Dr Amanda-Jane Wood, Chartered Psychologist
Hello, I am Amanda-Jane and am an experienced counselling psychologist. I am non-judgemental and have an empathic and understanding outlook to your concerns and problems. I perceive each individual in his/her own right and accept different cultural values and ethnic backgrounds and always attempt to understand the situation. I work to maintain the highest standard of care in accordance with the BPS and Health Care Professions Council ethical and professional code of conduct
I work with adults and young people aged 16 years and above. I have experience working within a wide range of clinical severity in adult mental health including the acute in-patient setting, NHS, voluntary organisations, domestic violence agency, occupational health and Military and Veteran mental health.
I work as an integrative psychologist and draw upon therapeutic models according to your individual need including psychodynamic, cognitive behavioural therapy, trauma-focused cognitive behavioural therapy, EMDR and hypnotherapy, mindfulness and motivational interviewing.
I have a wealth of experience and knowledge dealing with psychological trauma arising from childhood trauma (physical, sexual and emotional/neglect), road traffic accidents, traumatic pregnancy and birth, accidents within the workplace, sudden death by suicide, combat-related Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder and, transitioning from Military to Civilian life.
I am an Accredited EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitisation Reprocessing) practitioner. EMDR is an evidence-based model of treatment for trauma and can also be used for other issues including Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), anxiety/panic, pain, phobias, complicated grief, self-esteem and performance enhancement. I also have a certificate in cognitive behavioural hypnotherapy, approved by the British Psychology Society. I use hypnotherapy as a form of relaxation within my client work for conditions and problems as: from anxiety disorders, anger management, addictions, performance enhancement, exam stress and irritable bowel syndrome
I offer short and long-term therapy dependent upon your individual need. This will be discussed and agreed at your assessment session. Where appropriate I utilise mindfulness and also creative therapy (painting, drawing, sand tray).
Please feel free to email me on email@example.com or call me on 07525919952 to book an assessment and discuss your needs and therapy.
Training, qualifications & experience
My experience includes assessment and therapeutic intervention for a wide range of problems and enduring mental health conditions. I have worked within Military Mental Health and with Veterans and their families. I have an awareness of the stigmas, culture and values within the Military population and how this differs from working with civilians.
I have worked within a domestic violence agency dealing with women with the following problems: childhood trauma, sexual abuse, anxiety/panic, low self-esteem, PTSD, loss and bereavement, eating and personality disorders. I have also worked within acute, specialist NHS services and in Occupational Health within a large industrial company.
Prior to my work as a psychologist, I worked as a qualified nurse both in the UK and abroad. I have many years of experience in working with individuals suffering from chronic, long term illness like cancer and renal failure. I was employed as a qualified Clinical Nurse Specialist for breast cancer providing psychological support for women of all ages coming to terms with a diagnosis of breast cancer, treatment and beyond.
My qualifications are:
- Doctorate in Counselling Psychology
- Post-graduate Diploma in Psychology
- FDA in Counselling
- Accredited EMDR Practitioner*
- Certificate in Cognitive Behavioural Hypnotherapy
- British Psychology Society (BPS) Approved Certificate in Clinical Supervision
- Diploma in Breast Care Nursing
- Diploma in Professional Nurse Studies
- Diploma in Renal Nursing
- Registered General Nurse
- MA in German
*( An Accredited EMDR Practitioner means that a therapist has achieved the standard set of requirements of their member organisation. This means they have provided therapy for a minimum number of hours and provided proof of competency )
- Eye Movement Desensitisation Therapy Accredited Training(EMDR parts 1-4)
- BPS Expert Witness training Part 1,2, 3 and 4
- Trauma-focused Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
- Motivational Interviewing
- Attachment Focussed Eye Movement Desensitisation Reprocessing therapy(AF-EMDR) trained with Dr Laurel Parnell
- A Chartered Psychologist with the British Psychology Society (BPS)
- A registered practitioner psychologist with the Health Care & Professions Council (HCPC)
- A member of the British Association for Counsellors and Psychotherapist (BACP)
- A member of the American Psychological Association (APA)
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Depression and anxiety in children
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic attacks
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Schizoid personality disorder
- Schizotypal personality disorder
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Separation anxiety
- Sex addiction
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Work-related stress
Fees at Park View, Middlesbrough:
- The initial assessment is £75 per hour.
- This provides you with an opportunity to discuss your problems and decide whether you wish to go ahead with therapy.
- Further sessions cost £75.00 per hour.
- Clinical Supervision is 60 minutes and costs £50 per session
- I offer reduced rates for trainee psychologists/student counsellors requiring personal development. Please ring and enquire.
Fees at The Grove Clinic, London, W1G 9SH
- Fees £150.00 for 50 minutes.
- Dependent upon the time of day, I do offer some reduced rates. Please ring to enquire.
Fees are different if you are paying via medical/health insurance, please contact me for more details.
I am an approved provider with the following insurance companies:
Aviva, Allianz, Cigna, Vitality, BUPA, Axa PPP, Aetna International and WPA
I offer home visits where appropriate for individual clients. Additional charges may apply for home visits. Please ring or email me for further details on:
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
|Other languages:||Bi-lingual German, French|
Parkview Medical Clinic: Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday from 09.30 until 20.00hrs The Grove Clinic Thursday 18 until 21 hours Friday 08.00 until 17.00
Types of client