Truro And Surrounding Areas
Life is a journey with the only certainty being change, often the changes we experience aren’t easy or even made by choice and can impact us in many ways.
I believe in the humanistic principle that you are unique and have the ability to discover your own solutions in a non-judgemental and supportive environment. I am a fully qualified Person Centred counsellor who works with respect for my clients, providing a safe and confidential space for you to explore the issues you face with me. You won't be told what to do but I will support you whilst you consider your options and come to your own decisions.
I’ve gained a breadth of experience counselling clients working through issues of:
- bereavement and ill health
- gambling and alcohol addiction
- eating disorders
- gender identity
- sexual and domestic abuse.
I also welcome clients who need someone to talk to when presented with life limiting diagnosis, end of life decisions. I also welcome carers who are facing challenging situations and need additional support.
More about how I work:
I have a therapy room in the centre of Truro but will secure a room elsewhere for clients unable to access this. I’m a registered member of the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (MBCAP) working ethically and with regular supervision towards Accreditation. I’m fully insured and have a current enhanced DBS check as I mentor university students and counsel young people for a local charity in addition to my private practice.
Self-care is very important to me and part of my life since moving to Cornwall. I find being outside walking the beaches and countryside therapeutic especially with the company of my young dog. Spending time with my family and friends is very important and I practice yoga and meditation for the peace it brings me.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Level 5 Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling - Person Centred 2015
- Certificate of proficiency
- PGCE Greenwich University 2005
- BA Hons Degree Psychology - Open University 1992
- Volunteer as a young persons counsellor - KOOTH 2018- ongoing
- Co-Tutor L4 Counselling Course CPCAB 2017-ongoing
- Teacher of L5 L3 Counselling Courses 2015-2016;
- Peer Support Trainer and Supervisor - Southampton University 2015-16
- Portsmouth Counselling Service post qualification 2015-16
- 2013-15 Voluntary work with Gamcare Southampton; The Bereavement Charity Petersfield; Young persons counsellor at Havant College, Hants;
- Safeguarding young people 11 years + - 9 hours KOOTH 2018
- 10 hours training as volunteer for KOOTH 2018
- Compassion Focused Therapy dealing with Trauma - 24 hours Dr Deborah Lee 2017
- Child sexual exploitation and abuse - 21 hours CISter's registered charity 2017
- MHFA lite course - Southampton University 2016
- Trauma and the body: Somatisation and Dissociation - PODS 6 hours 2015
- Abuse - what, when how to respond - Portsmouth Counselling service 2015
- Working with Problem Gambling - 12 hours Gamcare Southampton 2014
- Bereavement Training - 30 hours The Bereavement Counselling Charity 2013
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anorexia nervosa
- Binge-eating disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
I offer a free half hour for us to meet and ensure we both feel comfortable to work together. I charge £45 per session but concessions are available.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
If you require wheelchair access I will find a venue where that is possible.
I now have availability Monday and Thursday's and can offer counselling appointments daytime and evenings at the moment.
Types of client