Helen King - Psychotherapy: Walk&Talk / Inside / Online / Professional Coaching.
What can I help you with? If you'd like to talk it out, develop greater awareness, raise esteem, create new strategies - then come and walk with me. Moving your body helps unstick thoughts and feelings and you'll be surprised at how different you feel just by being outside. If, however, you're stuck in the office or at home, then it'll be more convenient for us to meet face-to-face online. There's lots of pluses for working online: location, no travelling time, familiar surroundings, etc - plus an "ease" that develops as we work in this way.
Outdoor sessions (with me) utilise techniques to help mobilise both left and right sides of the brain, thus allowing your thoughts to arise freely and clearly - resolving repetitive thought patterns, stress, trauma, anxiety or depression. And we make good use of the natural surroundings for reflection, inspiration and motivation. Walk&Talk in nature reduces blood pressure, mobilises joints and regulates breathing. It also raises endorphins and serotonin, which make you feel more calm and connected.
Working Online is comfortable and time-efficient - and I think it adds something to the mix, as clients seem to be very relaxed in their own surroundings, rather than sitting within someone else's four walls.
New: Teddington therapy room appointments: Tuesdays 1pm, 2pm, 3pm, 4pm only.
I use the data-protection compliant software VSee.
I blend my psychotherapy training with certified life coaching training, for a more forward-focused approach. We'll work with your core values and strengths, and look at what you can do, as opposed to what you've not been able to do in the past.
Perhaps you're wanting to make a key life change: new career, job, divorce, children, living alone, better relationships, build a support circle, travel/new country - or facing major transitions like business succession, inheritance succession, purposeful retirement. Therapy/counselling -or- Life Coaching is a good investment in self.
If your needs are best served with weekly psychotherapy or counselling (whether we meet for Walk&Talk, sitting down, or face-to-face Online), the fees are £50.00 per session.
If personal coaching is a better option to gain momentum towards your goals, then we will aim to meet every other week @ £80.00 per 1-hour session / or 10 x 1 hour sessions @ £720 (must be pre-booked/pre-paid). The longer time between sessions helps you to implement your actions and formulate new steps forward.
My personal style is open and calm; my values are steeped in fairness, truth and good boundaries. I'm committed to providing a safe, comfortable experience for you.
Please note: I do not conduct sessions on the telephone. As a therapeutic or coaching tool it stinks! It is far too "remote" to really make a difference in our work together - so whether we're outside or inside, we'll meet face-to-face!
The photo (above) is of a print that used to hang in my old therapy offices. When you look at it one way, it could be underwater plants, yet, in another way, it could be garden plants. I like the fact that we all see life in different ways - with the option to see something from another angle, if we so choose. Therapy (or coaching) does not have to be sitting down within four walls. Clients have shown me that being outdoors provides an added dimension to healing and making positive change.
Originally, I trained to MSc-level in the traditional psychotherapy of Transactional Analysis (TA) and in 2014/15 in the contemporary, outcome-focused Acceptance & Commitment Training (ACT). I am a Member of the British Association of Counsellors & Psychotherapists (MBACP). In 2018, after coaching clients for two years, I qualified as a Professional Coach. I am now a registered Member of the Association for Coaches (MAC).
I work with clients in the Teddington/Richmond-upon-Thames areas - and now also in the Isle of Wight. And I am happy to meet Online anywhere in the world, where we can connect at a mutually convenient time.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Professional coaching qualification: the PURE Coaching Academy
- Coaching certificate/foundation
- Advanced training in Acceptance & Commitment Training (ACT is a division of Association of Contextual Behavioural Science).
- PGDip Transactional Analysis Psychotherapeutic Studies (Middlesex University)
- Advanced training (MSc) in Transactional Analysis psychotherapy (Metanoia Institute).
- Trauma Therapy training (Wealdon College)
- Animal Assisted Therapy: co-working with animals to help human clients! (Wealdon)
- Addictions training (ASCA)
- Various training, including: "Integral Model for Treating Trauma & Addiction"; "Addiction & Narcissism" (LifeWorks Community)
- Working with Groups, Working with Couples, Bodywork (Metanoia)
- Bowlby Attachment Relationships (PPA)
- Bereavement Counselling (Kingston Bereavement)
- Motivational Interviewing (Kingston Strategic Partnership)
- Various NHS in-depth training (workshop based and on-the-job) in Mental Health procedure and diagnosis (Kingston & District PCT
Other relevant training
- Beliefs and Values in World Religions (WLIHE)
- 12-Step model of working with addictive behaviours.
- 12 years private practice, including 4 years Walk & Talk
- 3 years counselling with ASCA, Richmond (Addiction Support & Care Agency)
- One year counselling in a centre for survivors of sexual and domestic abuse
- One year counselling with Metanoia Institute Clinic - clients with varied issues
- One year employed as Programme Assistant, Lifeworks Community, Surrey - private residential addictions rehab
- 3 years: Kingston & District Community NHS Trust - serving on a panel reviewing patients who have been Sectioned under the Mental Health Act.
- Administrating and marketing the BFSS National RE (Interfaith) Centre, focused on celebrating difference in society and running workshops and courses for State school teachers.
- I have considerable life experience, and hold a managerial background in marketing, manufacturing and strategy consultancy.
I am registered with and adhere to the following organisations' codes of ethics
- BACP - MBACP/Registered (Member British Association of Counsellors and Psychotherapists).
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Schizoid personality disorder
- Schizotypal personality disorder
- Separation and divorce
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
- Acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT)
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Couples counselling
- Humanistic therapies
Initial meeting to discuss your needs: £20.00.
If your needs are best served with weekly psychotherapy, the fees are £50.00 per 50-minute session.
If coaching is a better option to gain momentum towards your goals, then we will aim to meet every other week @ £90.00 per 1-hour session / or 10 x 1-hour sessions, pre-booked/pre-paid = £800.00. The longer time between sessions helps you to implement your actions and formulate new steps forward.
- Also registered with Life Coach Directory
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Walk&Talk in Teddington
Therapy room (Teddington): Tuesdays 1pm, 2pm, 3pm, 4pm only.
Types of client
Supervision & training
To maintain good practice in my work with clients, I have regular supervision with Integrative Supervisor and Counsellor, Yara Steel, who also specialises in left-brain/right-brain approaches to therapy.View supervision profile