour.
- Individual 50 minute (Skype, Zoom, Whatsapp) session £40 per hour.
- Bank transfer
- As a member of the BACP i adhere to their code of ethical practice.
- I attend monthly supervision
- I attend continual professional development events throughout the year
- I have a current and valid Enhanced DBS check.