Zeljka Whittaker BSc (Hons) Psych/Soc; PG Dip CBT
Having qualified as a Cognitive Behavioural Therapist, I spent a number of years working for the NHS as a Psychotherapist in Primary Care.
I would describe myself as a therapist with a strong humanistic attitude. I am passionate about helping people deal with complex situations and difficult feelings in ways that fit most comfortably within their own unique set of circumstances; by using methods and techniques that have been established as most effective for relieving emotional distress, relationship difficulties and addressing those often unhelpful, but nevertheless enduring, patterns of behaviour.
I work with the whole range of issues (from depression, anxiety, loss and bereavement; through to consequences of trauma, childhood neglect, sexual abuse, and bullying) but specialise in stress reduction; anxiety; low self-esteem; relationship & couples counselling as well as issues caused by both current and past traumatic events; difficult experiences; and all forms of bullying.
As an experienced psychotherapist, I believe that helping people understand their emotions goes a long way towards helping them become stronger and more confident and thereby more able to deal with life’s challenges. My mission is to help you learn to listen to yourself more deeply and thereby come as close as you can to enjoying as many moments of your life as your own circumstances will allow you.
Training, qualifications & experience
BSc (Hons) Psychology & Sociology Combined - (University of Glamorgan)
Postgraduate Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) (University of Wales, Newport)
- Relational Couples Counselling: Advanced PG Certificate (Therapy Works, Cardiff)
- Working Therapeutically with Couples (MindFields College, Bristol)
- Counselling for Trauma Caused by Rape and Sexual Abuse (New Pathways)
- Group Therapy for Survivors of Sexual Abuse (Sexual Abuse Trauma Training Group)
- Bereavement Counselling (Cruse Bereavement Care)
- MI in Alcohol Abuse (Gwent Council on Alcohol and Drug Misuse)
- Practitioner Skills for Eating Disorders (National Centre for Eating Disorders)
- CBT-E for Eating Disorders (University of Oxford)
- Motivational Work with Eating Disorders (STEPs, Bristol)
- Acceptance Therapy and Mindfulness (Cwm Taf Health Board)
- Introduction to Transactional Analysis (ITA, Cambridge)
- Introduction to Cognitive Analytical Therapy (Cwm Taf Health Board)
After retiring from the NHS, where I worked as a Psychotherapist in Primary Care, I returned to private practice where I originally started just over 12 years ago. Before joining the NHS in 2009 I spent a number of years working for an agency dedicated to helping both victims and survivors of rape & sexual abuse and more recently I worked for a large group practice based in Cardiff Bay.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Asperger's syndrome
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Physical abuse
- Acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT)
- Behavioural therapy
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
Individuals: £40 for 60 minutes.
Couples: £60 for 60 minutes or £75 for 90 minutes starting before 6:00 pm.
Please send me an email, text or call me on 07534 080019 for further information and details. If I am unable to take your call, please leave a message and I will call you back as soon as I can.
Please note that I am unable to offer on-line counselling.
All work is conducted in strictest confidence and in accordance with the BACP Ethical Framework for Counselling Professions.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Appointments available throughout the week - please contact me for current availability.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|