Adam Knowles, AdvDip Existential Psych, UKCP/MBACP
If you're struggling with something and considering psychotherapy, I'm here for you.
Every client deserves a fresh approach. You are the expert on your own life, yet we can all benefit from a skilled perspective on recent or longer-term difficulties. Working in open-ended contracts, I am creative, confident and dedicated to my work. I have seen the power of careful listening with presence and compassion to bring about real, meaningful change.
Prior to my training, I enjoyed a 20+ year career creating and leading teams in technology. For a time I was Chair of LGBT Humanists, campaigning for social change.
If you'd like an initial conversation or to arrange a meeting, please get in touch.
I have experience working with a wide variety of problems, including:
- Anxiety and Generalised Anxiety Disorder
- Low confidence and self-esteem
- Relationship issues including affairs and betrayal, separation and divorce
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Addiction (including sex, gambling, hoarding, alcohol, drugs and chemsex)
- Trauma and PTSD
- Bereavement, grief and loss
- Anger management and expression
- Emotional and sexual abuse
- Problems relating to your gender identity or gender dysmorphia
- Spiritual crises, existential issues and meaning
That said, a defining characteristic is an open but critical attitude toward categories and diagnoses in favour of investigating your experience free from preconceptions, in pursuit of new possibilities.
How to get started
I realise coming to therapy can be a big decision and daunting at times: I aim to make it straightforward. I'm happy to answer questions by email or arrange a call or Skype without charge.
If you wish to proceed, I'll propose a time to meet. I'll follow up with a proposed agreement outlining obligations for us both, with a focus on protecting you and the work. We then meet for an initial session, outlined below. If you wish to continue I reserve your slot and we meet in an open-ended agreement. You are free to leave at any time, though it is better to plan the ending if possible.
The initial session
Initial appointments are full, paid 50-minute sessions so that you get a clear idea of what I offer. My priority is to listen carefully to you and address your concerns directly. I'm also happy to say something about myself and how I work. If you wish to proceed, we can meet weekly at the same time in a slot reserved for you.
Please don't hesitate to contact me with any questions, large or small.
Training, qualifications & experience
I trained at Regent's School of Psychology and Psychotherapy, London. This combines psychodynamic and integrative schools with a distinct existential edge, which is to say a philosophical enquiry as to what life is all about. This is a non-pathologising approach about discovering practical wisdom for yourself, about yourself, as discovered in meeting.
I am UKCP registered and a member (MBACP) of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy and adhere to its code of ethics and complaints procedures.
I am committed to Continuing Professional Development (CPD) and regular supervision of my practice. I maintain professional indemnity insurance.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Career counselling
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Drug addiction
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Relationship problems
- Schizoid personality disorder
- Schizotypal personality disorder
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex addiction
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Photos & videos
I offer 50-minute sessions for individual adults at a fee of £70.
I maintain a few slots at a reduced rate: these are likely to be full, but please enquire for details.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Mon: Stoke Newington Thu: Old Street Wed/Fri: London Bridge
Types of client