Richard Oliver - UKCP Accredited
What to Expect
I am an experienced counsellor having seen people for individual sessions for many years (since 2006). If we go ahead, our sessions will be held regularly at the same time (for stability). Please expect us to work in a comfortable and private room to help you understand what is happening in your life.
Who I Work With
I concentrate on helping adults who are experiencing any mental issue. I have worked with well-known conditions such as anxiety, depression, eating disorders, self-harm, and anger management. I note that a common theme that people bring is difficulties with relationships and I am accustomed to working with this. I also work with issues that start by being vague such as not knowing where I am going in life.
Examples of My Work
* I spend time building up self-esteem with my clients. They may come to me with any of the following which they have been using to cope: over-eating, over-drinking, over-thinking or working too hard.
* I frequently work with how my clients relate to others in their lives including neighbours, workmates, and friends or family. We practise different ways of expressing ourselves and the results are surprising.
* A common topic is protecting ourselves from those who are dismissive of us. I develop a fine balance in my clients neither withdrawing from encounters nor becoming aggressive. They develop being appropriately assertive.
Training, qualifications & experience
I am UKCP accredited (my reg no is 6158334) and I have 13 years of post-qualification experience since I qualified in 2006.
Training in Oxford
I attended training at the Oxford School of Psychodrama and Integrative Psychotherapy. My trainers were Peter Haworth and Susie Taylor who are well-known and respected. I started training in 1998 and most of it was completed by 2003. I still had to run a weekly group in the NHS and write my dissertation ... these were achieved by 2006.
My training involved facilitating a weekly group with real patients to prove that I could professionally handle the issues that arise. I held an honorary contract for 3 years at a London hospital psychotherapy department (Mile End Hospital) where I ran a weekly group for out-patients. This included assessing patients as well as facilitating the group of 5-6 members with depression and anxiety.
Accreditation with UKCP
To help the public know who they can trust, UKCP set high standards for psychotherapists to be trained and experienced. They give their seal of approval to those who meet their standards. I received my UKCP registration (approval) in 2006.
From 2006 onwards, I have practised both individual work and group work. Many people have benefited from my individual sessions after attending them for weeks or months according to what they need. Similarly, many people have attended my London group at Mind in Camden (it started in 2009) and now I work in Diss (South Norfolk).
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Dependent personality disorder
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Relationship problems
- Schizoid personality disorder
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
My rates are as follows:
Individual weekly sessions of 55 minutes cost £46.
Cancellations: I understand that you may need to cancel an appointment eg for holidays, I do not charge for cancelled sessions if I am given a week's notice. I charge the full fee for cancellations within 24 hours. In between a week and 24 hours, we agree a fee that is fair.
Social Skills practice on Monday evenings costs £10 per session and expect to attend weekly.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Both premises in Diss are on the ground floor and have their own parking space for several vehicles
I have daytime slots Monday-Friday and evening slots on Tuesdays Wednesdays Thursdays for people after work
Types of client