CPCAB level 2 certificate in counselling skills
This is a 30 week course, three hours per week (6-9pm) on a Monday evening beginning on 18th September 2017 in Kettering, Northamptonshire.
The course is designed to give learners the knowledge, skills and competencies to use counselling skills ethically and safely in a variety of contexts and roles.
- Level two (GCSE A-C) in literacy or numeracy (or equivalent). If you don’t have this level of literacy this does not preclude you from the course but you will need to complete a short written piece as part of your application.
- Good IT skills.
- A willingness to discuss thoughts and feelings with others as part of a group, one to one with other students and tutors and in writing.
- A willingness to give feedback to and receive feedback from others in the group.
- Be committed to exploring your own values, beliefs and attitudes and examining how you relate to other people.
- Be committed to the learning process and completing the necessary homework to fulfil the requirements of the course.
- Not experiencing any current emotional or psychological problems or have recently or are currently experiencing a significant life event.
- It is preferable that students have completed a CPCAB introduction to counselling skills course, however, other courses will be considered on a case by case basis and a written piece of work will need to be submitted to support the application.
A large part of the course is experiential learning and observation and involves a commitment to personal development/developing self-awareness.
The course contains the following units:-
- Using basic counselling skills within the limits of a helping role.
- Establishing a helping interaction.
- Communicating understanding of other person’s concerns.
- Focussing on the person’s agenda.
- Understanding the importance of self-awareness in helping work.
- Using different types of listening and responding skills in a helping interaction.
About the host
My name is Kelly Porch and I am the manager of the Northamptonshire Centre for Counselling Studies and also course tutor for the CPCAB introduction to counselling skills course (ICSK-L2) and certificate in counselling skills (CSK-L2).
I am a qualified person-centered counsellor and a registered member of the BACP.