Andrea Gavin B.Sc (Hons), MA, MBACP (Accred).
I am currently able to offer online counselling and psychotherapy via instant message, telephone or webcam. I am fully qualified in online therapy and am accredited with BACP.
After completing a degree in Psychology I completed my Masters degree in Psychotherapy which included attachment-based psychotherapy, Gestalt, TA and then did shorter trainings in CBT, Mindfulness and brief therapy. In addition, I am trained as an online counsellor and offer remote therapy. I recently completed NICE approved training in Counselling for Depression.
I qualified in 2009 and have over 10 years experience of working in wellbeing, recovery and the NHS in adult mental health. I also have experience of supporting people on return to work or education plans. My approach enables me to draw on a range of approaches depending on what works best for you.
Some background history:
In addition to my private work, I have worked in:
- Prison services
- In-patient/outpatient Mental Health
- Wellbeing Clinics
- Employment Services
- Minority Community Groups
- GP/NHS Clinics
Areas I have experience and interest in are:
- emotional and psychological wellbeing
- personal development
- sadness, sense of feeling stuck, lack of motivation and drive to include clinical depression
- stress, anxiety, worry and panic
- grief, loss /adjustment: bereavement, major life transition i.e. loss of a job; child; parent
- self-identity: family role/status, cultural identity; self-esteem and self-worth
- self-regulation: difficulties in managing/experiencing emotions as well as self-harm
- change or conflict in relationships: divorce, domestic violence, childbirth
- Uncertainty/loss of direction
- Expat issues
I am unable to provide crisis services and recommend that anyone needing immediate support contact the Samaritans, GP or local A&E
Training, qualifications & experience
- BSc Psychology, Birkbeck University
- Diploma in the Therapeutic and Educational Application of the Arts
- MA in Integrative Psychotherapy, IATE/Metropolitan University
- Counselling for Depression, Metanoia
- Introductory courses in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) , mindfulness (MBCT) and EMDR
BACP Accredited Counsellor/Psychotherapist (BACP Reference 600084). BACP Registered (041101)
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
My fees are £65 / 50 minute session
Deciding to start therapy is a big step and as such choosing the right therapist for you is a crucial part of this process. I am happy to talk through my style of working to explore if this fits with your hopes and expectations.