Alison Marley, Counsellor & Psychotherapist
Hello and welcome
Are you struggling with feelings or experiences that are having an impact on your life? Are you feeling anxious, stressed, unhappy or depressed? Or perhaps you’re having difficulties in relationships or are grieving the loss of a loved one?
I am a fully qualified and experienced counsellor and psychotherapist who can help you through life’s difficult times.
I have had a wide clinical experience including roles in in the NHS, student support services and with survivors of sexual violence, as well as working successfully in private practice. I have helped clients overcome a range of issues including anxiety and panic disorders, depression, grief/loss, relationship issues, trauma, stress and low self-esteem. Some people come to therapy with a specific issue they want to work through; others may be feeling unhappy or in distress but not know exactly why.
One of the benefits of private therapy is that you can access it quickly and continue for as long as you wish/need. Some people choose to have therapy for a few weeks, others for months or years – as the client seeking my professional support, you can determine your goals and timescales.
I offer you a safe space and time to feel really listened to, understood and accepted, and I provide therapy within a supportive and non-judgmental relationship. Clients describe me as a warm and empathic counsellor who is helpful both for people seeking counselling for the first time and those who have had counselling in the past.
I believe that each person is unique and that there isn’t a ‘formula’ or ‘one size fits all’ approach that works for everyone. As an integrative therapist I combine tools from a number of therapies to tailor your therapy to you and to the issues you want to work on. This means I can work flexibly and creatively in helping you to gain a deeper understanding of the issues you are facing so you can find your way forward.
Research has shown that therapy is most effective when the client and counsellor have a strong relationship, so it's important to find a therapist you feel comfortable with. If you’d like to learn more about me you can read more on my website (link above). If you'd like to talk to me before making a decision, I would be happy to arrange a short phone call at no charge and/or to answer any questions you may have by email. You can contact me by email through this profile or via my website or by phone/text on the number above.
I also offer online booking so you can schedule and manage appointments easily and conveniently (see my website to find out more).
I look forward to working with you.
Training, qualifications & experience
I am a fully-qualified, registered and accredited counsellor and psychotherapist:
- Post-graduate Diploma in Psychotherapy with distinction (equivalent to Level 7)
- Diploma in Integrative Psychotherapy with distinction (equivalent to Level 6)
- Diploma in Psychotherapeutic Counselling with distinction (equivalent to Level 6)
I undertook my training at the Northern Guild of Psychotherapy in Newcastle, which has been training counsellors and psychotherapists for over 25 years and is renowned for its in-depth and rigorous training programmes. The qualifications I hold are accredited by the UKCP and the BACP.
- Registered member of the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP).
- Accredited by the UK Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP). Only therapists who meet the UKCP's exacting standards, training requirements and continued professional development can be on their register. It is a hallmark for the highest professional standards.
I have extensive experience within a variety of roles:
- NHS primary care
- Rape Crisis - a national charity working with survivors of sexual violence, including rape and childhood sexual abuse
- Higher Education - providing short-term therapy to university students
- Working successfully in private practice
I’ve worked with a wide variety of people: both men, women and people who identify in other ways, ranging in age from 18 to 80, each with diverse backgrounds and life experiences.
I have worked with clients to overcome a broad range of issues including:
- anxiety, panic, worry
- depression, persistent/pervasive sadness, low mood
- relationship difficulties and family problems, including affairs and divorce
- survivors of abusive relationships
- bereavement and loss
- issues at work, stress, redundancy
- issues that students and young people face (e.g. anxiety, stress, homesickness, relationships/friends, self-esteem, life and career worries)
- ‘time of life’ issues (e.g. retirement, ’empty nest’, ageing)
- low self-esteem
- guilt, anger, fear
- disordered eating
- trauma, PTS/PTSD
- sexual violence, rape and childhood sexual abuse
I provide solution-focused brief therapy, short-term counselling or longer-term depth psychotherapy, according to your needs and wishes.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anger management
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Health anxiety
- Hearing voices
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic attacks
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
I have a particular interest in supporting women with low-self esteem or lack of confidence.
Photos & videos
Sessions last for 50 minutes. My charges for sessions are:
- Daytime between 10am and 4pm - £50 per session
- Early morning (before 10am) or evening (from 5pm) - £60 per session
I accept payment by cash, card or Apple/Android Pay at the beginning of each session or by online bank transfer prior to each session.
I also accept referrals from agencies such as Employee Assistance Programmes or employers and I am happy to invoice for sessions provided. Please let me know if you'd like to discuss this.
My comfortable and discreet consulting room is in the leafy suburb of Jesmond, just outside Newcastle upon Tyne.
Free on-street parking is available nearby and my practice is a short walk from a nearby Metro station. When you book your first appointment I will provide you with the full address and a map with directions.
The building isn’t fully accessible but if you have mobility considerations please do let me know and we can discuss options.
If you're interested in having some counselling but can’t make it to my clinic or if you live further afield, work abroad, travel frequently or have a busy schedule, I can help you conveniently and effectively via online counselling. Please see my website for further information.
Therapy Room Hire
My therapy room can be rented by accredited counsellors/psychotherapists.
If you're looking for a conveniently located and fully equipped therapy room for your private practice, you can find further details on my website: https://thirdspacecounselling.co.uk/how-we-can-help-you/room-hire/.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
My consulting room is on the first floor. If you have access requirements please let me know and we can discuss options.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|