Alison Marley, Counsellor & Psychotherapist
Hello and welcome
You may be reading this if you're struggling with difficult feelings or experiences. At a time when you might be feeling lost and nothing seems clear, counselling offers you a safe space and time to feel really listened to, understood and accepted. My role is to be alongside you throughout your therapy so that you know you're not alone during your journey of discovery and change.
Research has shown that therapy works best when the relationship between counsellor and client is strong, so it's important to find the right therapist for you. The best way to learn more about me and my approach is to visit my website (link above) but in this profile I aim to show you who I am as a person and as a therapist so you can see if I might be a good fit for you.
Now in my mid-40s, I bring knowledge and experience from a rich life and past careers in the media, charity sector, business and the NHS. I draw from these as a therapist but as a professional I ensure that your therapy is focussed on you. You can read more about my qualifications and clinical experience below.
As an 'integrative' therapist, I combine tools from a number of therapies (e.g. Transactional Analysis, CBT, Gestalt, person-centred counselling, creative therapies, neuroscience and psychotherapy). This allows me to work flexibly and creatively in helping you to gain a deeper understanding of the issues you are facing so you can find your way forward.
No two people are the same so I provide therapy that is tailored to you as an individual and which is built around a supportive and non-judgmental relationship. Clients describe me as a warm and empathic counsellor who is helpful both for people seeking counselling for the first time and those who have had counselling in the past.
One of the benefits of private therapy is that you can access it quickly and continue for as long as you wish/need. Some people have therapy for weeks, others for months or years - each person's process is unique and you determine the goals and the timescales.
If you’d like to talk to me before you book a session or if you’d like to discuss your issues and how I might be able to help you, I offer an initial phone conversation of up to 15 minutes at no charge. If I'm unavailable when you call please do leave a message or send a text so I know it’s OK for me to call you back. I'm also happy to answer queries by email, through this profile or via my website.
I look forward to working with you.
With warm wishes
Training, qualifications & experience
I am a fully-qualified, registered and accredited counsellor and psychotherapist:
- Post-graduate Diploma in Psychotherapy with distinction (equivalent to Level 7)
- Diploma in Integrative Psychotherapy with distinction (equivalent to Level 6)
- Diploma in Psychotherapeutic Counselling with distinction (equivalent to Level 6)
I undertook my training at the Northern Guild of Psychotherapy in Newcastle, which has been training counsellors and psychotherapists for over 25 years and is renowned for its in-depth and rigorous training programmes. The qualifications I hold are accredited by the UKCP and the BACP.
- Registered member of the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP).
- Accredited by the UK Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP). Only therapists who meet the UKCP's exacting standards, training requirements and continued professional development can be on their register. It is a hallmark for the highest professional standards.
I have extensive experience within a variety of roles:
- NHS primary care
- Rape Crisis - a national charity working with survivors of sexual violence, including rape and childhood sexual abuse
- Higher Education - providing short-term therapy to university students
- Working successfully in private practice
I’ve worked with a wide variety of people: both men, women and people who identify in other ways, ranging in age from 18 to 80, each with diverse backgrounds and life experiences.
I have worked with clients to overcome a broad range of issues including:
- anxiety, panic, worry
- depression, persistent/pervasive sadness, low mood
- relationship difficulties and family problems, including affairs and divorce
- survivors of abusive relationships
- bereavement and loss
- issues at work, stress, redundancy
- issues that students and young people face (e.g. anxiety, stress, homesickness, relationships/friends, self-esteem, life and career worries)
- ‘time of life’ issues (e.g. retirement, ’empty nest’, ageing)
- low self-esteem
- guilt, anger, fear
- disordered eating
- trauma, PTS/PTSD
- sexual violence, rape and childhood sexual abuse
I provide solution-focused brief therapy, short-term counselling or longer-term depth psychotherapy, according to your needs and wishes.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anger management
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Health anxiety
- Hearing voices
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
I have a particular interest in supporting women with low-self esteem or lack of confidence.
Photos & videos
Sessions last for 50 minutes. My charges for sessions are:
- Daytime between 10am and 4pm - £50 per session
- Early morning (before 10am) or evening (from 5pm) - £60 per session
I accept payment by cash, card or Apple/Android Pay at the beginning of each session or by online bank transfer prior to each session.
I also accept referrals from agencies such as Employee Assistance Programmes or employers and I am happy to invoice for sessions provided. Please let me know if you'd like to discuss this.
My comfortable and discreet consulting room is in the leafy suburb of Jesmond, just outside Newcastle upon Tyne.
Free on-street parking is available nearby and my practice is a short walk from a nearby Metro station. When you book your first appointment I will provide you with the full address and a map with directions.
The building isn’t fully accessible but if you have mobility considerations please do let me know and we can discuss options.
If you're interested in having some counselling but can’t make it to my clinic or if you live further afield, work abroad, travel frequently or have a busy schedule, I can help you conveniently and effectively via online counselling. Please see my website for further information.
Therapy Room Hire
My therapy room can be rented by accredited counsellors/psychotherapists.
If you're looking for a conveniently located and fully equipped therapy room for your private practice, you can find further details on my website: https://thirdspacecounselling.co.uk/how-we-can-help-you/room-hire/.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|