Sue Atkins Psychotherapist, Couples Counsellor, Trauma therapist MSc UKCP MBACP
I am an experienced, UKCP Registered Psychotherapist and I offer:
- Online therapy, counselling and IFS for individuals and couples
- Psychotherapy (Integrative-Relational Psychotherapy)
- Couples Counselling
- Couples and Family therapy
- EMDR, Internal Family Systems therapy and other Trauma therapy interventions
- Counselling - brief, open ended and solution focussed
- Supervision to other practitioners
- Coaching - Life coaching and Work and Transition coaching
- Anxiety Management
Psychotherapy is a process that works through a therapeutic partnership between the client and the therapist, to explore and challenge the patterns that you may identify in your life that hold you back, or to deal with issues in relationships or experiences. I offer a confidential, neutral space to work through difficult feelings, gain insights, facilitate psychological, emotional and behavioural change and learn to manage things differently.
Psychotherapy usually differs from counselling in terms of the depth and focus of the work. Counselling often works with a particular issue.
Couples Counselling and Therapy can help to improve communication, help with feelings of stuckness and repeating patterns in a relationship; address issues regarding trust and conflict and help to move towards a better understanding. I offer a safe and impartial space to work with you to look safely together at the issues you are facing in your relationship, enabling difficult things to be said, challenged and addressed and developing greater intimacy.
I have many years experience as a Psychotherapist and also in Counselling, working in a variety of settings, including the NHS, higher education, the voluntary sector and the private sector.
I work with a variety of issues, including issues in relationships, low mood, trauma, anxiety (including health anxiety), depression, sex and sexuality, sexual orientation and change, anger management, problems at work and career change, transitions, obsessions, eating issues, stress, loneliness, personal development, early childhood trauma and abuse experiences, family dynamics, birth trauma and parenting issues, loss and bereavement and issues around disability and degenerative illness.
I offer coaching for people who wish to make significant changes in their lives, enhance or change their career or feel there is something missing and wish to explore this.
I have extensive experience working with individuals and groups as a supervisor and within organisations including team interventions, staff counselling, coaching, anxiety management groups and individual mentoring. I also offer consultation on group dynamics for organisations dealing with issues related to people or going through transition.
Training, qualifications & experience
- I have an MSc in Integrative Psychotherapy and am registered with UKCP (the United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy)
- I have a further qualification in Couples and Family Therapy, training at The Bridge Foundation in Bristol and an advanced training in Couples Therapy.
- I am also trained in Group work, Trauma therapy and Supervision.
- I am trained in EMDR and Internal Family Systems and use these highly effective therapeutic interventions where appropriate.
- I believe in continually enhancing my knowledge and training in keeping up with scientific research and developments in the field.
- I have additional training in online therapy, CBT, Mindfulness techniques and Anxiety management specialist interest
The two Couples therapy trainings that I have undertaken and 15 years of experience in working with couples and adult families have given me a particular interest in this area.
In addition to private practice, I work with EAPs and take NHS referrals and organisational and coaching referrals. I have worked for a number of organisations as a psychotherapist and counsellor in a variety of settings, including the NHS, Higher Education and in voluntary sector organisations. I have run Anxiety management groups in NHS settings.
I have a background in business management and consultation and include coaching in my work where required.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Attachment disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Drug addiction
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Health anxiety
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic attacks
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex addiction
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
- Complex Trauma
- Birth trauma
- Parenting Issues
- Cross Dressing
- Somatization disorder
- Internal Family Systems Therapy
- Vicarious trauma - (particularly in health and social care professionals)
My fees are:
£75 - £85 per session (50 minutes) for Individuals (1 hour Assessments are £85 - £95)
EMDR and Internal Family Systems therapy and Clinical Supervision have their own payment structure
£100 per session for Couples (60 minutes) and/or Families.
Some concessional spaces may be available on a needs basis.
Where there are access issues I may offer online individual therapy or supervision.
I work with professionals from many walks of life, including among many others, the creative arts; the legal, medical, education and business professions.
I offer life, work and transition coaching.
I deliver workshops on trauma, vicarious trauma and relationships, to organisations where individuals are working with challenges client groups.
I am currently undertaking further additional training in therapy interventions that work with trauma and the body.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
|Wheelchair user access:||No|
I work online and also from two consulting rooms. There are six steps down to the entrance at one and four steps up to the entrance at the other. Both rooms are quiet, once accessed, for those with hearing difficulties.
Weekday day times and some evening consultations. Online work. Regular weekly appointments. Couples therapy and counselling.
EMDR and Internal Family Systems therapy
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training
I am an experienced, UKCP Registered Psychotherapist, with an MSc in Integrative Psychotherapy from Middlesex University and Metanoia Institute.View supervision profile