Arike (aka Stan Grant) BACP
What follows is some information about my expertise and my areas of interest, to help you to decide if we could work together.
As a counselor, I aim to create a safe, supportive space in which clients can:
- Work towards achieving their full potential. I do this by offering a range of approaches and techniques, including the use of creativity to explore emotions and to help clarify issues.
- Increase their awareness of the strengths they derive from identities they carry, as well as explore the impact of any mistreatment they may have received as a result of those identities.
- Identify and release painful emotions, in order to develop their ability to respond to new situations with flexible thinking, unfettered by past painful experiences.
Whilst I have a diverse client group, I will consider working with anyone, I also have a particular focus on -
- YOUNG PEOPLE
- PEOPLE TARGETTED BY RACISM
- THOSE AFFECTED BY VIOLENCE
- PEOPLE IN INTERCULTURAL /INTER-RACIAL RELATIONSHIPS
Training, qualifications & experience
I have extensive and diverse experience of supporting people to empower themselves - as a youth worker, teacher, college tutor, group facilitator, trainer, coach and supervisor. I gained a formal Diploma in counselling in 1989 and have had a counseling practice ever since.
Reflecting my interest in supporting Black men, I have counselled men, individually and in groups, at the Afro Caribbean Mental Health Association in Brixton, at Broadmoor Hospital and at Tudor Views, Birmingham, a rehabilitation hostel for ex-offenders.
I have worked as a visiting tutor, group facilitator, personal development group facilitator and supervisor on counselling courses at Lewisham College. I was a course facilitator for the FACETS counselling courses at City University. At London Metropolitan University, I have worked as a Personal Development group supervisor for Postgraduate counselling students, as a visiting tutor for the entry level counselling courses, as well as supervising Student Support Services staff. Since 2006 I have acted as an external supervisor and CPD course facilitator for Lewisham Counselling and Counsellor Training Associates.
Certificate in Personal Performance Coaching The Coaching Academy 2008
Postgraduate Diploma in Forensic Mental Health St Georges Hospital Medical School 2002
MA Applied Psychoanalytic Theory Goldsmiths College, University of London 1998
Diploma in Counselling & Supervision Roehampton Institute 1989
PGCE (Art & Design) Middlesex Polytechnic 1986
BA (Hons) Contemporary Cultural Studies Middlesex Polytechnic 1984
Certificate in Youth & Community Work Avery Hill College 1981
MA Art Psychotherapy Goldsmiths College, University of London 2008 - to date
Diploma in Personal Performance Coaching - The Coaching Academy 2008 - to date
Certificate in CBT Compared to PCA - Pam Nell Associates 2005
Existential Counselling Compared to PCA - Pam Nell Associates 2005
The Sacred Art of Clowning - Didier Danthois 1994 - 97
The Mastery, Professional Impact, Vision & Will - Actor's Institute 1992/3/4
Training the Trainer - London Training Group 1976
Areas of counselling I deal with
Individual session - £55 (negotiations for low income)
Couples session - £75
Group - £25
In addition to my counselling practice, I offer
- Supervision to counsellors/therapists and others who work interpersonally with people.
- Creativity workshops, with the focus of personal-development.
- Therapeutic group work.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Supervision & training
I have been functioning as a counsellor and supervisor since 1989.View supervision profile