Ana Cox - Counsellor, EMDR Therapist & Clinical Supervisor
Counselling - Currently I am fully booked and unable to accept enquiries. Due to the complicated nature of my current caseload I do not see any further sessions becoming available until the beginning of September 2019. Please note I do not keep a waiting list.
Clinical Supervision - Currently I only have the following slots available: Monthly 1.5 hours Mondays though I may have other pockets of availability, please contact me to discuss.
About how I work
I work in Croydon and the surrounding areas providing confidential counselling to both adults and young people. I also work as a Clinical Supervisor with student counsellors, qualified counsellors, life coaches, youth workers, social workers, and those in other helping professions.
I have worked in GP surgeries, schools, and private practice helping people from all walks of life with a very broad range of issues. Many of my clients come to me because their lives are being disrupted by stress, anxiety, generalised anxiety disorder (GAD), depression and relationship & family issues, and also trauma related symptoms. I will work with you integratively to see what we can do about your issues. Integrative counselling is where a counsellor is trained to work with in various ways, so I may incorporate any or a mix of the following: Person-Centred Approach, Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR), Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), Solution-Focussed, Psychodynamic, Mentalization Based Treatment (MBT), Existential, short-term, long-term, etc. We would always explore and discuss what the best approach for your issues might be together.
My research interests are cultural/bicultural identity development, multiculturalism, and also trauma & memory. I am a qualified EMDR therapist and since February 2017 have been successfully working using EMDR to work with clients experiencing trauma (both childhood trauma and adult trauma), depression, anxiety, pain, phobias and panic disorder. The use of EMDR has been recommended by the Department of Health’s National Institute of Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) in the guidelines they issued on Post Traumatic Stress Disorder in 2005.
I have a mixed heritage English/Mexican background and am able to conduct counselling in Spanish. My practice room where I offer counselling is in East Croydon very close to East Croydon Station and has a warm and welcoming feel to it providing you with a calm space in which to explore what is going on for you (see picture below). I appreciate how big a step it is to reach out to a counsellor and with that in mind I aim to offer you a session as soon as possible. If you do not receive a reply from me within 24 hours please check your spam box or call me.
I am a fully Registered Accredited Member of the BACP (British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy) and also am a recognised member of the EMDR Association UK & Ireland, UK Psychological Trauma society (UKPTS), and ISPS UK (International Society for Psychological and Social Approaches to Psychosis). Membership of these professional bodies means that I abide by strict Codes of Ethics and professional practice and keep my training/professional development up to date. You can be assured of the highest standards of discretion and confidentiality. I take equal opportunities seriously and embrace the principles of diversity and inclusivity.
I know how hard it is to make the move to see a counsellor and I will aim to see you as soon as possible. If you do not receive a reply from me within 24 hours please check your spam box or call me. *Please see my "website" for availability as I tend to be booked up*
Training, qualifications & experience
- University of West Scotland-Institute of Counselling: Certificate in CBT
- The EMDR Academy, Basic 7 day EMDR Europe Accredited Training
- Metanoia Institute, Certificate in Supervision: An Integrative Relational Approach
- University of Greenwich; MSc in Therapeutic Counselling, distinction
- London University, Goldsmiths; Cert. Humanistic & Psychodynamic Counselling
- Birkbeck College; Diploma in Applied Psychology
- Birkbeck College; Introduction to Counselling
- London University, Goldsmiths; BA (Hons) 1st Class, Spanish & Latin American Studies
I have worked in GP surgeries, schools, and private practice helping people from all walks of life with a very broad range of issues. Currently a lot of clients are coming to me with depression (low mood/feeling sad), stress, anxiety, relationship issues. I also work extensively with trauma. My research interests are cultural/bicultural identity development, multiculturalism, and also trauma & memory.
- EMDR Works::Part 4 Advanced Consultation Day
- ISPS::Psychosis & Institutional Racism
- Wimbledon Guild:Graham Music:Developmental trauma, brains and bodies
- CSTD:Robin Shohet & Joan Wilmot:Annual Supervision Conference
- PODS:Carolyn Spring:Working with dissociative disorders in clinical practice
- Wimbledon Guild:Ernesto Spinelli:Existential approach to psychotherapy
- The EMDR Academy:Matthew Wesson:EMDR Training Part III
- The EMDR Academy:Matthew Wesson:EMDR Training Part II
- Brighton Therapy Partnership:Colin Feltham, Helena Hargarden, Robin Shohet.:Clinical supervision in the 21st Century.
- Alzheimer’s Society::Data Protection 2017
- Safeguarding (adults)
- Equality, Diversity and Inclusion
- Dawn Smith Yoga:Dawn Smith:Pranayama, Gong Bath
- The EMDR Academy:Matthew Wesson:EMDR Training Part I
- Ruth Morgan:Ruth Morgan:Couple Dynamics
- ISPS::Trauma and psychosis: perspectives on psychodynamics
- South Bank University:Dr Bruce A Fernie:CBT for Metacognitions & Worry
- Talk To A Counsellor::Effective Telephone Counselling
- BACP Private \Practice Conference:Mary Morgan
- Mark Head
- Stepahnie Palin
- Emmy VanDeurzen
- :Relationships: Why do we bother?
- The Games People Play in the Therapy Room
- Sexual issues in relationship counselling
- Love and its Shadows: Existential perspectives on relationships
- University of Derby (online):Dr Simon Bignall:Understanding Autism, Asperger’s and ADHD
- Anna Freud Centre/EBPU:Miranda Wolpert:Making evidence-based practice a reality in child mental health
- Education Child Protection Ltd:Luke Brent-Savage:E-safety
- Croydon Council:Carl Parker:Anti-radicalization
- Anna Freud Centre:Peter Fonagy & Trudie Rossouw:Mentalization-based Treatment for Adolescence (MBTA-A)
- Mindways :Luke Wreford :Mindfulness half-day retreat
- Brighton Therapy Partnership:Maxine Aston:Raising:Awareness of Asperger Syndrome
- Octavo:Mike Smith:Safeguarding & Child Protection
- Luke Wreford :Mindways :Mindfulness half-day retreat
- Anna Freud Centre::Duncan Law & Kate Martin::Mental Health Master Class: Personalised Care for Youth
- Mindways:Luke Wreford:8-week Mindfulness-based Stress Reduction
- Anna Freud Centre:Duncan Law & Kate Martin:Mental Health Master Class: Personalised Care for Youth
- Greenwich University:Dr Andrew Powell:Medicine, Science & the Mind
- Tavistock:Graham Music:Child Development Research for Professionals Working with Children, Young People and Families
- Waterloo Community Counselling:Patrick Casement:Seeking a balance between knowing and not knowing in the therapeutic relationship
- Greenwich University:Dr Meg Barker:Mindful therapy: How can Buddhist ideas and practices help our work with clients?
- Tavistock:Marcus Evans:Suicide and self-harm
- Young Minds::Teens, Turmoil and Transition: Mental Health in Adolescence
- Young Minds::Resilience: ‘Ordinary Magic; and Learnable Skills
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Asperger's syndrome
- Behaviour problems
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Childhood bereavement
- Childhood bullying
- Children’s learning difficulties
- Depression and anxiety in children
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Relationship problems
- Separation and divorce
- Separation anxiety
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
- Young carers
Photos & videos
- Mission Statement: To provide affordable counselling within the community and to be a part of the community.
- I do offer a discount on all the rates below for students with financial need, key workers, and to those who would find the full fee a stretch. Please do not hesitate to mention to me that you wish to take advantage of the discount system when enquiring about my services.
Initial consultation: £45.00 – 50/60 minutes
Counselling session including assessment/initial consultation: £45.00 – 50 minutes
EMDR: £50.00 – 60 minutes
£50.00 – 60 minutes/full 1 hour
£70.00 – 90 minutes/full 1.5 hours
Fees are subject to a possible annual increase each January, though not for recently registered clients. I will give you four weeks’ notice if I intend on increasing my fees.
I have ample experience providing time-limited counselling, CBT and EMDR for Private Companies, EAPs, Insurance Companies, and Solicitors. Please contact me for a schedule of prices.
I ask that my clients pay for each session on the day, or in advance. You can pay in the following ways:
· In cash
· Bank Transfer
· By card (I have a card payment machine)
I aim to be flexible and offer you a session as soon as possible. I accept referrals from GPs and other health and social care professionals. I am also a Registered Provider and Associate Counsellor for several Employee Assistance Programmes (EAPs). Please feel free to contact me to access counselling through your EAP or pass my details on to them when contacting their dedicated helpline.
My practice is based close to East Croydon Station and Lebanon Road/Sandilands tram stops, and is on bus routes 119, 194, 198, 466. This means that I am easily accessible from South Croydon, West Croydon, South Norwood and Beckenham.
Wheelchair access may be possible as there is just one small step; please ring me whatever your access requirements so that this can be discussed.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I have had clients access my room with a wheelchair. Please call me to discuss your needs.
I aim to be flexible and work till late several evenings. Please see my website for full details.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training
My experience.View supervision profile