Ann Curley MA, MBACP (Accred) Counsellor & Supervisor
Hello, my name is Ann Curley and I am a BACP Accredited Counsellor with 18 years practice experience providing counselling support to adults (individuals and couples), teenagers and children.
Counselling for Adults
I have worked with adults for the past 27 years (both as a counsellor and a mental health practitioner) and I am experienced in providing support to people suffering with anxiety, low mood, sadness and depression, self worth issues, bereavement and loss, work related stress, anger, trauma, abuse and relationship difficulties. I have recently completed additional training in Couples and Relationship Counselling.
As well as working in private practice I provide 1:1 counselling support to NHS and local authority employees and am happy to work with both short term/brief and longer term counselling approaches.
I am able to offer a confidential and flexible counselling service in a safe and friendly environment. Please do not hesitate to contact me for a chat about what you may need from counselling and also to help you decide if I am the right person to help.
Counselling for Children and Young People
Throughout my counselling career I have also enjoyed working with children and young adults. This has been predominantly in school settings in the local area as well as further education and university counselling services. I have experience helping children and young adults manage a range of difficulties such as: grief and loss, trauma, anger, bullying, exam stress, body image issues, relationship difficulties, sexual identity, low mood, self harm, loss of confidence and friendship problems.
Counselling for Infertility
I have specialist training as an Infertility Counsellor. I am accredited by the British Infertility Counselling Association and since 2001 I have worked in a busy NHS Department of Reproductive Medicine. Struggling to conceive and subsequently undergoing infertility investigations and treatment can be extremely stressful, causing individuals significant anxiety and often putting a strain on the couple relationship.Over the years I have gained a lot of experience supporting people through this process.
Group Support- I run short term (6 session) Self help Support Groups for Women and for Couples undergoing fertility investigations and treatment.
I am a qualified supervisor and provide supervision to counsellors and other health care professionals working with adults, young people and children.
As with my counselling practice, I aim to offer a flexible service in a quiet and comfortable environment and competitive rates.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Advanced Diploma in Counselling (Integrative Counselling)- Manchester University
- Accredited member of the British Association of Counselling & Psychotherapy
- UKRCP Registered Independent Counsellor
- Accredited member of the British Infertility Counselling Association (AMBICA)
- Certificate of Counselling and Psychotherapy Supervision Practice
- Certificate in Couples and Relationship Counselling
- BA Hons Degree
- Diploma in Social Work
- Masters in Social Work
Continuing professional development courses and training (2000-present)
- Certificate in Counselling Children (48 Hours -Relate Institute)
- Schools Work: Train the Trainer (9 Credits at Level 3 - Relate Institute)
- Solution Focused Brief Therapy - BRIEF
- Transactional Analysis Training
- CBT Training
- Grief and Loss Training
- Safeguarding (adults and children)/domestic violence training (regularly renewed and updated)
- Working with survivors of sexual abuse
- Risk assessment training
- Ongoing Training (Attending and Delivering) Infertility Counselling
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Attachment disorder
- Attachment disorder in children
- Behaviour problems
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Child related issues
- Childhood bereavement
- Childhood bullying
- Children’s learning difficulties
- Depression and anxiety in children
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Panic attacks
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Separation anxiety
- Sexual abuse
- Work-related stress
- Young carers
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Confidence Building Groups for Children (8-11 years)
Infertility Support for women and couples.
1 day Infertility Counselling Introductory workshops for counsellors and other professionals with a special interest in this area. Next Training Date: October 2018
Photos & videos
- Initial introductory 30 minute meeting £10 (room hire)
- Ongoing counselling sessions for individuals £40 for 60 minutes
- Ongoing counselling sessions for couples - £50 for 60 minutes
- £45 for supervision
Student counsellors please contact me to discuss reduced rates.
I have a person centered philosophy and through my training as an integrative counsellor, I am able to apply different counselling approaches to try to help individuals, couples, adults, children and young people overcome problems and hopefully find themselves in a preferred place.
In terms of the service that I offer, I aim to be as flexible as possible and am happy to negotiate times and frequency of contact to meet the needs of the individual.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Available most evenings and all day on Fridays
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training