Mary Wilkinson MBACP Senior Accredited counsellor, Integrative Supervisor
I offer a unique integration of counselling, psychotherapy and hypnotherapy approaches adaptable to the many different kinds of people who can benefit from these therapies. With 27 years experience in both short and long term therapy, I have worked with a wide range of problems and I will tailor the therapy to suit you.
As an Integrative therapist my main approaches in counselling and psychotherapy are person-centred and psychodynamic. I also integrate body-oriented psychotherapy approaches and cognitive methods.
I will offer hypnotherapy for some types of problems provided you are comfortable with this. Hypnotherapy can quickly get to the root of the problem. It draws on powerful inner resources and facilitates positive change from deep within the subconscious mind.
I will gently enable you to connect to feelings and emotions which you may have ignored or repressed - allowing them to be safely expressed and released, understood and accepted. This aspect of therapy contributes powerfully to the process of healing and recovery.
I will also work with your cognitive processes, looking at your habitual thoughts and deep seated beliefs...how these may be affecting your perceptions, choices and behaviours...how they can be changed to your benefit.
I honour the healing power of the therapeutic relationship through depth of listening, a non-judgemental empathic approach and appropriate creative challenge to enable both self-acceptance and change.
Training, qualifications & experience
I am a BACP Senior Accredited and professionally registered Counsellor/Psychotherapist.
After graduating in French in 1974, I pursued a deeper and lifelong interest in psychological therapies, well-being and personal growth. I attended many different courses and workshops including meditation, Psychosynthesis, creative self-expression and the development of the intuition but my main learning from 1975-87 was from a long participation and experiential training in Body-Oriented psychotherapy (Bioenergetics) and personal growth including both individual and groupwork.
My formal training was:-
- A three-year postgraduate level training in counselling, Cambridge University (extra-mural) 1988-91
- A further two-term advanced counselling course with particular focus on short-term techniques 1991-2
- A one-year postgraduate level course in the Supervision of Counselling, Cambridge University (extra-mural) 1993-4.
- I trained with the Atkinson-Ball College of Hypnotherapy and Hypnohealing 1995-96 and am registered with the Corporation of Advanced Hypnotherapy (CAH)
I have wide experience in short and long term therapy....
- For the NHS in two GP surgeries as a Primary Care Counsellor 1992-98.
- A successful private practice in Leighton Buzzard since 1992
- Many years providing short term counselling for company employees in Employee Assistance Programmes.
I have over 24 years experience as a consultant counselling supervisor to both trainee counsellors and qualified accredited counsellors since 1994.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Attachment disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Physical abuse
Other areas of counselling I deal with
* menopause * thyroid disorders *chronic fatigue *disability
* hearing loss *sight loss * Insomnia * Stress Induced Illness
* Irritable Bowel Syndrome * Psychosomatic Ailments
*Mind-Body Healing * Pain Management
* Weight Control * Smoking Cessation
* Habits * Fears * Panic Attacks * Exam Nerves
*Flying Phobia *Dental Phobia *Lifts Phobia
* Personal Development * Performance Enhancement
* Relaxation and Stress Management
Please see my website www.marywilkinson.org for session fees. Free initial half-hour meeting.
I work from my comfortable and confidential consulting room in my home.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Regular sessions offered on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and some Thursdays. Appointments held mornings and some evenings from 4.00 till 7.00.
Types of client
Supervision & training
I qualified as a counselling supervisor in 1994 after completing the Cambridge University Certificate in the Supervision of Counselling - equivalent to modern day diploma courses from other training establishments.View supervision profile