Andrew Hodder MBACP (registered) Dip. CBT Dip. Psychotherapy MSc. Counselling
Finding the right counsellor to suit your needs can be difficult, therefore I offer a free initial consultation to help identify your issues, and for you to learn a little about the way we can work together. I am a Masters Degree educated counsellor and psychotherapist with nearly 28 years professional experience as a counsellor and psychotherapist, supervisor and trainer. I have 24 years experience of providing counselling and psychotherapy, short term (6 sessions) and longer term in GP practices in Bath, Wiltshire and Somerset, and in private practice.
I believe that no single counselling or therapy approach suits the needs of a broad spectrum of people or presenting problems and therefore, work integratively using a number of counselling approaches including psychodynamic therapy, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, Humanistic Counselling, and Transactional Analysis.
I offer a free no obligation initial 30 minute consultation to explore your issues and to allow you to decide whether I am the right thaerapist for you.
I work in Rode (Nr Frome).
I am a reistered member of BACP and work to their code of ethics and practice.
I have experience working with issues including:
Depression, Anxiety and Panic, Stress, OCD, Trauma and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Addictions, Grief and Loss, Relationship Problems, Domestic Violence, Anger Management, Eating Disorders, Bi-polar Disorder, Bullying, Child Abuse (physical, emotional, sexual and neglect), Low Self-confidence, Low Self-esteem, Termination/Miscarraige, Sexuality, Work Related Issues.
Training, qualifications & experience
Training and qualifications
Registered Mental Nurse (hons) 1977-1980
Enrolled Nurse General 1982-1984
Diploma in Psychodynamic Psychotherapy (full time course) 1987-1988
MSc. Counselling (University of Bristol) 1992-1994
Diploma in CBT 2014 - 2015
- 37 years professional experience in the NHS
- 27 years experience working with those having moderate to serious mental health problems, emotional distress and as a psychotherapist within the NHS
- Masters degree educated
- A wide knowledge of a number of theoretical models of counselling and psychotherapy, both brief and long-term.
- I have previously held Senior Lecturing and Tutoring Posts at some of the UK’s top Universities.
- Experience in developing training programmes, a trauma de-briefing service, evaluation tools and counselling systems
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Relationship problems
- Schizoid personality disorder
- Schizotypal personality disorder
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Loss and transition
Job Loss and Redundancy
Support for family members regarding self-harm and suicide
Psychotherapy groups and focussed groups such as:
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Group therapy
- Humanistic therapies
Fees are capped at £40 for a 60 minute session and I offer a sliding scale of fees negotiable at the initial consultation.. My aim is to provide affordable counselling for all in times of distress or for personal development.
I offer reduced fees for counselling to counsellors in training.
I work in Rode (between Frome and Trowbridge) and can be flexible regarding times of sessions. Sessions do not have to be weekly and you have a choice regarding regularity.
An increasing number of Health Insurance Companies are including Counselling as part of their health & well being package - it's worth enquiring to check if the cost can be claimed back.
I am also a qualified supervisor with 23 years experience of supervising counsellors, therapists and health workers in higher education, the NHS, voluntary and statutory organisations and private practice.
I offer reduced fees for supervision to counsellors in training.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Types of client
Supervision & training
I have been practising as a supervisor for 23 years since training at Bristol University.View supervision profile