Five tips to help you stand in your power
8th June, 20150 Comments
When we talk about standing in our power it can be interpreted in so many ways, negative as well as positive. There may be some thought of self-importance or self-indulgence when we speak about having this ability.
So how do we give our power away?
Firstly we do it our own way! We easily give our power away when we self-sabotage our achievements and successes. When we allow others to dictate which restaurant we go to or give in to our kids just to keep the peace.
There are so many benefits when we fully embrace the skill of owning our truth and being ok with it. We can live an authentic life and fully embracing ourselves as a whole. Acknowledging and having the awareness of what is important to us, speaking our truth with love and compassion, knowing we are ok with every decision we make, allowing life to flow during the ups and downs while keeping grounded and calm.
The thing is we don’t have to wait until we feel better or more ready we have a choice to stand in our power now!
1. Use a daily mantra such as “Today I will stand in my power because I am worthy and I honour myself” Choose words that really resonate with you.
2. Stop being a martyr. Being a people pleaser is draining and dis-empowering, there are going to be people in this lifetime that don’t like us and that is ok.
3. Understand that whatever anyone says about us it is none of our business.
4. Ask yourself in each moment “Am I standing in my power?” If the answer is no, ask “What do I need to change so that I am?”
5. Be kind and gentle with yourself, especially when you are starting out on this new journey of finding and standing in your power. Remember if it didn't work out how you thought it would, keep practising and know the more you embrace this the more it will naturally just flow.
“You have power over your mind, not outside events. Realise this, and you will find strength.” - Marcus Aurelius
Related articles from our experts
Nic HighamJune 30th, 2018
Jayne Phillips, Therapeutic Counsellor, Dip Couns, MBACP RegisteredJuly 13th, 2018
Keeley Townsend BA (Hons), Ad.Dip.CP with Distinction, MNCS (Acc)December 14th, 2009
Imi Lo: Specialist Psychotherapist, Art Therapist (MMH,FRSA,UKCP,HCPC)March 29th, 2015
Counselling Directory is not responsible for the articles published by members. The views expressed are those of the member who wrote the article.