Alison Hawtin Art Therapist - PGDipAT, BA(Hons) HCPC & BAAT Reg.
I am a highly experienced Art Therapist/Psychotherapist passionate about the benefits of Art Therapy and therapeutic arts as a way to help empower you toward self-understanding, emotional expression, resilience building and moving forward in your life.
My working style is honest, empathic, art-centred and informed by Buddhist philosophy, mindfulness and meditation practices.
*It is illegal to practice as an Art Therapist in the UK without full HCPC registration. You can check me on the website www.hcpc.org.uk & my registration number is AS00159.
Who have I worked with?
- People experiencing mild to extremely severe mental, emotional, physical and spiritual distress, feeling lost and bewildered
- Those seeking alternatives to talking therapies
- People in hospitals, units, residential homes, schools/colleges, day services and via local communities teams
- Anyone experiencing general malaise, unhappiness, loss of vitality and motivation
- Bereavement, loss and life transitions
- Those with the labels of learning and/or complex disabilities.
- Mental ill-health (acute and chronic)
- Autistic spectrum conditions
- Elderly/dementia and palliative care
- Forensics and probation
- Eating disorders
- Borderline personality disorders
- Severe anxiety
- Palliative care
Ultimately I see you for YOU and together we work toward your happier state of mind, emotion and life.
I am a fully insured and DBS certified mobile Art therapist, arranging venues, days and styles of art therapy that suit you and your needs. I work from Peterborough, Huntingdon, Cambridge(shire) and Ulverston/Barrow/Kendal in Cumbria. We meet usually weekly for one hour. The design can be either short or longer term. All of this will be discussed in our first consultation and any amendments can happen as we discuss and get to know each other in therapy.
I offer a free phone consultation where you can ask any questions you want. This is where we decide whether to do a trial session together. Then further sessions can be arranged, or other therapeutic avenues can be explored. You can leave it and come back again in the future - the decision is yours and I will always support you to do what is best for you. I can advise on other therapies and if appropriate recommend other therapists. I can Co-Work with Teams, professionals and family members, provide reports and/or attend meetings as required.
I also offer clinical supervision, bespoke training, lectures and workshops.
Training, qualifications & experience
- PostGraduate Diploma in Art Therapy (University of Herts 1994)
- BA(Hons) Art & Social Context - 2:1 (University of Plymouth 1992)
- Diploma of Higher Education: Art & Primary Education Studies - Distinction (Nene College, Northants)
- Basic nursing care: (Bedford School of Nursing)
- Brief Solution-focused Therapy 60 credits (Anglia Ruskin University)
- Counselling skills and Counselling Theory (Relate)
Others of relevance: (1-5 days, UKbased) Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, Metallisation, Body Psychotherapy, Family work, Dissociative Identity Disorder, Autism, LD & MH, Animation in AT, Trauma-informed Expressive Arts Therapies (USA), Research skills, Supervision and many others.
I worked primarily in NHS adult services as a Senior Art Therapist for 17 years until 2015. Here I designed and implemented group and individual Art Therapy Services for adults with Learning disabilities and mental health issues as a member of a multi-professional community team and a specialist acute in-patient ward.
Prior to this I worked in education, care and voluntary services in adult and childrens LD and Mental Health settings in various capacities including as art therapist, artist, health care worker, social care support worker, volunteer and teacher. Since (and part time before) 2015 I worked fully in freelance community arts and private Art Therapy practice with adults, children and young people individually and in groups.
I am a practising artist and creative writer, my most recent exhibition was at Peterborough Museum Open 2016 and Peterborough Open Art Studios 2016
I also work as a clinical supervisor to other Arts Therapists and counsellors/therapists, based in offices in Cambridge, Peterborough, Ulverston or internationally via Skype. I have lectured on various Art & Music Therapy MA courses, offered brief training courses in AT, presented at National & International Conferences, (on LD, AT, & more recently on Reflective Practices and working In Museums & Galleries) and I recently trained in Painting and Gilding Buddhist Statues in Cumbria. I am a published researcher and clinician who loves to think creatively, problem solve for the best benefit of the person/organisation and collaborate with others including individuals, professionals and arts providers.
2006 Inscape:International Journal of Art Therapy - co-authored article on research with people with LD
2012 Authored Article 'In the Therapy room' Disability Magazine
2015 Co-authored chapter in the book Art Therapy with Physical Conditions 'Life, Loss & Labels: Art Therapy with Clients with Learning Disabilities and Terminal Physical Illness (JKP)
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anger management
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Attachment disorder in children
- Behaviour problems
- Bipolar disorder/Manic depression
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Childhood bereavement
- Childhood bullying
- Children’s learning difficulties
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Depression and anxiety in children
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship issues
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation anxiety
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Tourette's syndrome
- Work-related stress
- Young carers
Photos & videos
My basic fee is £55 per hour but this will be assessed individually - any decrease/increase will depend on the need, venue and travel needed. If you book and pay for a set of four sessions a discount of £5 per session can be offered. The fee covers all therapy, art materials and venue hire (unless otherwise agreed).
Do get in touch regarding other provisions and see T&C's and Fees on my website.
- NO art skills are needed to do art therapy, just a willingness to try.
- It is not about good or bad art.
- I will not be judging you or teaching you how to be an artist.
- I will be offering you the opportunity to use creation/art/play to get to know yourself, others and the wider world.
- It is a confidential, boundaried, therapeutic relationship between you, me and the art.
- What you make stays in art therapy until it ends, when you decide whether you want to keep it or not.
- Exhibition is not an aspect of art therapy unless this is a goal we decide at the start, for you.
ART THERAPY is applicable for anyone - those who simply feel lost, directionless or unhappy and want to explore themselves & their inner worlds; right through to those experiencing extreme difficulties, perhaps in need of specialist or support services, with complex needs, behavioural distress and serious mental health issues.
ART THERAPY in nature, is adaptable and responsive to each person's needs, abilities and wants and as such, helps you feel accepted for who and where you are RIGHT NOW. I have the experience and skills to work with you.
You can visit www.baat.org.uk for further general information about Art Therapy in the UK
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
|Other languages:||basic romanian|
I work between Peterborough and Cumbria. Availability is very flexible, Mon-Sun, days and eves, so do get in touch and we will see what we can do.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training
I have been offering supervision for many years to students, trainees, arts therapists, other counsellors, therapists and varied health and social care professionals.View supervision profile