Dr Andrea Gallagher-Cowley
Every professional displayed on Counselling Directory has been independently
verified by our team to ensure they have suitable credentials to practise.
Every professional displayed on Counselling Directory has been independently verified by our team to ensure they have suitable credentials to practise.
I am Dr Andrea Gallagher-Cowley, a highly experienced Clinical Psychologist and with The Beacon Practice. I am passionate about working with young people, families and adults presenting with emotional distress. I help clients understand their difficulties and make changes to improve their mental health, well-being, lifestyle and relationships.
Please note, my caseload is currently full however I will be able to offer additional therapy slots from July 2022.
How Therapy Can Help
Are you experiencing difficulties with your mood and relationships and feel unable to make the changes you want to improve your life? Sometimes in our life we need a safe thinking space to make sense of what we have been through and to work out what to do to move forward. This could be in relation to work, personal life challenges or both. As a Clinical Psychologist I have the skills and expertise to help you work out a way forward.
With over 10 years experience, I have had the opportunity to develop skills working with clients presenting with difficulties including low mood and depression, anxiety, OCD, bereavement and loss, trauma and adjustment to life events. I am trained to use evidence based psychological therapies such as Interpersonal Psychotherapy, (IPT), Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT), Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) and Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) to help clients make changes they want to improve their life.
I believe that compassion and kindness are key for a person to heal emotionally and make progress to reach their goals. I provide a non-judgemental space for clients to feel listened to and understood. I see clients for assessment and therapeutic intervention from my therapy room based in Giffnock. I also offer online sessions using Google Meet. Please contact me for an initial free telephone consultation to discuss whether meeting would be of benefit.
What to Expect at your First Appointment
At our first appointment you will be given space to tell your story about the difficulties you have been through and what you are looking for from therapy. For some, this can feel understandably daunting and I help you through this, asking supportive questions and guiding what is best to share to get the most out of the appointment. Towards the end of this appointment I will provide a summary of what I have learned, looking at strengths and difficulties, and options for next steps which may involve meeting again for therapeutic support.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing, EMDRIA & EMDR-E: 2022
- Interpersonal Psychology Practitioner, IPT-UK: 2018
- Doctorate in Clinical Psychology, University of Glasgow: 2011
- BA (Hons) in Psychology, University of Strathclyde: 2001
- Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service, NHS GG&C: 2011 - 2015
- Community Autism Team NHS GG&C: 2011 - 2015
- Community Paediatrics, NHS Ayrshire and Arran: 2015 - 2018
- Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service, NHS Ayrshire and Arran: 2015 - Present Day
- NHS Education for Scotland (NES) Learning Coordinator: 2016 - Present Day
- Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule, 2nd Edition: ADOS-2: May 2019
- NES Experienced Supervisors Training: 2018
- NES/Anna Freud Centre Trauma Focused CBT Training: 2017
- Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder Paediatric and Clinical Psychology Training: 2016
- Dyadic Developmental Psychotherapy Level 1 Training: 2014
- Managing Behaviour with Attachment in Mind Training: 2014
- Emotional Abuse and Emotional Neglect Training: 2013
- NES Supervision Training for New Supervisors in Clinical Psychology: 2012
- NES Generic Supervision Competencies Training: 2012
- Webster Stratton Incredible Years Program Training: 2012
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC)
The HCPC are an independent, UK-wide health regulator. They set standards of professional training, performance and conduct for 16 professions.
They keep a register of health professionals who meet their standards, and they take action if registered health professionals fall below those standards. They were created by a piece of legislation called the Health Professions Order 2001.
Registration means that a health professional meets national standards for their professional training, performance and conduct.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Initial Assessment appointment £105 or £155 (55 or 80 minutes)
Weekday appointments: £105 (55 minutes)
Weekday appointments 5pm onwards: £115 (55 minutes)
Weekend daytime appointments: £115 (55 minutes)
I provide a free 15 minutes telephone consultation to discuss whether booking an initial assessment would be of benefit.
I am registered with the following insurance providers:
- AXA PPP
When I work
Appointments are available weekday evenings, during the day on a Thursday and Friday and some weekend mornings.
I meet with clients at my therapy room in Giffnock, parking is available.