Ana Cox - Counsellor, EMDR Therapist & Clinical Supervisor
I provide confidential counselling in Croydon, CR0 to both adults and young people. I offer face to face sessions, telephone counselling, and video counselling via Zoom, VSee, Skype or WhatsApp. I also work as a Clinical Supervisor with qualified counsellors, student counsellors, and those in other helping professions.
I have worked in GP surgeries, schools, and private practice helping people from all walks of life with a very broad range of issues. Many of my clients come to me because their lives are being disrupted by stress, anxiety, generalised anxiety disorder (GAD), panic disorder (anxiety attacks), phobias (using EMDR), depression and relationship & family issues, and also trauma related symptoms. I will work with you integratively to enable you to work through your issues. Integrative counselling is where a counsellor is trained to work with in various ways, so I may incorporate any or a mix of the following: Person-Centred Approach, Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR), Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), Solution-Focussed, Psychodynamic, Mentalization Based Treatment (MBT), Existential, short-term, long-term, etc. We would always explore and discuss what the best approach for your issues might be together.
My research interests are cultural/bicultural identity development, multiculturalism, and also trauma & memory. I am a qualified EMDR therapist and since February 2017 have been successfully working using EMDR to work with clients experiencing trauma (both childhood trauma and adult trauma), depression, anxiety, pain, phobias and panic disorder. The use of EMDR has been recommended by the Department of Health’s National Institute of Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) in the guidelines they issued on Post Traumatic Stress Disorder in 2005.
I have a mixed heritage English/Mexican background and am able to conduct counselling in Spanish. My practice room where I offer counselling is in East Croydon very close to East Croydon Station and has a warm and welcoming feel to it providing you with a calm space in which to explore what is going on for you (see picture below). I appreciate how big a step it is to reach out to a counsellor and with that in mind I aim to offer you a session as soon as possible. If you do not receive a reply from me within 24 hours please check your spam box or call me.
I am a fully Registered Accredited Member of the BACP (British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy) and also am a recognised member of the EMDR Association UK & Ireland, UK Psychological Trauma society (UKPTS), and ISPS UK (International Society for Psychological and Social Approaches to Psychosis). Membership of these professional bodies means that I abide by strict Codes of Ethics and professional practice and keep my training/professional development up to date. You can be assured of the highest standards of discretion and confidentiality. I take equal opportunities seriously and embrace the principles of diversity and inclusivity.
I know how hard it is to make the move to see a counsellor and I will aim to see you as soon as possible. If you do not receive a reply from me within 24 hours please check your spam box or call me. *Please see my "website" for availability as I tend to be booked up*
Training, qualifications & experience
- CSTD London: Diploma in Supervision
- University of West Scotland-Institute of Counselling: Certificate in CBT & Diploma in CBT
- The EMDR Academy, Basic 7 day EMDR Europe Accredited Training
- Metanoia Institute, Certificate in Supervision: An Integrative Relational Approach
- University of Greenwich; MSc in Therapeutic Counselling, distinction
- London University, Goldsmiths; Cert. Humanistic & Psychodynamic Counselling
- London University, Birkbeck College; Diploma in Applied Psychology
- London University, Birkbeck College; Certificate in Applied Psychology
- London University, Goldsmiths; BA (Hons) 1st Class, Spanish & Latin American Studies
I have worked in GP surgeries, schools, and private practice helping people from all walks of life with a very broad range of issues. Currently a lot of clients are coming to me with depression (low mood/feeling sad), stress, anxiety, relationship issues. I also work extensively with trauma. My research interests are cultural/bicultural identity development, multiculturalism, and also trauma & memory.
Further training: I regularly update my learning as part of my continuous professional development, these are the trainings and workshops I have attended in the last two years.
- Philip Manfield: Memory Reconsolidation, the Flash Technique & EMDR
- Trauma Response Network: EMDR online
- Matthew Wesson & Naomi Fisher: EMDR online
- EMDR South Central: Simon Proudlock; Sanja Oakley: Working with Addictions and Suicidality using EMDR
- ISPS: Children, Young People: Beyond Early Intervention
- The Tai Chi Space: Paul Cavel: Taoist Breathing and Qi Gong
- EMDR Academy: Susan Darker-Smith: EMDR Training Child Accredited Training
- Piece by Piece Recovery: Rochelle Craig: Understanding anorexia and bulimia
- EMDR Works: Part 4 Advanced Consultation Day
- ISPS: Psychosis & Institutional Racism
- Alzheimer’s Society: Adult safeguarding, Children safeguarding
- SOSI: Peter Levine: Refugees & War Trauma
- Wimbledon Guild: Graham Music: Developmental trauma, brains and bodies
- CSTD: Robin Shohet & Joan Wilmot: Annual Supervision Conference
- PODS: Carolyn Spring: Working with dissociative disorders in clinical practice
- Wimbledon Guild: Ernesto Spinelli: Existential approach to psychotherapy
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Mission Statement: Passionate about mental wellbeing.
- I do offer a discount on all the rates below to key workers, and to those who would find the full fee a stretch. Please do not hesitate to mention to me that you wish to take advantage of the discount system when enquiring about my services.
Counselling session including assessment/initial consultation: £50.00 – 50/60 minutes
EMDR: £70.00 – 50/60 minutes
£50.00 – 60 minutes/full 1 hour
£75.00 – 90 minutes/full 1.5 hours
Fees are subject to a possible annual increase each January, though not for recently registered clients. I will give you four weeks’ notice if I intend on increasing my fees.
I have ample experience providing time-limited counselling, CBT and EMDR for Private Companies, EAPs, Insurance Companies, and Solicitors. Please contact me for a schedule of prices.
I ask that my clients pay for each session on the day, or in advance. You can pay in the following ways:
· In cash
· Bank Transfer
· By card (I have a card payment machine)
Concessions offered for
I aim to be flexible and offer you a session as soon as possible. I accept referrals from GPs and other health and social care professionals.
My practice is based close to East Croydon Station and Lebanon Road/Sandilands tram stops, and is on bus routes 119, 194, 198, 466. This means that I am easily accessible from South Croydon, West Croydon, South Norwood and Beckenham.
Wheelchair access may be possible as there is just one small step; please ring me whatever your access requirements so that this can be discussed.