A warm welcome to my profile,
My name is Andrea and I am an online counsellor and psychotherapist (fully trained, registered and accredited both in-person and online). At the moment I currently work with NHS patients, university students and private clients and this is mostly online (webcam, telephone or chat). I appreciate it can be really hard to get a sense of a therapist through a written profile so I am happy to offer time to speak by phone or webcam before any commitment so you can ask questions and get a sense of how I might work. I can also make suggestions if you or I feel there may be a different type of therapy or therapist that might suit your needs better. Do get in touch if you feel this could be useful.
After completing training in psychology I completed professional training as a psychotherapist in 2008. This means I can work at depth where needed as well as brief work if preferred. In 2017, I qualified as an online counsellor which rubber stamps my ability to work with webcam, telephone and instant message - the choice would be yours. My therapy approach (Integrative) is to hold in mind all aspects of a person - sometimes it might be how a person thinks that is causing unhappiness or dissatisfaction in their life. Other times we can feel overwhelmed or numb from our emotional or feeling self and need support to notice, name and connect with difficult or powerful emotions. Similarly, how we act or behave may be causing us some distress and at times the focus of our work might be on the quality, lack of or loss of significant relationships in our lives. I find that, some people want to focus on present issues or future concerns whereas for others the impact of the past on the quality of their lives in the here-and-now might be the priority. For me, ongoing training is vital to being a therapist. I learn/refresh my knowledge continuously through courses, professional training, supervision and of course through my work with clients.
Examples of some areas of my work and experience to date...
In addition to my private work, I have worked in:
- the NHS within adult mental health services and NHS wellbeing and talking therapy services (i.e. IAPT).
- Prison services (Rehabilitation & Recovery)
- Wellbeing Clinics
- Colleges / Universities
- Employment Services /EAP services
I am passionate about ...
- emotional and psychological wellbeing (emotional range, self-esteem etc)
- personal development (Growth, changes, achievement)
- improving mood (sadness, feeling stuck, low motivation or drive to include clinical depression)
- restoring sense of balance (stress, anxiety, worry and panic)
- Processing change (grief/bereavement, life transitions - loss of a job or loved one)
- Enhancing the self (self-identity: family role/status, cultural identity; self-esteem and self-worth)
- Emotional-regulation: difficulties in managing/experiencing emotions
- Supporting through change or conflict (relationships: divorce, domestic violence, childbirth)
- Choice/control and power (Uncertainty/loss of direction)
- Experiences of culture
I am unable to provide crisis services and recommend that anyone needing immediate support contact the Samaritans, Befrienders International GP or local A&E
Training, qualifications & experience
- BSc Psychology, Birkbeck University
- Diploma in the Therapeutic and Educational Application of the Arts
- MA in Integrative Psychotherapy, IATE/Metropolitan University
- (In training) Counselling for Depression, Metanoia
- (in training) Clinical supervision, OCST
- Introductory courses in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) , mindfulness (MBCT) and EMDR
- Online counsellor (2017)
BACP Accredited Counsellor/Psychotherapist (BACP Reference 600084). BACP Registered (041101)
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
From £55.00 to £65.00
Free initial telephone or online session
Concessions offered for
EAP/Health Insurance Providers
I currently offer a sliding scale ranging from £55-£65 per hour
Please contact me for availability as this varies
I am currently offering clinical supervision at reduced rates for newly-qualified therapists.