Allister Murdoch Reg. MBACP
I provide a counselling and psychotherapy service for individual adults in Glasgow and Edinburgh city centres. I opened this full time practice in 2007. I had previous practiced in London for several years before moving back to Scotland
I specialise in working with individual clients wanting therapy for:
- Abuse (Current/Survivors only)
- LGBTQIA+ issues
- Counselling for Men
- Relationship issues
In counselling and psychotherapy you can learn to:
- Manage anxiety and stressful situations more effectively,
- Understand and manage your depression.
- Increase your sense of self-esteem, confidence and assertiveness.
- Explore which parts of your life you don't find fulfilling and satisfying and to
- explore any changes you could make.
- Improve your relationships with your partner, family, friends and colleagues.
- Become aware of the effect of past events and decrease the impact they have in the present today.
- Acknowledge unhelpful habits and patterns in your life and create healthier ways.
I work with clients of all genders, sexualities, relationship styles, cultures, religious believes and none.
I have extensive experience and training for working with clients of sexuality, gender and relationship style diversities from an affirmative perspective. I have provided training for other therapists on working with LGBTQIA+ clients.
My specialist training has allowed me to be one of a very few therapists in Scotland to be listed in The Directory of Pink Therapists, Http://www.pinktherapy.com/en-gb/findatherapist.aspx
I see clients on a weekly or fortnightly basis.
My practice has over the years developed into one that attracts a huge percentage of men as clients. Many feel awkward talking about their feelings or asking for help when it comes to mental health issues for a variety of reasons and I specialise in supporting them to feel okay to do so. I've been there myself.
I integrate several Humanistic Therapy techniques from many methods of therapy. The most common ones I use are Gestalt therapy and Solution focused brief therapy for more information on these click on this link https://www.counselling-directory.org.uk/humanistic.html
"I underwent therapy for a number of long term difficulties with Allister, including anxiety, depression and relationship difficulties. Allister provided a safe, trusting environment where I could explore these issues. Allister helped me make choices that lead to personal growth and long lasting change as I have become able to deal much better with my difficulties. A huge thank you to Allister ! I.M., Glasgow".
"Allister created a space where I could be myself and openly talk about anything. He gave me the tools and experience to help unlock the answers to my problems." GD Edinburgh
"I saw Allister on a weekly basis for 6 months. He is very relatable, easy to get on with, and took great care to remember the details of my story. He listened carefully and spoke thoughtfully in each session, and his insights were extremely valuable in helping me on my way. I looked forward to the regular sessions each week, which became a steady cornerstone of my time in Edinburgh. I would highly recommend Allister to anyone considering professional help." EL Edinburgh
“As I am a woman reflecting on my bisexuality and midlife, I found working with Allister at the Forth Street rooms in Edinburgh valuable, energising and insightful. Allister is an excellent listener who is generous, challenging and thoughtful with his enquiries. He has a relaxed, compassionate and delightful presence. I would recommend Allister to anyone who is exploring their sexuality.”
Training, qualifications & experience
Graduate Diploma in Humanistic Psychotherapy from Spectrum Training,(London)
Post Graduate Certificate in Psychotherapy and a further 4 years at an on going Post Graduate Group.2004
Certificate in Counselling (Birkbeck College, UCL, London) 1998
- TA101 (Transactional Analysis)
- Domestic Violence Training (Abused Men In Scotland)
- Practical Application of Intimate Relationship Skills (Spectrum)
- Anger Management (Spectrum)
- Assertiveness Training (Spectrum)
- Coaching for Counsellors (Rowan Consultancy, Perth)
- Intimacy, Sex and Affairs (SAPC)
- Group Work (Pink Therapy)
- Plus various conferences throughout the year
- Emotional impact of Living with epilepsy (Epilepsy Scotland)
- Cruse Bereavement training
- Trinity Hospice bereavement training
- Plus various conferences throughout each year
Specialist Training for working with gender, sexual and relationship diversity clients.
- Essentials in Gender And Sexual Diversity Therapy (Pink Therapy)
- Working with Chemsex. (Pink Therapy).
- Understanding Kink & BDSM (Pink Therapy)
- Working with LGBTQI young People (BACP)
- Working with partners of Trans-Identified People (BACP)
- Asexualities: intimacy and desire (Pink Therapy)
- I'm too sexy: understanding sexual compulsivity in gay and bisexual men (Pink Therapy).
Trinity Hospice (London) 2005 - http://www.trinityhospice.org.uk
Safe Space (Dunfermline) 2007 - 2009 - https://safe-space.co.uk For survivors of childhood sexual abuse.
Abused Men in Scotland Helpline(AMIS) January 2015 to December 2017 https://www.amis.org.uk
I am a Registered Member of the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy. www.bacpregister.org.uk (I am listed in Edinburgh)
I was a founding member of the BACP Coaching Section. www.bacpcoaching.co.uk
I am listed in The Directory of Pink Therapists. www.pinktherapy.com
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
- Emotional impact of living with epilepsy.
- Kink/BDSM aware therapist.
- Chemsex aware therapist.
- Asexuality and celibacy.
- People in non-traditional relationships (including polyamorous and other forms of consensual non-monogamy).
Photos & videos
All sessions with me cost £60.00. Each session last for 50 minutes.
I accept payment by cash or cheque at each session. PayPal payments can also be accepted by agreement in advance. PayPal payments are made via my website.
Making an initial appointment.
I make all initial appointments by telephone. My calls routinely go to voicemail, please ensure you leave a message. I return calls and emails between 10am and 8pm, Sunday to Friday.
When you contact me please be sure to tell me whether you want to see me in Glasgow or Edinburgh.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Wednesday 11am - 9pm
Thursday 11am - 9pm
Sunday 10am - 6pm
Monday, Tuesday 12noon - 8pm, Friday 12noon - 7pm
Types of client