Alice Cook - UKCP Psychotherapist and Counsellor, EMDR
Alice Cook Integrative Counsellor and Psychotherapist, Supervisor and EMDR Practitioner
I am a UKCP registered Psychotherapist, Counsellor and EMDR therapist in Stroud offering counselling and psychotherapy to individuals and supervision to practitioners. I also offer therapeutic writing sessions.
My experience is gained over 20 years of working as a therapist in private practice, the NHS, voluntary sector, education and abroad. I have worked with people who suffer from depression, anxiety, trauma, disconnection, bereavement, issues of difference, loss and relationship difficulties. My specialisms are working with trauma in creative ways including EMDR, postnatal depression and therapeutic writing.
I provide a safe, confidential, ethical and non-judgemental space for you to explore what is important to you in a down to earth and accessible way. The way I work is flexible, creative and collaborative.
Counselling is a two way process, built on a partnership between two active participants. As an integrative counsellor and psychotherapist I draw from several different approaches and can adapt how we work together to best suit your needs. Clarity is important for you to feel comfortable and to know that you and your needs are in focus. We will actively discuss the model which might best meet your needs.
Counselling and Psychotherapy
Underlying all counselling and psychotherapy is your sense of being deeply listened to and heard, whatever you want to bring and say, within the trusting relationship that develops between you and your counsellor.
From that basis of trust, an integrative approach acknowledges that everyone is different and that counselling needs to reflect this.
Together we will identify the form of therapy which you feel most comfortable with and the time frame which is going to work for you. You may have a current issue that troubles you or it may be that you are looking to unravel long term patterns more deeply over a longer period of time. We will discuss a strategy and agree a schedule to review progress towards your goals.
As we start to work together, different issues and questions may arise. We will focus on what is most pressing for you and which style of working feels right to you. I will give you feedback and thoughts as we progress and will encourage you to do the same, so you are in control of the process.
I offer short term counselling and longer term psychotherapy, and specialise in working with trauma, dissociation and loss using several approaches including EMDR, visualization and creative work.
I offer several different therapies to individuals including:
- EMDR and specialist trauma work. This can mean either trauma from a recent incident or experiences in childhood and early life.
- Exploration of personal issues in long term psychotherapy
- Short term positive and focused counselling and therapy using practical and problem solving approaches but also the opportunity for you to explore your own story – at length and in depth – in the context of a therapeutic relationship
- Energy techniques to develop and enhance a sense of strength, confidence and inner resources
- Exploring creativity and blocks especially using writing
- Particular experience of working with women around pregnancy, the loss of a baby, childbirth and post-natal issues. I have worked for many years in women’s mental health services with very vulnerable women who may have experienced violence or child abuse and where a sense of safety is paramount.
- I am familiar with NHS services and working with people who have a range of physical and psychological difficulties, including mental health conditions and chronic illness.
Training, qualifications & experience
I am registered with UKCP as an Integrative Psychotherapist and work to UKCP ethical standards.
I have training and experience in Integrative Psychotherapy, EMDR, Solution Focused Therapy, therapeutic work with images and stories and Supervision. Integrating these different approaches means that I will tailor our approach to suit your needs and always discuss with you how we might best work together.
- Minster Centre Diploma in Integrative Psychotherapy
- UKCP Registration since 2001
- Diploma in Psychodynamic Supervision
- MA Creative Writing
- Nurse and health visitor
- BA Hons in Literature
My work is fully insured and supervised.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
£55 per one hour session
EMDR sessions can sometimes be 1.5 hours to allow enough time. We would discuss this possibility at the first session if you are interested in EMDR.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training
I have a Diploma in Counselling Supervision and have worked as a supervisor for 15 years.