Alison Speakman M.Sc, M.A. MBACP
Hello and welcome to my profile. I am an experienced counsellor and a registered member of the BACP. I believe I am warm, friendly and relaxed in my approach and offer a comfortable, confidential space for you to share your experiences.
I work with adults, older adults, organisations and 'Employee Assistance Programmes'. Although my background is working therapeutically with people who may be experiencing a wide range of psychological difficulties and emotional distress, my counselling practice focuses on working with people who:
- are having work-related difficulties; for example, bullying, with Human Resources processes or work related stress
- have had contact with mental health services
- are caring for people with life limiting conditions
What happens next?
if you are having difficulties in your life and feel you would like some support to move forward or if you are unsure if counselling may help, please contact me. To help you decide we can arrange to meet for a no obligation discussion of up to 30 minutes, where we can discuss what you would like to gain from counselling and to see if I can offer you the help you need. We can also see if we feel comfortable with each other.
Training, qualifications & experience
Prior to becoming a counsellor, I initially trained to be a nurse and I have substantial experience working in NHS mental health services, working in acute mental health Services and crisis intervention, also working with people who are experiencing severe and enduring mental health conditions. Since 2012, I have practiced as a counsellor in the third sector; in drug and alcohol residential rehabilitation services and a generic third sector counselling practice.
PG Cert in Person Centred Counselling and Psychotherapy
Post-Graduate Diploma in Counselling and Psychotherapy M.Sc Mindfulness Studies B.Sc (Hons) Psychology Advanced Certificate in Cognitive Behaviour Interventions for Anxiety and Depression
PG Cert in Clinical Supervision PG Cert in Education (post-compulsory) MA in Human Resource Management Registered General Nurse; Registered Mental Nurse
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Bipolar disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Panic disorder
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
- Human Resource and work related issues
- Infant loss
I offer a free 30 minute assessment appointment.
Individual Sessions are £40 per session.
Concessions are available for those on a reduced income and counselling students, please ask for details.
- I am a registered member of the BACP and abide by the BACP ethical framework
- I hold an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS formerly CRB) certificate
- I hold professional insurance
- I am registered with the Information Commissioner's Office for purposes of General Data Protection Regulations.
- My work is fully supervised as required by the insurance body and the BACP
- Please note, my office is on the first floor and unfortunately there is no lift. If this is a problem I can offer an alternative location, please ask for further details.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|