I am an independent psychotherapist with a long established practice in Sway, near Lymington – Hampshire. I have over fifteen years of psychotherapeutic (and therapeutic counselling) experience and work sensitively and respectfully with patients throughout a wide range of psychological and emotional issues, especially relating to a residue of childhood difficulties. I.e. bereavement, loss, uncertainty, abuse. relocation and many other events, distressing and / or puzzling to a child, - resulting in negative relationships, depression, compulsions or unfulfilled life styles in adulthood.
I have special interests around Trauma, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), and Chronic PTSD relating to childhood trauma, deprivation and abuse.
In addition I have worked extensively as an Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) Therapist with a Local Authority – where client issues ranged from personal, to work related;. and further, as a Therapist working with asylum seeking and refugee patients, suffering from a legacy of political aggression, torture, rape and genocide.
I am frequently instructed by a considerable number of solicitors in London and the Home Counties in assessing clients and writing detailed psychological reports for tribunals and courts of law.
My wide background in education has enabled me to have an in depth understanding of young people and complicated family dynamics. This in turn led me to undertake a Masters Degree in Education with a strong therapeutic element. My interest in a therapeutic approach to education and life in general led me to undertake firstly, a Diploma in Psycho-dynamic Counselling -University of Portsmouth; followed by Psychotherapy training at the University of Surrey, graduating with an MSc in Psychotherapy; and later at the world renowned Tavistock & Portman NHS Trust, London where I graduated with a Masters degree in Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy.
My interest and skills in working with trauma were subsequently developed as a result of undertaking a year long specialist Post Graduate training in Trauma, also at the Tavistock Centre.
When a client makes an enquiry about psychotherapy or psychotherapeutic counselling, either by phone or email, I will answer queries in the first instance at the point of contact. If an initial consultation is requested, this can be of up to an hour and a half in duration, where any further queries can be discussed, such as possible time scale of treatment. I then ask prospective clients to take time to think about whether they wish to engage in therapy, and ensure that there is no pressure to decide on the day of the consultation, although this is also possible, if wished.
Many of the dilemmas that are manifested in adolescence and adulthood, have roots in infancy and early childhood and may also be carried forward from generation to generation.. It is the uncovering of early experiences and the understanding of the impact which these may have on a person's adult life which helps to lead to a more healthy acceptance of the self and psychological growth.
There are a number of recognised models of psychotherapy and psychotherapeutic counselling available and due to the various courses and trainings which I have undertaken, I am familiar with some of these. However, over time I have come to the realisation that the psychoanalytic / psychodynamic model, where early infancy/ childhood relationships are explored and uncovered, has a more lasting. Impact on ways of feeling and thinking in relationships and other adolescent and adult life situations.
NB. Psychoanalytic ways of thinking and engaging in therapy can be applied to many existing issues and emotional difficulties - and I am happy to discuss this further with prospective clients.
Training, qualifications & experience
- MA (Ed) (Including CAES Counc in Education) – University of Southampton
- Cross Cultural Counselling H.E. Level – University of Southampton
- Diploma – Psychodynamic Counselling – University of Portsmouth
- MSc Psychotherapy as a Means to Health – University of Surrey
- MA. Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy – Tavistock & Portman NHS Trust Univeristy of Essex
- Post Graduate Level Certificate – Understanding Trauma – (Principals & Practice) – Tavistock & Portman
- NHS Trust
- Diploma in Psychiatric Studies
- Diploma in Forensic Psychology
- Diploma in Child Psychology
NB – Extensive knowledge of other cultures
- Experience in working through an interpreter.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Career counselling
- Child related issues
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Drug addiction
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic attacks
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Relationship problems
- Sex addiction
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
- Dissociative Identity (DID)
- Intercultural Therapy
- Refugee/asylum Issues – including: Genocide, torture, rape
- Forensic Psychotherapy
- Perverse states
Psychotherapy & Counselling: Hampshire £45 per 50 minute session. (Initial Assessment up to 1 hr 30 mins – Same flat rate £45 for the assessment.
Additional Professional Service Offered:
- Psychological assessment/consultations
- Report writing undertaken for Courts of law e.g Asylum appeals etc work tribunals, projects etc
- Workshops/training: Trauma/refugee issues
Membership of Professional Bodies
- Member: British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy (MBACP) – Including Division-Counselling children & young people.
- Associate Member: Royal Society of Medicine (RSM) Including Division of Psychiatry
- Member:Guild of Stress Management & Trauma Specialists
- Full Indemnity Insurance: Ongoing Cover
- Professional Consultation: Ongoing
- Continual Professional Development: Ongoing – i.e. Relevant lectures, seminars, courses.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
From 11am - 6pm by negotiation.
Types of client