Allister Murdoch Reg. MBACP
28 Forth Street
The Consulting Rooms
The Connal Building
34 West George Street
I have appointment slots available this week for new clients.
I provide a counselling and psychotherapy service for individual adults in Glasgow and Edinburgh city centres. I opened this full time practice in 2007. I had previous practiced in London before moving back to Scotland.
I specialise in working with individual clients wanting therapy for:
- Abuse (Current/Survivors)
- LGBTQIA+ issues
- Counselling for Men
- Relationship issues
In counselling and psychotherapy you can learn to:
- Manage anxiety and stressful situations more effectively,
- Understand and manage your depression.
- Increase your sense of self-esteem, confidence and assertiveness.
- Explore which parts of your life you don't find fulfilling and satisfying and to
- explore any changes you could make.
- Improve your relationships with your partner, family, friends and colleagues.
- Become aware of the effect of past events and decrease the impact they have in the present today.
- Acknowledge unhelpful habits and patterns in your life and create healthier ways.
I work with clients of all genders, sexualities, relationship styles, cultures, religious believes and none.
I have extensive experience and training for working with clients of sexuality, gender and relationship style diversities from an affirmative perspective. I have provided training for other therapists on working with LGBTQIA+ clients.
I see clients on a weekly or fortnightly basis.
My practice has over the years developed into one that attracts a huge percentage of men as clients. Many feel awkward talking about their feelings or asking for help when it comes to mental health issues for a variety of reasons and I specialise in supporting them to feel okay to do so. I've been there myself.
I integrate several Humanistic Therapy techniques from many methods of therapy. The most common ones I use are Gestalt therapy and Solution focused brief therapy for more information on these click on this link https://www.counselling-directory.org.uk/humanistic.html
"I underwent therapy for a number of long term difficulties with Allister, including anxiety, depression and relationship difficulties. Allister provided a safe, trusting environment where I could explore these issues. Allister helped me make choices that lead to personal growth and long-lasting change as I have become able to deal much better with my difficulties. A huge thank you to Allister! I.M., Glasgow".
"Allister created a space where I could be myself and openly talk about anything. He gave me the tools and experience to help unlock the answers to my problems." GD Edinburgh
"I saw Allister on a weekly basis for 6 months. He is very relatable, easy to get on with, and took great care to remember the details of my story. He listened carefully and spoke thoughtfully in each session, and his insights were extremely valuable in helping me on my way. I looked forward to the regular sessions each week, which became a steady cornerstone of my time in Edinburgh. I would highly recommend Allister to anyone considering professional help." EL Edinburgh
Training, qualifications & experience
Graduate Diploma in Humanistic Psychotherapy from Spectrum Training,(London)
Post Graduate Certificate in Psychotherapy and a further 4 years at an on going Post Graduate Group.2004
Certificate in Counselling (Birkbeck College, UCL, London) 1998
- TA101 (Transactional Analysis)
- Domestic Violence Training (Abused Men In Scotland)
- Practical Application of Intimate Relationship Skills (Spectrum)
- Anger Management (Spectrum)
- Assertiveness Training (Spectrum)
- Coaching for Counsellors (Rowan Consultancy, Perth)
- Intimacy, Sex and Affairs (SAPC)
- Group Work (Pink Therapy)
- Plus various conferences throughout the year
- Emotional impact of Living with epilepsy (Epilepsy Scotland)
- Cruse Bereavement training
- Trinity Hospice bereavement training
- Plus various conferences throughout each year
Specialist Training for working with gender, sexual and relationship diversity clients.
- Essentials in Gender And Sexual Diversity Therapy (Pink Therapy)
- Working with Chemsex. (Pink Therapy).
- Understanding Kink & BDSM (Pink Therapy)
- Working with LGBTQI young People (BACP)
- Working with partners of Trans-Identified People (BACP)
- Asexualities: intimacy and desire (Pink Therapy)
- I'm too sexy: understanding sexual compulsivity in gay and bisexual men (Pink Therapy).
Trinity Hospice (London) 2005 - http://www.trinityhospice.org.uk
Safe Space (Dunfermline) 2007 - 2009 - https://safe-space.co.uk For survivors of childhood sexual abuse.
Abused Men in Scotland Helpline(AMIS) January 2015 to December 2017 https://www.amis.org.uk
I am a Registered Member of the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy. www.bacpregister.org.uk (I am listed in Edinburgh)
I was a founding member of the BACP Coaching Section. www.bacpcoaching.co.uk
I am listed in The Directory of Pink Therapists. www.pinktherapy.com
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Panic disorder
- Physical abuse
Other areas of counselling I deal with
- Emotional impact of living with epilepsy.
- Kink/BDSM aware therapist
- Chemsex aware therapist
- Counselling for problematic use of party drugs.
Photos & videos
My full cost sessions cost £55.00 per session. Each session last for 50 minutes.
I offer lower priced sessions costing £40.00 per session to full time students, students on counselling courses and clients with an annual income of less than £20K per annum. (proof required).
I accept payment by cash or cheque at each session. PayPal payments can also be accepted by agreement in advance. PayPal payments are made via my website.
Making an initial appointment.
When you contact me please be sure to tell me whether you want to see me in Glasgow or Edinburgh. My calls routinely go to voicemail, please ensure you leave a message. When you leave a voicemail I will call you within 24 hours (normally much quicker).
I return calls between 10am and 8pm. If you do not answer my call I will leave a message on your voicemail if possible or I will send you an email to let you know I have called.
I don't make initial appointments by email. I only make initial appointments by telephone.
If you include a telephone number in your enquiry I will contact you by telephone rather than by email.
In line with General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), any personal information you send via this website, will only be used in order for me to contact you. Your personal details will not be retained for any other purpose, nor will they be shared with any other organisation. By contacting me you are agreeing to me holding your information for the purpose of contacting you only.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Monday, Tuesday and Friday 10am -9pm
Wednesday, Thursday 10am to 9pm
Saturday & Sunday 10am to 5pm
Appointments available this week.
Types of client