Introduction to mindfulness taster session
This session is appropriate for people who are completely new to mindfulness or have limited experience of it. No preparation is necessary, this is simply an opportunity to be led in some popular meditations, and to find out how to develop a mindfulness practice which suits your lifestyle.
Mindfulness is about focusing on the here and now, normally using the breath as a way to be present and relaxed. It is an evidence based approach to managing stress, anxiety, and depression.
The session will be adapted around the group's interests and needs, but here is a short outline of what to expect on the day:
- I will begin by introducing the principles of mindfulness (acceptance, beginners mind, non judging.
- Then I will lead two short sitting meditations - three minutes, and ten minutes. This will give you some experience of what mindfulness is, and we will talk about how it feels and what challenges it brings up.
- We will take a mindfulness coffee break to try a different type of practice and to begin to think about how to bring mindfulness into a busy work day.
- If the weather is good we will do some mindful walking outside in the garden and spend some time reflecting on whether people prefer that to the sitting exercises.
- We will then explore different ways to be mindful and plan how to incorporate these into your daily life.
I will also be providing advice and information about the resources available to continue your practice, for example apps, podcasts, poetry, and books, to start to become mindful on a regular basis.
It will be a very relaxed, fun, informative session!
Please email me at email@example.com for further details.
About the host
I am a qualified psychotherapist, mental health social worker, and approved mental health professional with six years experience working in the NHS. I also work in private practice as a psychotherapist.
I am qualified to run mindfulness based cognitive therapy groups and have a passion for introducing people to mindfulness for the first time.