Candy Newman MBACP (Accred)
322 Kingsland Road
07855 696 309
I am a fully accredited and experienced Humanistic counsellor and psychotherapist (MBACP Accred.) based in Southgate N14 and in Haggerston E8 in London. I work with individuals, couples and groups.
I work by listening to you carefully and coming to a shared understanding of the issues you bring. By being receptive, open and non-judgmental, I provide a confidential and supportive environment in which you will feel able to share your thoughts, feelings and experiences. This will allow you to clarify your experience, to deepen your self-understanding and to explore different responses to yourself and others.
Much of my training has centred on relationships and I deeply value what I have learned about creating healthy, authentic and good willed communication styles to develop positive, constructive intimate relationships.
As a Humanistic therapist I believe in the transformative process of therapy, that when we have the support we require, we heal, grow and resolve many of our problems. We can improve our relationship with our self and with others and our life becomes more satisfying and fulfilling.
People often come to counselling and psychotherapy to make changes, sometimes to manage times of transitions or loss or for greater self-understanding and awareness. Here you have the opportunity to be heard in a safe, confidential environment and to come to understand and appreciate yourself and your situation fully. You can share deep concerns and receive support in meeting the challenges you face.
In counselling and psychotherapy you can learn to:
- Manage anxiety and stressful situations more effectively and gain a deeper sense of personal power
- Understand and manage depression
- Increase your sense of self-esteem, confidence and assertiveness
- Begin to see which aspects of your life you find fulfilling and satisfying and to consider any changes you could make
- Develop a better understanding of yourself and communicate with others more effectively.
- Improve your relationships with your partner, family, friends and colleagues
- Work with your partner in couple’s therapy to identify the strengths and difficulties in the relationship, to resolve and heal outstanding issues and to communicate well with each other
- Grow to understand the effect of past traumas and decrease the impact they have in the present
- Acknowledge unhelpful habits and patterns in your life and create more helpful and supportive ways to live
We will have an ongoing dialogue about the work, so you are in control of the pace and methods which you find most effective. I work by drawing on a variety of Humanistic theoretical approaches such as Gestalt and Formative Psychology. I have also been using Mindfulness techniques, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) and Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) to support clients in managing stress, anxiety and depression.
For more information see my website www.candynewman.com
Training, qualifications & experience
My counselling and psychotherapy training was with Spectrum, a UKCP accredited Humanistic training centre in Finsbury Park, North London where I am in ongoing professional development and in supervision.
As well as other modular courses I completed the following:
- Spectrum Counselling skills December 2002
- One Year Psychotherapy Diploma December 2005
- One Year Post Graduation Diploma December 2007
- Childhood Sexual Abuse January 2009
- Spectrum Sexuality Programme March 2010
- Anger Management programme November 2011
I am trained and experienced in working with individuals, couples and groups.
I have had a private practise since 2007 and am a fully accredited member of the BACP. I worked as a counsellor for Mind in Enfield since 2010 and am currently running groups for Mind in Enfield for clients dealing with stress, anxiety or depression.
I am on the BACP register of Counsellors and Psychotherapists N0 : 0534256
I abide by the BACP and UKCP codes of practise
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Physical abuse
Other areas of counselling I deal with
- couples work
- communication and intimacy skills
- living with cancer
- divorce and separation
- parenting issues
My fees are currently:
£60 an hour for individuals and £70 for couples in Southgate
£65 an hour for individuals and £75 an hour for couples in Haggerston.
I offer some low cost places to clients who are not in work or are on a low wage.
Before training in counselling and psychotherapy I worked in education for many years with students with additional learning or language needs and their parents. I also facilitated parenting programmes for children centres and primary schools in Waltham Forest.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Day and evening appointments available during the week and sometimes at the weekend
Types of client