Helen King Online: counselling Codependency + Negative thoughts/feelings.
From 20th March 2020 I reduced my £50 sessional fee to £30, to help with the effects of the Coronavirus. From 1st July, my fee will increase to £40, per 50-minute session and on 1st October, will rise to £45, per session - and will remain at this level for the rest of 2020. First info-gathering session is free of charge.
I am currently working very successfully face-to-face Online with client who prefer to work this way - and with Expats abroad, as well as clients who live further away in the UK.
My Walk&Talk practice will commence again from 1st July - so please do get in touch in you would like to get out into nature for your sessions.
What’s churning you up, gripping your chest, keeping you awake? What’s overwhelming you, or intruding on your mental or physical space? Let’s discover exactly what it is that keeps creeping up and biting you in the bum – over and over again.
Some clients describe me as relaxed and unphased – true, I am fairly bomb-proof and don’t wobble at difficult or traumatic issues, yet your sensitive issues will be handled sensitively. My skill is in listening intently to your story, your situation, your take on it and helping you unpick it: to help you keep the healthy bits and chuck the rest. You can choose to raise your life up to make it a little better, or if you’re sick of the ‘same-old, same-old’, I will help you to write a new life script. Just depends on what level you would like to experience change.
There is no charge for our first 40-50 minute info-gathering meeting. If you choose my Walk&Talk option (below), we will still need to meet in-person, but in the less formal surroundings of a local venue (to be advised).
It’s not a buzzword! Nor can it be boiled down to an academic list of behaviours. To really understand this unhealthy way of living, we need to ‘come alongside’ it - recognize how it chips away at your wellbeing, your self-esteem. We can then go deeper into your process and move towards recovery. Nearly 15 years ago, I founded a local self-help group for those suffering from co-dependency and went on to start two more. I understand just how debilitating codependency can be.
REPETITIVE THOUGHTS, FEELINGS AND BEHAVIOURS
Codependent-thinking definitely falls under this heading – but then so does ADHD, which is a different kind of condition. After coming into therapy with really desperate chaos in their lives, a fair number of my clients have gone on to be officially diagnosed with ADHD. I have been able to help clients recognize their symptoms, reach an acceptance and map out a way forward. I have also worked with a number of clients diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder (and other repetitive/chaotic conditions). Choosing to get a formal diagnosis, or not, doesn’t solve anything – it’s a case of “So what? Now what?” So we work together to recognize negative patterns and learn to “press pause” on knee-jerk responses. It makes for a less complicated life!
HOW DO WE WORK TOGETHER?
Online Face-to-Face : Safe, convenient and time-efficient. I am happy to meet Online anywhere in the world, where we can connect at a mutually convenient time.
Walk & Talk : The majority of my clients Walk&Talk with me, outside in fresh air. Appointments are limited (due to me having only one pair of feet!). We utilise techniques to mobilise both left and right brain sides of the brain, allowing thoughts to arise freely and clearly. We'll make good use of the natural environment for reflection, inspiration and motivation. Walk & Talk in nature reduces blood pressure, mobilises joints and regulates breathing. It also raises endorphins and serotonin, which make you feel more calm and connected.
In 2011, I completed my 4-year training to MSc-level in the traditional in-depth psychotherapy of Transactional Analysis (TA) and in 2014/15 in the contemporary, forward-focused Acceptance & Commitment Training (ACT), which focuses on values, mindful living and taking committed action. ACT looks at what you can do, as opposed to what you've not been able to do in the past.
Whilst I have worked with clients outdoors (Walk&Talk) for some years now - utilising a left-brain/right-brain trauma releasing method of therapy - I am also currently training in "eco-therapy" methods.
I am a Member of the British Association of Counsellors & Psychotherapists (MBACP). In 2018, after coaching clients for two years, I qualified as a Professional Coach. I am now a registered Member of the Association for Coaches (MAC).
Initial meeting: free of charge.
Thereafter, each therapy session (inside, outside, online): £40.00.
Therapy sessions are 50 minutes in length.
For personal coaching, please visit: www.take2coaching.co.uk. If coaching is a better option to gain momentum towards your goals, then we will aim to meet every other week @ £75.00 per 1-hour session. The longer time between sessions helps you to implement your actions and formulate new steps forward.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Currently training in the Ten Directions method of "eco-therapy".
- Professional coaching qualification: the PURE Coaching Academy
- Coaching certificate/foundation
- Advanced training in Acceptance & Commitment Training (ACT is a division of Association of Contextual Behavioural Science).
- PGDip Transactional Analysis Psychotherapeutic Studies (Middlesex University)
- Advanced training (MSc) in Transactional Analysis psychotherapy (Metanoia Institute).
- Trauma Therapy training (Wealdon College)
- Animal Assisted Therapy: co-working with animals to help human clients! (Wealdon)
- Addictions training (ASCA)
- Various training, including: "Integral Model for Treating Trauma & Addiction"; "Addiction & Narcissism" (LifeWorks Community)
- Working with Groups, Working with Couples, Bodywork (Metanoia)
- Bowlby Attachment Relationships (PPA)
- Bereavement Counselling (Kingston Bereavement)
- Motivational Interviewing (Kingston Strategic Partnership)
- Various NHS in-depth training (workshop based and on-the-job) in Mental Health procedure and diagnosis (Kingston & District PCT
Other relevant training
- Beliefs and Values in World Religions (WLIHE)
- 12-Step model of working with addictive behaviours.
- 12 years private practice, including 4 years Walk & Talk
- 3 years counselling with ASCA, Richmond (Addiction Support & Care Agency)
- One year counselling in a centre for survivors of sexual and domestic abuse
- One year counselling with Metanoia Institute Clinic - clients with varied issues
- One year employed as Programme Assistant, Lifeworks Community, Surrey - private residential addictions rehab
- 3 years: Kingston & District Community NHS Trust - serving on a panel reviewing patients who have been Sectioned under the Mental Health Act.
- Administrating and marketing the BFSS National RE (Interfaith) Centre, focused on celebrating difference in society and running workshops and courses for State school teachers.
- I have considerable life experience, and hold a managerial background in marketing, manufacturing and strategy consultancy.
I am registered with and adhere to the following organisations' codes of ethics
- BACP - MBACP/Registered (Member British Association of Counsellors and Psychotherapists).
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Concessions offered for
Initial meeting to discuss your needs: free of charge.
If your needs are best served with weekly psychotherapy & counselling, the fees are £50.00 per 50-minute session.
If coaching is a better option to gain momentum towards your goals, then we will aim to meet every other week @ £75.00 per 1-hour session. The longer time between sessions helps you to implement your actions and formulate new steps forward.
Working both online and in-person (Walk&Talk).