Allister Murdoch Reg. MBACP
I provide a counselling and psychotherapy service for individual adults in Glasgow and Edinburgh city centres. I opened this full time practice in 2007. I had previous practiced in London for several years before moving back to Scotland. I see clients on a weekly or fortnightly basis.
I specialise in working with individual clients wanting therapy for:
- Abuse (Current/Survivors only)
- LGBTQIA+ issues
- Counselling for Men
- Relationship issues
In counselling and psychotherapy you can learn to:
- Manage anxiety and stressful situations more effectively,
- Understand and manage your depression.
- Increase your sense of self-esteem, confidence and assertiveness.
- Explore which parts of your life you don't find fulfilling and satisfying and to
- explore any changes you could make.
- Improve your relationships with your partner, family, friends and colleagues.
- Become aware of the effect of past events and decrease the impact they have in the present today.
- Acknowledge unhelpful habits and patterns in your life and create healthier ways.
My practice has over the years developed due to specialist training into one that attracts a very large number of men. I also attract a large number of clients of sexuality, gender and relationship style diversities.
I integrate several Humanistic Therapy techniques from many methods of therapy. The most common ones I use are Gestalt therapy and Solution focused brief therapy for more information on these click on this link https://www.counselling-directory.org.uk/humanistic.html
'Allister is an incredibly helpful, nice and understanding therapist to which I owe a lot for helping feel liberated from anxiety and paranoia that encircled me for a couple of years. Being a student and living away from home I felt isolated in a city I was not 100% familiar with but with the help of Allister I was able to embrace the feeling of anxiety and turn it into a positive feeling which allowed me discover my environment and myself as well.' NS (Oct 2019)
"I saw Allister on a weekly basis for 6 months. He is very relatable, easy to get on with, and took great care to remember the details of my story. He listened carefully and spoke thoughtfully in each session, and his insights were extremely valuable in helping me on my way. I looked forward to the regular sessions each week, which became a steady cornerstone of my time in Edinburgh. I would highly recommend Allister to anyone considering professional help." EL Edinburgh
“As I am a woman reflecting on my bisexuality and midlife, I found working with Allister at the Forth Street rooms in Edinburgh valuable, energising and insightful. Allister is an excellent listener who is generous, challenging and thoughtful with his enquiries. He has a relaxed, compassionate and delightful presence. I would recommend Allister to anyone who is exploring their sexuality.”
Training, qualifications & experience
Graduate Diploma in Humanistic Psychotherapy from Spectrum Training,(London)
Post Graduate Certificate in Psychotherapy and a further 4 years at an on going Post Graduate Group.2004
Certificate in Counselling (Birkbeck College, UCL, London) 1998
- TA101 (Transactional Analysis)
- Domestic Violence Training (Abused Men In Scotland)
- Practical Application of Intimate Relationship Skills (Spectrum)
- Anger Management (Spectrum)
- Assertiveness Training (Spectrum)
- Coaching for Counsellors (Rowan Consultancy, Perth)
- Intimacy, Sex and Affairs (SAPC)
- Group Work (Pink Therapy)
- Plus various conferences throughout the year
- Emotional impact of Living with epilepsy (Epilepsy Scotland)
- Cruse Bereavement training
- Trinity Hospice bereavement training
- Plus various conferences throughout each year
Specialist Training for working with gender, sexual and relationship diversity clients.
- Essentials in Gender And Sexual Diversity Therapy (Pink Therapy)
- Working with Chemsex. (Pink Therapy).
- Understanding Kink & BDSM (Pink Therapy)
- Working with LGBTQI young People (BACP)
- Working with partners of Trans-Identified People (BACP)
- Asexualities: intimacy and desire (Pink Therapy)
- I'm too sexy: understanding sexual compulsivity in gay and bisexual men (Pink Therapy).
Trinity Hospice (London) 2005 - http://www.trinityhospice.org.uk
Safe Space (Dunfermline) 2007 - 2009 - https://safe-space.co.uk For survivors of childhood sexual abuse.
Abused Men in Scotland Helpline(AMIS) January 2015 to December 2017 https://www.amis.org.uk
I am a Registered Member of the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy. www.bacpregister.org.uk (I am listed in Edinburgh)
I was a founding member of the BACP Coaching Section. www.bacpcoaching.co.uk
I am listed in The Directory of Pink Therapists. www.pinktherapy.com
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Bipolar disorder
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Health anxiety
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Physical abuse
- Relationship problems
- Separation and divorce
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
I having experience of working with men wanting to talk about the impact on them of
Abuse (Emotional, Physical or Sexual)
Pregnancy and birth
I am a Kink/BDSM aware therapist and have experience of working with clients wanting to talk with an accepting therapist.
I am Chemsex aware and with experience of working with clients with this issue.
I am sex worker friendly with experience of working with both male and female workers.
Photos & videos
All sessions with me cost £60.00. Each session last for 50 minutes.
I accept payment by cash, cheque, or Paypal via my website. (You do not have to a PayPal account to do this].
Making an initial appointment.
Calls to me routinely go to voicemail. Please leave a message and I will return your call.
I return calls and reply to emails Sunday to Friday between 11am and 7pm.
I do not make initial appointments by email or text.
When I call you and don't get a reply I will leave a message when possible or send you an email to let you know that I have call.
Once I have replied to your phone call and left a message or sent an email I will wait for you to contact me again. I will not keep calling or emailing you.
It is really helpful when you call/email me to tell me whether you want to see me in Glasgow or Edinburgh.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Types of client