Clare James UKCP Psychotherapist. MSc In Integrative Psychotherapy. EMDR
- I am a UKCP registered psychotherapist with an MSc in Integrative psychotherapy and a fully qualified counsellor and a member of the Metanoia Training Institute.
- I also am an Accredited EMDR Consultant and work with clients who have had acute and chronic traumatic experiences.
- I work with some clients for several weeks, and other clients may need several months and then there are some clients whom I work with for several years.
- I offer a safe, confidential and non-judgemental space, in which you can have an opportunity to reflect upon past and present issues which may be blocking your ability to deal with your daily life.
- I believe that each person carries an amazing wealth of self-knowledge and wisdom and it sometimes needs another person to support them in finding that part of themselves, and that is where the healing lies.
- I believe that the therapeutic relationship is the most important part of the healing process and each person brings their own specialness to our work together.
Training, qualifications & experience
- MSc in Integrative Psychotherapy (2003)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Integrative Psychotherapy (2003)
- Diploma in Psychological Counselling (1997)
- Certificate in Pastoral Counselling (1990)
- Certificate in Counselling - RSA (1988)
- Certificate in Clinical Supervision (2004)
- EMDR Accredited Practitioner (2009)
- Master Practitioner Course in Eating Disorders (2010)
- Parent-Infant Mental Health Module (2006)
- How to Teach Baby Massage (2007)
- Psychological Trauma and the Child (2008)
- Sensori-Motor Psychotherapy Seminars (2009)
- PTSD in Preschool Children Seminar (2009)
- EMDR Masterclass in Treating Survivors of Sexual Abuse (2010)
- EMDR Conference and Coping with Trauma-Related Dissociation (2011)
- Why Psychotherapy Works-Mindfulness and Mindsight in therapy (2011)
- EMDR Practitioner with Children & Adolescents (2011)
- EMDR Consultants Training Course (2012)
- Working with Veterans EMDR Masterclass (2012)
- The Power of Non-verbal Communication- In the Talking Cure (2013)
- Tension & Trauma Releasing Exercises (TRE) (2013)
- A Masterclass in recent EMDR Research (2013)
- EUROPE Accredited EMDR Consultant (2014)
- The Art of EMDR Supervision (2014)
- Using EMDR with Military Clients (2014)
- Treating Traumatically traumatised Children (2015)
- EMDR Specialist Workshop - EMDR and First Responders Emergency Service Personnel (2015)
- Trauma & The Body: Somatisation & Dissociation (PODS training 2015)
- Trauma, Dissociation & Recovery (POSD training 2015)
- When People Hurt Children, What Happens to their Brains? (Dr Martin Teicher 2015)
- When There are No Words: EMDR for Early Trauma & Neglect in Implicit Memory (Dr Paulsen 2015)
- Shamanic Approaches in Modern Psychotherapy - Confer Conference. London April 2016.
- EMDR Toolbox- Complex Trauma Workshop - 2 days London Oct 2016
- Looking Through the Eyes: EMDR & Ego State Therapy Across The Dissociative Continuum - 2 day workshop London October 2016
- Towards an Embodied Self: Somatic Methods for EMDR Practitioners. 2 day workshop London October 2016.
- EMDR Consultants' Supervision training day - Jan 2017.
- EMDR Conference - London March 24 & 25th 2017
- Trauma & Attachment International seminar - London 12 -14th May 2017.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Attachment disorder
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Separation and divorce
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
- I am a Europe EMDR Accredited Consultant. In my practice, I work with many different kinds of Trauma using EMDR, especially PTSD, and Complex Trauma, which is often associated with childhood abuses and neglect of various kinds.
- I also work with clients who have chronic pain or who have developed physical symptoms which do not appear to have a medical cause.
- I also work with clients with Relationship difficulties such as divorce, separation, parenting problems and work-related issues.
- I work with adolescents who are experiencing bullying and stress related to exam performance, and difficult family and peer relationships.
- Anxieties associated with phobias or compulsive behaviours respond well to EMDR interventions too.
- Life change issues and work-related problems and how to manage the intense demands of trying to balance work and personal relationships.
- How to understand what happens to us when we have had a less than 'good enough' parenting and how it impacts upon our adult life and intimate relationships.
- The fee is £65 for 60 minutes
- I accept either cash or payment via BACS
- A typed receipt will be given on request.
- A cancellation fee is charged for missed sessions unless 48 hours notice has been given.
- During the initial assessment session, I will give feedback to each client about how I would work with them, and identify the main themes that I believe are causing problems in their present life.
- There would be regular reviews of our work so that we can ensure that I am attending to what each client actually needs.
- If possible I offer clients the same appointment slot each week.
- Some clients have to work irregular hours and that is taken into account and a variable appointment system is therefore offered.
- Issues regarding holidays and cancellations are discussed in the initial session and all such relevant information is written out for each client to take away and read.
- I require at least one session to prepare for ending our work.
- My office is a purpose built Swedish log cabin which is situated down my drive away from my home and has a designated parking space for your car.
- The area looks out onto garden and woodland and is a tranquil place in which to be reflective.
- There is a green 'public bridleway' sign at the top of the drive and there is a sign 'Lilac Cottage' on the top fence.
- There are blue and white 'Single Traffic ' signs directly opposite the cottage on Drungewick Lane on the B2133.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
10 - 20.15hrs Monday - Thursday
Types of client
Supervision & training
I undertook a year's course in clinical supervision in 2004 at Metanoia Institute.View supervision profile